+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol

Pistol

The new Danny Boyle documentary about the Sex Pistols on Disney Plus.

It's rubbish, save yourself the money and don't bother.

Re: Pistol

Just play Never Mind The Bollocks loudly

lets hope we kill bambi tomorrow

some say its number 1 again on social media but whatever a tune to jump around too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ah1JM9mf60

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    some say its number 1 again on social media but whatever a tune to jump around too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ah1JM9mf60

Not even in the top 60 unfortunately.

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Not even in the top 60 unfortunately.

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/
    oh well msn full of shyte again

my fav pistol song 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-bC0pjMFNc

i,m a lazy sod ..........

overrated massively. The Clash were the band to follow. Strummer/Jones - rarely bettered

Quote Originally Posted by Terrace View View Post
    overrated massively. The Clash were the band to follow. Strummer/Jones - rarely bettered
    oh come on terrace view music fads and tastes vary between all genre of music lets appreciate all kinds

the clash were great along with most bands that come from that era

of all the punk and post punk bands the buzzcocks and undertones were my fav and later cock sparrer took that mantle

my fav clash track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvG3is7Bm1w

It’s not a documentary. It’s not the story of The Sex Pistols, it’s Steve Jones’s story (hence Pistol) and in my opinion it’s very good. I’d considered myself pretty knowledgeable about all things punk but I didn’t know for example that Chrissie Hynde was so involved from the beginning. I didn’t know the background to ‘Bodies’ either. It’s also been good to give my wife the back story to the whole thing.. she didn’t know about Vivienne Westwood’s involvement or the link to Siouxsie and Steve Severin.

In terms of entertainment and nostalgia I’d highly recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s not a documentary. It’s not the story of The Sex Pistols, it’s Steve Jones’s story (hence Pistol) and in my opinion it’s very good. I’d considered myself pretty knowledgeable about all things punk but I didn’t know for example that Chrissie Hynde was so involved from the beginning. I didn’t know the background to ‘Bodies’ either. It’s also been good to give my wife the back story to the whole thing.. she didn’t know about Vivienne Westwood’s involvement or the link to Siouxsie and Steve Severin.

In terms of entertainment and nostalgia I’d highly recommend it
    I have not seen the film, but I have read Steve Jones autobiography. I would highly recommend it as it gives in detail, mostly shockingly and graphic, his upbringing from a child, through the circumstance of the Sex Pistols forming, their demise and his life after.

Spoiler alert… all I can say is, if the film is based on his book, there will be plenty of sex and drugs and rock and roll, and total lack of respect of authority, as one might expect. However, a lot of that excess is by the time the guy barely reaches his teens. If Rotten, Cook and Matlock (and Vicious) had similar upbringings, also add to that the state that the Country was in at the time, you will have a great understanding of what they represented to lots of young people at the time.

A final thought… as the book is a shockingly honest read, I would be interested what they actually show of it on Disney channel

The Sex Pistols on the Disney Channel? Oh, the irony....

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    The Sex Pistols on the Disney Channel? Oh, the irony....
    Johnny Rotten wanted nothing to do with this Disney project…..Jonesy was in town last week but preferred to go and see his beloved Chelsea play than go to the after party in Camden but he needs the money. him and cookie are cashing in so the swindle continues.

Punk was a load of Shyte, nothing to do with music.

The Sex Pistols were nothing more than a manufactured boy band, by a willey, cunning entrepreneur of a manager. Felt this about the band back in in '76. Still feel this today

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Punk was a load of Shyte, nothing to do with music.
    I tend to agree with you there matey. Saw most of the punk bands live back in the day live. The only one that really impressed me were The Stranglers. The worst of the lot? The Clash! Saw them in November '77, what a tuneless racket!! Could barely play their instruments at that time and none of the feckers could sing. Saint Strummer sounded like an old dog with very bad laryngitis
    Last edited by Mr Soul '68; 05-06-22 at 09:40. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Johnny Rotten wanted nothing to do with this Disney project…..Jonesy was in town last week but preferred to go and see his beloved Chelsea play than go to the after party in Camden but he needs the money. him and cookie are cashing in so the swindle continues.
    So, you’ve not watched it then?😂

So, you’ve not watched it then?😂
    Don’t need to - I was there at the time.

https://youtu.be/yzFFtBsl5ps

The start of this is flat out metal

Bass , drums , riffing

Most punk was far too tinny

Pistols , UK subs ,Clash , 999 , all too lightweight

Discharge , Conflict , Dead Kennedys I could listen to being a metal head

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    The Sex Pistols were nothing more than a manufactured boy band, by a willey, cunning entrepreneur of a manager. Felt this about the band back in in '76. Still feel this today
    Of course they were, but it was a truly outstanding example of entrepreneurialism that recognized the need for it at the time.

In terms of what it spawned music wise I can’t think of a more influential time (I was too young for The Beatles)…. Without punk and everything it spawned we’d have been stuck with pretentious prog rock and the guitar solo’s and screeching vocals of heavy metal which I hated at the time. Over time I’ve mellowed a bit and can listen to Zeppelin and Deep Purple etc… but give me Nas or NWA or Eminem over that anyday. Under no circumstances will you find me going anywhere near Yes or early Genesis though

Of course they were, but it was a truly outstanding example of entrepreneurialism that recognized the need for it at the time.

In terms of what it spawned music wise I can’t think of a more influential time (I was too young for The Beatles)…. Without punk and everything it spawned we’d have been stuck with pretentious prog rock and the guitar solo’s and screeching vocals of heavy metal which I hated at the time. Over time I’ve mellowed a bit and can listen to Zeppelin and Deep Purple etc… but give me Nas or NWA or Eminem over that anyday. Under no circumstances will you find me going anywhere near Yes or early Genesis though
    Some well made points there matey. I guess it was a very influential time. Although I saw most of the protagonists live, I could never, ever get swept up in the punk rock 'revolution'. I was, at the time a huge fan of rock music (mostly of a blues rock variety) with bands like Free, Skynyrd, Lizzy, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Hendrix, Cream, Hawkwind etc. I agree with what you say about prog rock. I saw Yes live in '75 at the Capitol Theatre, and they were one long bore. I just can't get into rap (which to me Nas, NWA and Enimen are).

Although I saw most of the protagonists live, I could never, ever get swept up in the punk rock 'revolution'. I was, at the time a huge fan of rock music (mostly of a blues rock variety) with bands like Free, Skynyrd, Lizzy, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Hendrix, Cream, Hawkwind etc.
    As you know, Free disbanded in 1973, Cream broke up in 1968, Peter Green departed Fleetwood Mac in 1970 and Jimi Hendrix died the same year. By 1976, you must surely have been ready for something new?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    As you know, Free disbanded in 1973, Cream broke up in 1968, Peter Green departed Fleetwood Mac in 1970 and Jimi Hendrix died the same year. By 1976, you must surely have been ready for something new?
    I was 18 in the summer of '77 when punk broke big. No, I wasn't ready for anything new, at all. I loved the 'old guard' and still do. Having an open mind to any form of music I did witness live during '76/77 among others: The Damned, The Stranglers, The Clash, The Jam, Eddie & The Hot Rods, Wayne County & The Electric Chairs, The Vibrators, Ultravox (with John Foxx)and The Saints. None of those moved me live in the way, say Thin Lizzy did at the time. Hawkwind and Dr. Feelgood also and Rainbow too.

I watched it. It's decent enough. It was entertaining enough for me to binge 4 episodes on the first night.

Some well made points there matey. I guess it was a very influential time. Although I saw most of the protagonists live, I could never, ever get swept up in the punk rock 'revolution'. I was, at the time a huge fan of rock music (mostly of a blues rock variety) with bands like Free, Skynyrd, Lizzy, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Hendrix, Cream, Hawkwind etc. I agree with what you say about prog rock. I saw Yes live in '75 at the Capitol Theatre, and they were one long bore. I just can't get into rap (which to me Nas, NWA and Enimen are).
    Rap has been a battle for me as well. I didn’t like any of it for years but have warmed to it through my kids. I only really referenced it to highlight the fact that I preferred it over heavier stuff and obviously prog rock🤣, but still give me punk or it’s evolution any day. I’m glad in hindsight I wasn’t 18 in 1977 like you…(I was 12/13) I often wonder how life might’ve been different if I’d been fully able to throw myself into the punk scene, because I’m pretty sure I would have