+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have the old guard run out of steam?

Have the old guard run out of steam?

Sacrilege I know, but have they?

Re: Have the old guard run out of steam?

No - they were immense today, especially Hennessey, Davies who were outstanding, Allen, Ramsey did their job, Bale short of match fitness.

Bale and Ramsey are not the force they were but still good players and vital for us.

There are other good old pros in the squad who young players not in the squad should be thinking I can replace them.

Hopefully a few start the season flying and give Page selection problems.

CM and central defence we badly need better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No - they were immense today, especially Hennessey, Davies who were outstanding, Allen, Ramsey did their job, Bale short of match fitness.
    Agree about Hennessy and Davies and the fitness of Bale and Ramsey. Allens had a mare tonight though.

It's not a like-for-like comparable situation for many reasons, but I thought our 'reserve' line up against Poland looked a lot more accomplished in midfield. Today Allen and Ramsey played 90 minutes, Bale 83 minutes. I doubt Page will be doing that in Qatar..

The heat in the desert will test em

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Davies is still a young lad!

Ramsey and Allen struggled with the ball movement of the Ukraine midfield at times, and Ramsey was getting ahead of the ball, which is his game so it's difficult to be critical. Overall though, they got the job done, so who gives a ****!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Sacrilege I know, but have they?
    Based on today's performance Bale, Ramsey and Allen Yes.
    The mitigating factors are Bale and Rambo are not 100%, but might never be. For Allen its the end of another hard season.
    Also Rambo and Allen played deep with players running at them from all angles and lacked support.

All gave everything they had.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The heat in the desert will test em
    they reckon it will be about 45C which is enough to cook an egg and some chips. Almost like an air fryer! the lads will be lucky to come out looking sweaty pale and losers

Bale still provided a telling contribution, may not be the player he was but he's still a real match winner. Ramsey has always blown hot and cold. I think Allen's days as a 90 minute player may be over, but I think he still offers something!!

18-25C average temperature...... Air con in all stadia. Probably won't be as shit as everyone thinks.....at least in terms of the weather.

Looks like it's probably a really boring place to go though in terms of the cultural opportunities whilst visiting...... You've got to wonder how the local police will take to the habits of football fans in terms of drinking and "having a fun time".

Must be better places in the Middle East to stage a WC if the objective is to take the tournament to further reaches.

Bale and Ramsey pulled us out of the dark days.They deserve respect.

We can't play with Aaron Ramsey and Joe Allen as our only central midfielders. Against Austria, Harry Wilson did a lot of tracking back to help them out, but he wasn't in the starting lineup today.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    18-25C average temperature...... Air con in all stadia. Probably won't be as shit as everyone thinks.....at least in terms of the weather.

Looks like it's probably a really boring place to go though in terms of the cultural opportunities whilst visiting...... You've got to wonder how the local police will take to the habits of football fans in terms of drinking and "having a fun time".

Must be better places in the Middle East to stage a WC if the objective is to take the tournament to further reaches.
    It will be a bit dryer than today, a typical June day in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Agree about Hennessy and Davies and the fitness of Bale and Ramsey. Allens had a mare tonight though.
    Thought it was a great squad performance. Nobody had a mare. Think thats very harsh on one of the best nights in our history.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Thought it was a great squad performance. Nobody had a mare. Think thats very harsh on one of the best nights in our history.
    Ok mare is harsh and to be fair he wasnt helped with the team selection. Hard night for him in a 2 man central midfield.

I thought Alan was a disaster waiting to happen. Amazed Page didn't bring on Morrel to shore things up.

Allen, even.

I thought Ramsey played well, obviously not his positions but that’s down to poor tactics. Hennessy and Davies our best players. Bale needs match fitness.

Concerning how long it took for changes.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's not a like-for-like comparable situation for many reasons, but I thought our 'reserve' line up against Poland looked a lot more accomplished in midfield. Today Allen and Ramsey played 90 minutes, Bale 83 minutes. I doubt Page will be doing that in Qatar..
    have to agree. Midfield were better in Poland.
    Spedger

We qualify for the World Cup for the first time in sixty four years and people want to rip the team sheet up . Ukraine overran Scotland’s midfield and it was pretty obvious that we weren’t going to have a great deal of possession today. Allen especially knows his role well enough to sniff out where he’s needed in a way that some of the younger players would not. If achievement is the measure, then this is the best Welsh side ever and now’s not the time to say goodbye to the players who have served the country so well for a dozen years or more - I think the time is coming quite soon, but you don’t ditch the players who know about playing in major tournaments a few months before another one.

Every team is only as good as they are today, not yesterday, not tomorrow, we’ve qualified for the World Cup Finals today and we’re in the top 32 in the world. Let’s enjoy it.

It was only last year that a fit Bale and Ramsey were instrumental in helping to knock Turkey out of the Euros with a fabulous performance. As has been said, now is not the time to start waving them goodbye and certainly not after one of the greatest nights in Welsh football history.