+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol

Re: Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I watched it. It's decent enough. It was entertaining enough for me to binge 4 episodes on the first night.
    Same. First 4 were the most enjoyable too. Enough for me to order the book which I hadn’t considered before watching

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    The Sex Pistols were nothing more than a manufactured boy band, by a willey, cunning entrepreneur of a manager. Felt this about the band back in in '76. Still feel this today
    I can't believe people are still peddling this nonsense. Suggest you watch the documentary or read their books. You might learn a thing or two.

You're going to tell me next it wasn't actually them playing on the records, right?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s not a documentary. It’s not the story of The Sex Pistols, it’s Steve Jones’s story (hence Pistol) and in my opinion it’s very good. I’d considered myself pretty knowledgeable about all things punk but I didn’t know for example that Chrissie Hynde was so involved from the beginning. I didn’t know the background to ‘Bodies’ either. It’s also been good to give my wife the back story to the whole thing.. she didn’t know about Vivienne Westwood’s involvement or the link to Siouxsie and Steve Severin.

In terms of entertainment and nostalgia I’d highly recommend it
    The promo trailer is really embarrassing.

If the insights above are the reason for watching then I'll steer well clear - they are all pretty well known already to anyone with a vague interest in music at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    I can't believe people are still peddling this nonsense. Suggest you watch the documentary or read their books. You might learn a thing or two.

You're going to tell me next it wasn't actually them playing on the records, right?
    Nah, I won't be reading any books on the band. Not really into manufactured boy bands, thanks. I certainly won't be watching the documentary if it is on the Disney channel. Weren't Disney all about fairy tales?

Hmmmmm...rumours persisted at the time and probably still do today, that Chris Spedding played lead guitar on their early demos...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    The promo trailer is really embarrassing.

If the insights above are the reason for watching then I'll steer well clear - they are all pretty well known already to anyone with a vague interest in music at that time.
    Strange how what people right can give insights to their personality 🤣

Strange how what people right can give insights to their personality 藍
    'right'?

Yes, VERY insightful.

Nah, I won't be reading any books on the band. Not really into manufactured boy bands, thanks. I certainly won't be watching the documentary if it is on the Disney channel. Weren't Disney all about fairy tales?
    Well unless you do, can you stop referring to them as a manufactured boy band and making yourself look ignorant and silly?

Hmmmmm...rumours persisted at the time and probably still do today, that Chris Spedding played lead guitar on their early demos...
    Those rumours still do persist sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    'right'?

Yes, VERY insightful.
    LOL … I completely missed that. Banged to writes 🤣

[QUOTE=stevo;5307501]Well unless you do, can you stop referring to them as a manufactured boy band and making yourself look ignorant and silly?

The Sex Pistols were seen at the time, and the legend has grown over the years, as the band being the saviours of rock n' roll. Although I purchased their first three singles (including 'Anarchy' as a French import from Spillers in early Sept. '76, as all UK pressings had sold out) I gradually came to see them as bit of a cartoon band. McLaren irritated the feck outta me, as did a lot of the dipstick punks about and around in Cardiff. By the time that odious creep Beverley had replaced Glen Matlock, I had washed my hands of the band. The more I read about the band over the coming years, it seems that they were put together by a very sussed, clued in entrepreneur. However which way you look at at it, they were a manufactured boy band. Just because their music is say different to the likes of Westlife, Take That etc etc, they are and were a manufactured band. End of

Also, as mentioned above, I loved my rock music. Although taking an interest in early punk, it was just a passing fad for me

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5307585]
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Well unless you do, can you stop referring to them as a manufactured boy band and making yourself look ignorant and silly?

The Sex Pistols were seen at the time, and the legend has grown over the years, as the band being the saviours of rock n' roll. Although I purchased their first three singles (including 'Anarchy' as a French import from Spillers in early Sept. '76, as all UK pressings had sold out) I gradually came to see them as bit of a cartoon band. McLaren irritated the feck outta me, as did a lot of the dipstick punks about and around in Cardiff. By the time that odious creep Beverley had replaced Glen Matlock, I had washed my hands of the band. The more I read about the band over the coming years, it seems that they were put together by a very sussed, clued in entrepreneur. However which way you look at at it, they were a manufactured boy band. Just because their music is say different to the likes of Westlife, Take That etc etc, they are and were a manufactured band. End of

Also, as mentioned above, I loved my rock music. Although taking an interest in early punk, it was just a passing fad for me
    Don’t you think that all bands are manufactured in some way. It’s really only marketing that created most of the hugely successful bands over time including probably all of those already mentioned in this thread. Ultimately even The Beatles and Elvis fall into the same camp and all you really need is for the music just to appeal to people.

[QUOTE=StraightOuttaCanton;5307639]

Don’t you think that all bands are manufactured in some way. It’s really only marketing that created most of the hugely successful bands over time including probably all of those already mentioned in this thread. Ultimately even The Beatles and Elvis fall into the same camp and all you really need is for the music just to appeal to people.
    The Beatles were playing together as a band before Brian Epstein came along, so no way could they be called manufactured.

The Sex Pistols were created by Malcom McLaren, therefore could be termed a manufactured band. He had a definite formula for creating the band he wanted and a definite image that he wanted them to have

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5307646]

The Beatles were playing together as a band before Brian Epstein came along, so no way could they be called manufactured.

The Sex Pistols were created by Malcom McLaren, therefore could be termed a manufactured band. He had a definite formula for creating the band he wanted and a definite image that he wanted them to have
    That wasn’t really my point…. Which bands would not have been successful without a marketing machine behind them? Mclaren spotted a way of exploiting record companies… it was all about money for everyone and the same is surely true for all bands … even those that you view through rose tinted specs who are apparently above all of that and would have been discovered by the world without any external influence 😏

[QUOTE=Mr Soul '68;5307646]

Sorry - inadvertently clicked it again

Same. First 4 were the most enjoyable too. Enough for me to order the book which I hadn’t considered before watching
    The book is a great read. Steve Jones is pretty (underground) famous over here. He used to have great radio show in LA called Jonesy's Jukebox which you could listen to over the internet. I think he does a podcast now.

A couple of points.
    3/4 of the Sex Pistols existed without any input from Mclaren. He was only instrumental in getting JL in. If you see that as manufacturing a boy band then fair enough but I find it a bit bizarre.

Steve Jones became a very influential guitarist with a successful post Pistols career. Cook and Matlock have also had successful Post Pistols careers. Lydon went onto form another extremely influential band post Pistols. Why some people find it so hard to believe they actually played on their early recordings is beyond me I'm afraid.

There seem to be a lot of people on here that don't know what a boy band is. I've seen it in countless threads. A boy band is manufactured from before its inception. Every member is hand picked, roles are chosen, songs are written for them. Just because a few blokes form a band and then have an influential manager, does not make them a "boy band". Are Led Zeppelin a "boy band"?