+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: McEnroe Borg Fire and Ice...

McEnroe Borg Fire and Ice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etg6AvAwRoU

Superb 60 minute documentary of the rivalry and friendship between two of tennis's greatest rivals. Young tennis prodigies who never won a grand slam after the age of 25. Maybe I enjoyed it so much because I lived through it watching in awe like everyone else.

If you weren't lucky enough to do that watch it anyway, you'll be thrilled.

Re: McEnroe Borg Fire and Ice...

Wow! A thread merging Tennis, Star Trek and Game of Thrones!

Seriously though, I used to watch tennis in those days, as it was miles more entertaining than the base-line smashing of today.
    Will watch it later.

It's very good. I don't like Tennis, don't watch it or understand the game, but the complexities of both Athletes and the need for each other in a competitive sense is fascinating. I've always liked Boxing, it's probably my favourite sport, i find it very interesting to see how Athletes who compete individually, function, prepare, sacrifice, deal with failure and success. Tennis reminds me of Boxing on those levels.

Tennis is a challenge mentally aswell as playing the game, the stuff Mac used to do to unsettle his opponents, he’d almost have to go nuts to play his best tennis also. His biography and how things were with Borg, connors and Lendl is great.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Seriously though, I used to watch tennis in those days, as it was miles more entertaining than the base-line smashing of today.
    Will watch it later.
    You're right, there were more characters in the sport during the years of Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Nastase and Gabriella Sabatini was definitely easy on the eye.

The main reason though I watched Wimbledon was to see the clothing, trainers Borg, McEnroe & co were sporting.

I can't have been the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You're right, there were more characters in the sport during the years of Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Nastase and Gabriella Sabatini was definitely easy on the eye.

The main reason though I watched Wimbledon was to see the clothing, trainers Borg, McEnroe & co were sporting.

I was never into Fila, Tacchini, Yes! I hate all of that reproduction Fila and ellesse stuff, it just doesn't look right, and even worse on 50 year old men with a gut and thinning hair Bring back the Adidas Colorado and i might get interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I was never into Fila, Tacchini, Yes! I hate all of that reproduction Fila and ellesse stuff, it just doesn't look right, and even worse on 50 year old men with a gut and thinning hair Bring back the Adidas Colorado and i might get interested!
    Your right. If your in bad shape wearing that gear is a really bad look. Fila and Elesse should sue.😂😂

You're right butt.

50 year old men prancing about in any 'casual' labelled gear and still trying to look and play the part make me cringe.

There's plenty about in South Wales too. Living their teens and early 20s all over again.

Adidas Colarado was a great hoodie that with their New York.

yes loved that period too was a half decent player myself played for the Mackintosh Tennis club and represented south glam schools used to use a donnay wooden racket the one Borg used to play with and my tacchini polo shirt was my pride and joy from 1983-1984 till I had it nicked off the clothes line !

You're right butt.

50 year old men prancing about in any 'casual' labelled gear and still trying to look and play the part make me cringe.

There's plenty about in South Wales too. Living their teens and early 20s all over again.

Adidas Colarado was a great hoodie that with their New York.
    Reply to Hilts as well. Thing is, the Fila, Ellesse, Tachini stuff was very early on, late 70's early 80's and was predominantly worn by teenagers and those in their early twenties. The second and third phase stuff could be got away with if you were a bit older as there wasn't the 'Sports' theme connected to it, hence being a fat middle aged bastard was never going to work!

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    yes loved that period too was a half decent player myself played for the Mackintosh Tennis club and represented south glam schools used to use a donnay wooden racket the one Borg used to play with and my tacchini polo shirt was my pride and joy from 1983-1984 till I had it nicked off the clothes line !
    Used to play back then also, still do now after a 20 year break was a member of the castle club in town, loads of good players and kids a bit older than me all got given free rackets and clothes. Remember one of them selling a an ellesse track top for peanuts as he had a few anyway…safe to say I never made the mistake of wearing it into town again….that was the fastest I’d ever run with about 5 older docks boys in hot persuit….didn’t catch me though the motherf*ckers!

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    If it’s this one

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Bjorn-...-For-Sale.aspx

Should have kept it

First Team

Despite not really liking tennis I found this fascinating.

It is a sport that throws up some very interesting characters on a consistent basis.

As others have suggested maybe it is the sports that are one on one that attract the more complex individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Wow! A thread merging Tennis, Star Trek and Game of Thrones!

Reply to Hilts as well. Thing is, the Fila, Ellesse, Tachini stuff was very early on, late 70's early 80's and was predominantly worn by teenagers and those in their early twenties. The second and third phase stuff could be got away with if you were a bit older as there wasn't the 'Sports' theme connected to it, hence being a fat middle aged bastard was never going to work!
    When I was in school I used to wear sports gear ( Fila , Ellesse and Tacinini and Kappa) then got into CP and Stone Island at about 19/20 . Swank in London was a favourite shop of mine

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    When I was in school I used to wear sports gear ( Fila , Ellesse and Tacinini and Kappa) then got into CP and Stone Island at about 19/20 . Swank in London was a favourite shop of mine
    Used to pop over to Bristol for trainers, or Bolwells in Blackwood for the deadstock. Edwards sports in St Johns square used to have the odd pair of Gazelle etc, but that was about it in cardiff.

It's very good. I don't like Tennis, don't watch it or understand the game, but the complexities of both Athletes and the need for each other in a competitive sense is fascinating. I've always liked Boxing, it's probably my favourite sport, i find it very interesting to see how Athletes who compete individually, function, prepare, sacrifice, deal with failure and success. Tennis reminds me of Boxing on those levels.
    I think you can take that further to include any sports where it is 1 v 1. One of my favourite sports is darts, where a player can literally have darts to win a game and still lose. I don't think there are too many sports where a player has the opportunity to win a game where their opponent cannot do anything about it. In snooker there's been many a match where a player has been a ball or two away from victory and lost, I guess that's a sort of parallel. In tennis, where a player serves for the match and gets broken, that could just be because of one inspired game from the opponent. A boxer could be points ahead and be knocked out, mainly because of the opponent lifting their performance.

The drama of it all is incredible and makes sport what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    If it’s this one

http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Bjorn-...-For-Sale.aspx

Should have kept it
    My brother shared a house in London years ago and one of his mates worked at Heathrow. Jimmy Connors left a bag of rackets behind after a tournament and as he didn't want them back I ended up getting one of his Wilson T2000 warmup rackets from my brother's mate. Ended up swapping it for some shit I can't remember about a year later 🤦*♂️