+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else think that was a penalty...

Re: Did anyone else think that was a penalty...

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    No.
    The laws of the game require that the contact should be the result of a player being "...careless, reckless or using excessive force."
    Given that the opponent came from behind Allen and there was minimal and unintentional contact it was not a foul within the meaning of law 12.
    Even the "experts" regularly forget that football is not a "non contact" sport, hence the sometimes hysterical and irrelevant claim that there was a foul because there was contact.
    Id say being caught in possession in your own penalty box and ending up kicking someone you should have been aware of was definitely careless. Therefore penalty.

If it had have been given, Joe would have been off, because Shirley he would have been booked

Disallowed goal, no pelanty, last ditch tackles, inspired goalkeeping, deflected goal, IT WAS JUST WRITTEN IN THE STARS

If I was a neutral I’d say that was 100% a penalty and a second yellow.

I think that’s the luckiest game I’ve ever seen We were outplayed one of the worst I’ve seen us play for a long time

About time we had some luck but do feel sorry for Ukraine

Was VAR being used I thought that according to the pre match talk it wasn’t as the FAW felt the couldn’t afford to implement it in the full sense. As regarding the penalty claim, no it wasn’t

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Was VAR being used I thought that according to the pre match talk it wasn’t as the FAW felt the couldn’t afford to implement it in the full sense. As regarding the penalty claim, no it wasn’t
    They couldn’t implement goal line tech
    Var checked and said no pen

At the time I thought the referee should have given a pelanty.

Having seen the replay, it should have been a pelanty.
    The forward was clever, Allen was careless.

Could it be that the interpretation of the rule with the help of VAR varies across Europe?

Or possibly Sky's coverage and the constant dialogue with questioning the decision that goes on for days after such an incident (invariably involving MU, MC, Scousers, Arse and Chelsea).

Wales have been on the wrong end of more than our fair share of this type of decision, it was our time to get one.

It’s one of those ones where I think in the English game (or as VAR is now used in the premiership) it’s a pen. It’s a harsh one, one of those ones where I think it probably gets given anywhere else on the pitch but given it wasn’t an egregious kick, the attacking player was moving away from goal and arguably wasn’t in control of the ball himself, the fact it was in the penalty box, would probably have had to send the defender off as a result, in such a game… I can see why it wasn’t given too on the field. It’s a big call VAR or otherwise.

I’m fairly so-so about VAR overall but what it highlights for me is that refereeing is about interpretation and VAR is no different really. We’re seeing just as un-uniform interpretations in the same way we always had with different referees, in different countries, etc. In a way I feel like we’ve sort of ended up in the same place with its introduction.

I’d be disappointed if the boot was on the other foot, no doubt, but I’d also begrudgingly understand and stomach it in the same way as had we played that pre-VAR. Basically, the ref didn’t see enough in it to give it.

The refereeing had good moments, let the game flow and helped make it less bitty than it could have been given the occasion and conditions, although there were some moments where it felt like fouls were being given that I felt should have gone to the other side (both us and Ukraine). After the first couple cards early doors (not helped by James being a hot head), overall think the refereeing was fine.

While I think it was a penalty I dont think thats a 2nd yellow.

it's the kind of decision I don't think SHOULD be a penalty, but are usually given.

Leicester playoff 2nd leg. We're 3-1 down. Through ball for Chopra is poor but there's hesitancy in the Leicester defence, Chopra manages to nip in and he's caught, lightly, but there is contact. There was no doubts he was looking for a penalty.

This wasn't too dissimilar a moment in that Allen was hesitant and had the ball pinched off him.

If that had been on Kieffer Moore at the other end we'd have been demanding a penalty.

So what is the actual rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    It’s one of those ones where I think in the English game (or as VAR is now used in the premiership) it’s a pen. It’s a harsh one, one of those ones where I think it probably gets given anywhere else on the pitch but given it wasn’t an egregious kick, the attacking player was moving away from goal and arguably wasn’t in control of the ball himself, the fact it was in the penalty box, would probably have had to send the defender off as a result, in such a game… I can see why it wasn’t given too on the field. It’s a big call VAR or otherwise.

I’m fairly so-so about VAR overall but what it highlights for me is that refereeing is about interpretation and VAR is no different really. We’re seeing just as un-uniform interpretations in the same way we always had with different referees, in different countries, etc. In a way I feel like we’ve sort of ended up in the same place with its introduction.

I’d be disappointed if the boot was on the other foot, no doubt, but I’d also begrudgingly understand and stomach it in the same way as had we played that pre-VAR. Basically, the ref didn’t see enough in it to give it.

The refereeing had good moments, let the game flow and helped make it less bitty than it could have been given the occasion and conditions, although there were some moments where it felt like fouls were being given that I felt should have gone to the other side (both us and Ukraine). After the first couple cards early doors (not helped by James being a hot head), overall think the refereeing was fine.
    Nathan Blake said during commentary something along the lines of "he's one of those refs, it's more about him than the actual game".

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    So what is the actual rule?
    I don't know but perhaps the TV audience should vote on it instead of VAR. 20 seconds to vote 'yes' or 'no'. One lucky voter gets a £10 note sent by drone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Leicester playoff 2nd leg. We're 3-1 down. Through ball for Chopra is poor but there's hesitancy in the Leicester defence, Chopra manages to nip in and he's caught, lightly, but there is contact. There was no doubts he was looking for a penalty.

This wasn't too dissimilar a moment in that Allen was hesitant and had the ball pinched off him.

If that had been on Kieffer Moore at the other end we'd have been demanding a penalty.
    Agree we’d be demanding a pen if it was at the other end of the pitch, no question. But I think had it been more like that Chopra incident - with momentum attacking towards goal and more of a challenge than Allen’s was - I think that definitely gets given by the ref on Sunday.

Another thing I remember thinking at the time, unless I perhaps missed it or the replays were taking up screen time, I don’t recall Yarmolenko or the Ukrainians massively challenging it on the field, swamping the ref, etc. Which made me feel a little like they perhaps knew themselves it was “one of those ones”. I don’t know. Perhaps given the obvious situation in their country such histrionics may not come as easy.

the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it was the correct decision, even if it's the kind of challenge that you will often see given.

if a goalkeeper was going for a punch clearance and an opposition player sneaks in from behind him unseen and sticks his head in the way of the punch as it is about to connect with the ball then it would be really harsh to send the keeper off and award a penalty.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Eh?
    You're saying it was a pen based on an incident in one game TWENTY YEARS AGO!
    Apart from this being totally illogical, how many rule changes have there been in the interim.

I remember a similar incident in the Cup Final when Fred Keenor kicked Tunstall in exactly the same way and no pen was given. This proves the Joe Allen incident def wasn't a pen. And VAR didn't over-rule the ref then either.
    That was definitely a penalty. Keenor did it deliberately. I saw him wink at the camera when the ref waived play on.

I can't believe people think that was a penalty. What does the ref give if there's a clash of heads in the penalty box between opposition players.one defending, one attacking. The defender, with his eye on the ball totals the attacker. Never meant, no mallice or intent, both players have their eye on the ball. That's a penalty then? What Allen did was exactly the same, but with his foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It would have been harsh as Allen didn't know that the ukrainian was behind him, there was absolutely no intent to make contact with the player who was kicked because Allen didn't know that he actually existed at the point of contact. No penalty.
    I agree, and I didn't think that it was a penalty in real time although one of my sons did straight away, but I have seen those exact incidents given as penalties in the Premier League.

Was expecting it to be given, regardless of whether it should have been or not.

If you aren't aware of the player, then yes. There has to be some intent, even if that means that a player can visualise the opponent.
    I don't think that is correct, intent has nothing to do with it. Same as ball first, no such thing these days

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    While I think it was a penalty I dont think thats a 2nd yellow.
    Agree, pen but not a yellow. If he had been facing goal it would have been pen and a straight red probably.

I thought it was a pen

I can't believe people think that was a penalty. What does the ref give if there's a clash of heads in the penalty box between opposition players.one defending, one attacking. The defender, with his eye on the ball totals the attacker. Never meant, no mallice or intent, both players have their eye on the ball. That's a penalty then? What Allen did was exactly the same, but with his foot.
    I too never thought it was a pen - even after seeing the replays.
    It just didn't make sense to penalise someone for a coming together as a result of a surprise tackle from behind.
    I've seen pens given when a player has fallen down in the penalty area and the ball has rolled and hit his arm. No intent! Unavoidable.
    And how many pens have been awarded when there clearly was no intent to handle the ball and the arm has been in a natural position.
    These decisions are inequitable, and to have probably sent Allen off would have made it doubly inequitable.

We've all seen those given, we got away with one there.
    John Hartson on Sky said definite Pelanty.