+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else think that was a penalty...

Did anyone else think that was a penalty...

...when joe allen kicked the Ukrainian?...I did..and still don't know why it didn't get spotted by VAR..blatant , and if it was the other way around I would've been properly ****ed off.

Re: Did anyone else think that was a penalty...

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...when joe allen kicked the Ukrainian?...I did..and still don't know why it didn't get spotted by VAR..blatant , and if it was the other way around I would've been properly ****ed off.
    Have you been reading my diary ?

Yes definitely, but the football gods were smiling on us last night.

It would have been harsh as Allen didn't know that the ukrainian was behind him, there was absolutely no intent to make contact with the player who was kicked because Allen didn't know that he actually existed at the point of contact. No penalty.

I saw it on replay when i got home, as i saw it, Allen pulled his leg back to strike the ball and the Ukrainian came form behind him and got to the ball as he kicked it. No intent, and Allen didn't know he was there, just a footballing incident, no foul imo.

Is there a rule that if you kick someone but didnt mean it then its not a foul.?

Allen should have been aware either by his own means or a call. Booting the Ukrainian because you didnt know he was there is no excuse.

In fact the 2 on here are the only ones ive seen say it wasnt. 100% a penalty.

Who cares though we got away with one.I really wished it was Scotland though. If id been Allen and it was the Jocks id be saying yeah I booted him feck em.

I suspect VAR rules may be a little more generous in Europe than in England. Contact probably viewed as minor and/or accidental.

Those types of coming-togethers tend to result in a pen.

Doesn’t mean it would have been a fair decision.

It was an opportunistic attempt to manufacture a free pop on goal. Would have been a totally disproportionate punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Is there a rule that if you kick someone but didnt mean it then its not a foul.?

Allen should have been aware either by his own means or a call. Booting the Ukrainian because you didnt know he was there is no excuse.

In fact the 2 on here are the only ones ive seen say it wasnt. 100% a penalty.

Who cares though we got away with one.I really wished it was Scotland though. If id been Allen and it was the Jocks id be saying yeah I booted him feck em.
    If you aren't aware of the player, then yes. There has to be some intent, even if that means that a player can visualise the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If you aren't aware of the player, then yes. There has to be some intent, even if that means that a player can visualise the opponent.
    If thats the rule fair enough. Never heard of that and neither did all the so called experts. All reckon we got away with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If thats the rule fair enough. Never heard of that and neither did all the so called experts. All reckon we got away with one.
    I don't know the rule. I suppose that if a goalkeeper came to punch a ball at a corner, missed it, and walloped an opposing player who had come in from the back of him, then would that be a foul, even if it could be proved that his eyeline, vision, was never once on that player? To me, that would be harsh. It's one of those i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It would have been harsh as Allen didn't know that the ukrainian was behind him, there was absolutely no intent to make contact with the player who was kicked because Allen didn't know that he actually existed at the point of contact. No penalty.
    Exactly as I saw it and definitely not enough evidence to overturn an on field decision

VAR is supposed to be used to overturn “clear and obvious” errors I believe. In the Premier League they use VAR too much and for slight incidents whereas in Europe from what I’ve seen it’s more sparingly used. Whilst I’d say to the laws of the game it probably was a penalty I don’t think the ref not seeing it/not giving it was a “clear and obvious” error.

It should have been. But it wasn't.

No.
    The laws of the game require that the contact should be the result of a player being "...careless, reckless or using excessive force."
    Given that the opponent came from behind Allen and there was minimal and unintentional contact it was not a foul within the meaning of law 12.
    Even the "experts" regularly forget that football is not a "non contact" sport, hence the sometimes hysterical and irrelevant claim that there was a foul because there was contact.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Have you been reading my diary ?
    ..that's not very nice

Definite penalty, back in 2002, Peter Thorne tried to clear a ball in our penalty area and ended up in kicking a wurzels player, the Premier League ref (Alan Wiley?) gave the penalty, Tinnion scored it and Bristol were on their way to yet another win at Ninian Park. It was an odd situation because there was no intention of foul play on Thorne's part at all and I was convinced it was a wrong decision at the time - I'd not seen a similar decision before, but I've seen quite a few since. Given our history over the past fifty years or so, we'd be up in arms if we'd gone out because we weren't given a penalty after an incident like the one on Sunday.

It quickly put an end to my FIFA-is-going-to-rob-us theory.

Apart from giving Dan James a yellow for saying a bad word, I felt the ref had a good game overall. He let both sides play throughout.

My initial thought was penalty 100% but I think we’re swayed by the abhorrent way that the Premier League uses VAR.

In the moment I completely resigned myself to a penalty though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Definite penalty, back in 2002, Peter Thorne tried to clear a ball in our penalty area and ended up in kicking a wurzels player, the Premier League ref (Alan Wiley?) gave the penalty, Tinnion scored it and Bristol were on their way to yet another win at Ninian Park. It was an odd situation because there was no intention of foul play on Thorne's part at all and I was convinced it was a wrong decision at the time - I'd not seen a similar decision before, but I've seen quite a few since. Given our history over the past fifty years or so, we'd be up in arms if we'd gone out because we weren't given a penalty after an incident like the one on Sunday.
    Eh?
    You're saying it was a pen based on an incident in one game TWENTY YEARS AGO!
    Apart from this being totally illogical, how many rule changes have there been in the interim.

I remember a similar incident in the Cup Final when Fred Keenor kicked Tunstall in exactly the same way and no pen was given. This proves the Joe Allen incident def wasn't a pen. And VAR didn't over-rule the ref then either.

If that was at Anfield or Old Trafford on a Saturday afternoon, that would have been given. With Hennessey having the best game of his career , the penalty not being given, and the deflected winning goal, you knew Wales were going to win.

I thought it was a pen. Obvs glad not given and about time we got some luck
    Didn’t stop a bloke next to me keeping saying to everyone who would listen “I told you! it’s Eurovision all over again!”
    A statement I never thought I’d hear at a football match

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Eh?
    Apart from this being totally illogical, how many rule changes have there been in the interim.

I remember a similar incident in the Cup Final when Fred Keenor kicked Tunstall in exactly the same way and no pen was given. This proves the Joe Allen incident def wasn't a pen. And VAR didn't over-rule the ref then either.
    Read the whole message, what I'm saying is that in the past twenty years more and more similar type penalties have been given - the one given against Thorne was unusual at that time, but it wouldn't be now because interpretations of the laws have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Eh?

Yes, but Keenor should have gone for retaliation alone - Tunstall stubbing his Woodbine in Keenor's face was also sending off offence..

He takes a swipe at the ball that is no longer there and now replaced by the Ukraine lads foot. I really don't know how it's not a pen. Allen's reaction is one of someone that knows he was done.

To be fair we were due some luck.

I also don't want matches decided by a penalty kick in that way when it's a complete accident and the lad is going away from goal.

A free kick in the box perhaps? Not seen one of those for a while.

Think they are supposed to be given for no contact infringements like a high foot, I've only seen them given for goalkeeper infringements though.