+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hotel options For Qatar

Re: Hotel options For Qatar

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Hard to think of a worse place to have a World Cup to be honest….
    I came back to earth with a bit of a bump as I came away from the match last night when I remembered that we'd just qualified for a tournament that I have no intention of going to. Such a pity that's it's not somewhere remotely interesting to go to as a football fan (.....or for any other reason based on my stint working there 2011/12).

Mind you - I also seem to be the only person around who isn't mad about Yma o Hyd, so maybe I'm just a bit of a misery generally

It was raised about 7 months ago that the Journalist couldn't even find any accommodation, and those countries coming through at the end will have little to no chance. Cruise ships or i suppose all the migrant slaves that we be released so fans can sleep in their shipping containers. When friends of mine were working there (and sleeping in said containers) they said it was ****ing deplorable conditions.

I'd be flying home to Wales for some games

I think they're knocking up fan camps/tent villages to stay at, which aren't as expensive as the hotels(cheaper though not necessarily cheap).

Would be a great plan for thousands of us to make somewhere in Tenerife, Gran Canaria or Lanzarote our tournament base and have a massive beach based knees up. Actually take over a resort and turn it into our own World Cup base, wives, families, the lot.

Looking at an allocation of 2,300 per game. Absolute joke.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    I think they're knocking up fan camps/tent villages to stay at, which aren't as expensive as the hotels(cheaper though not necessarily cheap).
    They'll be hosing down the slave camps, lick of paint and hey presto!

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    It was raised about 7 months ago that the Journalist couldn't even find any accommodation, and those countries coming through at the end will have little to no chance. Cruise ships or i suppose all the migrant slaves that we be released so fans can sleep in their shipping containers. When friends of mine were working there (and sleeping in said containers) they said it was ****ing deplorable conditions.

I'd be flying home to Wales for some games
    I know a engineer who went over to work, as a highly skilled worker he was put in the posh container Village, had toilets and running water

he said the " unskilled slaves " were treated like animals

he left as soon as he could ( which was 3 months ) the money was mega bucks though

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Would be a great plan for thousands of us to make somewhere in Tenerife, Gran Canaria or Lanzarote our tournament base and have a massive beach based knees up. Actually take over a resort and turn it into our own World Cup base, wives, families, the lot.
    Good to see you last night. The hope we shared turned into a reality. Doesn't usually happen

I think me and my lad will look to go to somewhere like Italy or some place where it's not likely to be Baltic and have a week away for the group games.

Decided a while back I wouldn’t bother travelling if we made it. Although I was as emotional as anyone about last night it really is about the journey for this qualification.

I’ll enjoy following it all on the telly of course, but the above, along with the instances of “labour practices” (being diplomatic there) and the fact they’ve moved it to the winter, does diminish the prize.

I’d done a sh1t load of reasearch before yesterdays game and I’m ready to press the button on this for the first 3 games.
    Flights and accommodation costs are firmed up but can’t seem to buy tickets

Registered with FIFA today but if I’m reading it correctly the ticket portal is closed and won’t reopen for a while but I don’t know what a while is

I’m not parting with this sort of money unless I know I can get access to match tickets

Anyone ITK regarding tickets?

BTW, I’m not planning on staying in Qatar so I don’t need the tickets to gain access to accommodation in Qatar
    Just want them to watch the games….oddly

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Good to see you last night. The hope we shared turned into a reality. Doesn't usually happen

I think me and my lad will look to go to somewhere like Italy or some place where it's not likely to be Baltic and have a week away for the group games.
    We weren’t the two most confident chaps on the concourse pre match were we Years of following our club & country, no doubt.

We’ve spoken at home tonight about possibly getting away somewhere to watch it, just to get the sense of being ‘away’ I s’pose, Qatar is getting further & further away as an option.

How about Rwanda?

Of all the tournaments for Wales to finally qualify for, it had to be the one hosted by a country that despite all its riches is completely ill equipped and out of its depth to host a tournament of this magnitude.

With that said, I couldn't help myself to at least take a look at potential options to go out to at least catch one game if possible. Flights are affordable enough from Geneva but obviously as everyone else can attest to accomodation is pretty much a no go which limits you to UAE or Bahrain as alternates with rooms still available. And even then it's the added logistics of driving in and out of the country that will also present further challenges and hurdles to overcome.

I am also convinced that the hospitality industry in Qatar will crumble due to the influx of fans with hotels, restaurants etc... struggling to keep up with increased footfall and demand. Think this will be Qatar and FIFA's take on imitating the FYRE festival.

I will most likely look to head back to Wales to catch at least one game surrounded by Welsh fans, I certainly missed being able to take in the raw emotion of qualification last night with friends and family back home.

Lanzarote for me, I think. I'll go to my usual resort of Costa Teguise. There are some cracking Scots and Irish bars who won't be supporting England out there.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I know a engineer who went over to work, as a highly skilled worker he was put in the posh container Village, had toilets and running water

he said the " unskilled slaves " were treated like animals

he left as soon as he could ( which was 3 months ) the money was mega bucks though
    lucky guy

These lads had nothing to do with the world cup, they were going to work on a luxury yacht. 1 night only for them luckily and they said it was enough.

Loads ive met already talking of Tenerife.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Loads ive met already talking of Tenerife.
    It's a little ironic as many of us exiles may consider that watching the games in Wales would be second best to being in Qatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's a little ironic as many of us exiles may consider that watching the games in Wales would be second best to being in Qatar.
    Ha - very true!. Exactly what my son said to me coming away from the match - let's make sure we are in Wales to watch the matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Ha - very true!. Exactly what my son said to me coming away from the match - let's make sure we are in Wales to watch the matches.

I can never understand this lark of going to a foreign country and then heading for the nearest Irish bar.

If you want an Irish bar, go to f***ing Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I can never understand this lark of going to a foreign country and then heading for the nearest Irish bar.

If you want an Irish bar, go to f***ing Ireland
    Was an Irish bar mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Hard to think of a worse place to have a World Cup to be honest….
    Yes too true. Such a shame.
    Spedger

Bordessa holidays are doing a 3 match package for £4799

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Paul Corky, from the fans federation, was just on Sky Sports, saying exactly this.

Don’t attempt to book travel or accommodation without getting your match ticket first
    Then the FAW need to get ticket allocation for us sorted with FIFA asap Tone. What an expensive ball ache it is going to be. As today has progressed with me looking at travel and accommodation options the less excited i have become. Millionaires World Cup. There seems to be no cheap option, unless we are allowed to pitch a tent up near the stadiums.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Bordessa holidays are doing a 3 match package for £4799
    Just looked that up and they are also include the match tickets . That sounds too good to be true. And how did they get hold of match tickets.
    Spedger