+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yma o Hyd

Yma o Hyd

When did this suddenly become such a prominent part of Welsh football? Amazing game,amazing atmosphere and we got over the line. Seemed a lot of Welsh language today

Re: Yma o Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    When did this suddenly become such a prominent part of Welsh football? Amazing game,amazing atmosphere and we got over the line. Seemed a lot of Welsh language today
    Not just me that was puzzled then!

I certainly hadn’t heard it sung before the Austria game. Now it’s very much part of the build up. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Not just me that was puzzled then!
    Nice little earner for Dafydd Iwan 😂

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Not been to a wales game for a few years, never even heard of it until the Austria game. I think it’s alright though, the north must love it and they travel down here all the time, no fuss….let them belt it out.

It is a favourite of Chris Gunter, He and Connor Roberts have been playing it in the dressing room before games for a while, and they personally invited Iwan to sing live for the Austria game.

Wasn’t it played down the City when we were over the road? I’m sure I’ve heard it at Ninian Park.

I can remember the squad more or less adopting the song during the 2016 Euros, so there’s been an association with it from well before the Austria match.

Ali Yassine played this at the Millennium Stadium before the 4-0 Wales v Azerbaijan game in 2003, so it’s been around the FAW for some time.

After the game somebody asked him on this message board what song it was. That’s when I downloaded it on Kazza Lite.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wasn’t it played down the City when we were over the road? I’m sure I’ve heard it at Ninian Park.
    Yes it was 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    Ali Yassine played this at the Millennium Stadium before the 4-0 Wales v Azerbaijan game in 2003, so it’s been around the FAW for some time.

After the game somebody asked him on this message board what song it was. That’s when I downloaded it on Kazza Lite.

Spot on

Welsh speaking Ali was brilliant at choosing the right song for the right occasion.

When we beat West Ham 4-1 at home night game (Gary O'Neil was awesome) he played Steptoe and Son theme tune.
    Never mind the series was set in Shepherd's Bush and probably been for a QPR game, it was funny as feck

Ali was a pioneer for the modern day tannoy-ers.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Spot on

Welsh speaking Ali was brilliant at choosing the right song for the right occasion.

When we beat West Ham 4-1 at home night game (Gary O'Neil was awesome) he played Steptoe and Son theme tune.
    Never mind the series was set in Shepherd's Bush and probably been for a QPR game, it was funny as feck

Ali was a pioneer for the modern day tannoy-ers.
    I predict a riot after we beat Leeds a few years after the fa Cup......riot

Dafydd Iwan was asked to sing before a Cardiff City game - before the 3-3 draw with Chesterfield when we were promoted from Division 3 in 2001.

The club was trying to make quite an event of that game - remember them trying to get one of those mosaic things going on in the Bob Bank by distributing display cards. I still have it in the house somewhere - one side was blue with "Sam Hammam's Barmy Army" written on it, and the Welsh flag on the other side. The cards were way too small to really work!

Anyway... Dafydd Iwan turned the gig down because he wasn't convinced the crowd would "get it".

I’ve heard it sung at Wales away by some groups over the years and at pockets at home but nothing like it gets belted out now. As someone said above, I’ve read or heard it been said that Connor Roberts plays it before a match to gee himself up and that the players asked for Dafydd Iwan to sing it before the Austria game.

I grew up speaking the language so I’ve known this song from a young age. It’s surreal to see it being sung by so many that probably aren’t first language, which is quite heartening for me. The way the FAW put out stuff that mix and match in both of our languages is great, to me at least, it feels really relaxed in a way that anyone that speaks both code switches all the time, regardless of your fluency. It’s exactly how you encourage people to not feel intimidated about it and make it feel inclusive and that it belongs to all Welsh people, regardless of the languages you speak.

For any post-punk fans on here, him singing it in the rain yesterday brought to mind this song too: https://youtu.be/ECoTgXd6Vd8

It was a great rendition last night.
    My Brother and I got to the stadium a little earlier to see it.

Absolutely superb and really set the tone.

I've never heard it played before but it's a belter and needs to be part of the setup going forward. Plus I've never heard of Daffyd Iwan unlike that Max Boyce fella. Daffyd seems a person I can get behind and far better for the Wish language to pin their hopes on.

I think it’s brilliant having non football chant style songs. I was very pleased when City fans actually started singing the words to Men of Harlech instead of just “duh duduh duh duh”. I’d like Yma O Hyd to join our repertoire as well as Calon Lan as they sounded great yesterday.

It's great at Wales games home and away over the last few years. What possessed the CCFC marketing team to pump it out at the recent Jack derby remains a mystery though. Together Stronger and all that at Wales games but in the South Wales Derby it was the equivalent of bringing in a choir to sing Blaydon Races when we played Newcastle.

One thing i will say is that the Welsh FA have done well to tune in to the Welsh Language, 1 up on the rugby. I'm indifferent about the actual song, but i will say that there is an identity amongst Welsh Football fans, it's almost a movement now, and i believe that it has captured the imagination of the Welsh Public. Winning helps, ofcourse, but there is an underlying feeling of defiance and identity at Wales games now. The Nationalist thing is a bit of concern for me, but i would say that it's Nationalism with a small 'n'.

I can sing better songs in the Bath !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I can sing better songs in the Bath !!
    Surely we can all do that. I'll pop upstairs and give My Way and Unchained Melody a go.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Surely we can all do that. I'll pop upstairs and give My Way and Unchained Melody a go.
    I always thought that a sing song was more apt in the shower, or even when you're sat on the throne and you're about to drop satans log-in order to disguise the heavy splash back so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    One thing i will say is that the Welsh FA have done well to tune in to the Welsh Language, 1 up on the rugby. I'm indifferent about the actual song, but i will say that there is an identity amongst Welsh Football fans, it's almost a movement now, and i believe that it has captured the imagination of the Welsh Public. Winning helps, ofcourse, but there is an underlying feeling of defiance and identity at Wales games now. The Nationalist thing is a bit of concern for me, but i would say that it's Nationalism with a small 'n'.
    The FAW have got an awful lot right over the past dozen years. They will now receive a windfall from World Cup qualification and I trust them to use the resources wisely..

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The FAW have got an awful lot right over the past dozen years. They will now receive a windfall from World Cup qualification and I trust them to use the resources wisely..
    Imagine saying that 10 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post

Blimey - this is EXACTLY what I did at the same time!!!

But how come the song ‘disappeared’ again and has now come back to such prominence?