+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else think that was a penalty...

Re: Did anyone else think that was a penalty...

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    So…. Is it your contention that it wasn’t given as a penalty because of the incompetence of a referee and the professional(s) running VAR, and that a bunch of armchair fans would unanimously awarded a penalty with the same evidence?
    I contend it should have been a penalty. No more, no less.

By Premier League standards that was 100% a penalty, I was flabbergasted when the check was completed.

If you watch the video carefully the player is going down before Allen makes contact.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Didn't mistime?!? He kicked the player, not the ball!

Give your head a wobble.
    You've left out a big chunk of the reasoning i gave. Thankfully, the ref, his assistants on VAR and apparently, the Ukrainian manager, agree with me.

I contend it should have been a penalty. No more, no less.
    In which case you’re right.. this thread is comedy gold 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    By Premier League standards that was 100% a penalty, I was flabbergasted when the check was completed.
    I think you meant flabbergasted AND delighted lol

Messi got on the wrong side of that defender, which makes it easier to give in my opinion, although i still don't think that was a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You've left out a big chunk of the reasoning i gave. Thankfully, the ref, his assistants on VAR and apparently, the Ukrainian manager, agree with me.
    It matters not a jot now. Bizarrely, it wasn't given. Some you get, some you don't, mostly because plenty of officials have no more idea than the average steward. But that doesn't mean it was the correct decision by any means.

I thought all the recent tampering with the handball and offside rules had made football complicated enough already, but now it's apparently not necessarily a foul when a player kicks his opponent instead of the ball. What a game!

In which case you’re right.. this thread is comedy gold ������
    Do you contend that 'professional' officials always make the right decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I think you meant flabbergasted AND delighted lol
    Haha relieved, shocked and bloody ecstatic

Do you contend that 'professional' officials always make the right decisions?
    Not at all but I’m happy to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe there could be a panel of 20,000 impartial people watching the game with a hand held device (let’s call it a phone) and as VAR is showing something they vote on whether to stay with the on field decision or send the ref to a monitor to review his initial thoughts.

Not at all but I’m happy to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe there could be a panel of 20,000 impartial people watching the game with a hand held device (let’s call it a phone) and as VAR is showing something they vote on whether to stay with the on field decision or send the ref to a monitor to review his initial thoughts.
    Personally, I think we should go back to a ref and two linesmen. Mad, I know.

I agree with you, but that’s how we ended up with bloody VAR in the first place

It matters not a jot now. Bizarrely, it wasn't given. Some you get, some you don't, mostly because plenty of officials have no more idea than the average steward. But that doesn't mean it was the correct decision by any means.

I thought all the recent tampering with the handball and offside rules had made football complicated enough already, but now it's apparently not necessarily a foul when a player kicks his opponent instead of the ball. What a game!

Don.t you think that there were circumstances leading up to the contact? Scrap that, you obviously don't, which is fair enough, but i do find that a little puerile, and i know for sure that you aren't like that when it comes to refereeing decisions. Yup, you win some you lose some. If it had been given, half of the people in this thread saying it was stone wall would quite likely be using some of my arguments to say that it wasn't a penalty Football.....

I can see why they didn't give it although Allen lucky. Needs to speed things up

It seems a long time ago that the FA were trying to have a similar set of circimstances for football played at the highest level and at grass roots in parks.

Won't be long before parents film school-boy matches and call refs over to view their footage to resolve dodgy decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Is there a rule that if you kick someone but didnt mean it then its not a foul.?

Allen should have been aware either by his own means or a call. Booting the Ukrainian because you didnt know he was there is no excuse.

In fact the 2 on here are the only ones ive seen say it wasnt. 100% a penalty.

Who cares though we got away with one.I really wished it was Scotland though. If id been Allen and it was the Jocks id be saying yeah I booted him feck em.
    Let it go FFS.....

It was a penalty .
    Yarmolenko did two summersaults and a triple barani . I dont think that helped their cause .
    Well done Wales , good luck in the finals.
    Its a shame there is a moral dilemma about going to Qatar, maybe including them will help bring about change ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWent76 View Post
    A clear foul that could have resulted in serious injury to Joe Allen with the Ukrainian player tackling from behind in a careless and reckless manner.
    Could have been given either way.
    Running onto a free ball is not tackling from behind. Yarmolenko makes no tackling move whatsoever. He just takes the ball. Maybe he shouldn't have gone down like he'd been shot. I don't know. And I don't care. It happens.

When the referee was waiting for the VAR decision, I was so convinced he was going to be sent to the pitch side screen, that I went upstairs for a piss , expecting to come down to find it was 1-1....imagine my glee when I found out it hadn't been given.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Please explain to me that if 'careless, reckless, or using excessive force' are actually written in the rule book, they are implicit.

(Definition of implicit -"suggested though not directly expressed")

If the VAR team had just quickly explained why they didn’t give it, it would have saved 5 pages of guff on here.

You’ve got a point. The ref and his two linesmen got the decision wrong, as did a ref and God knows how many more other officials watching it with plenty of expensive machinery bought to, in theory, ensure right decisions are always made - the fact that the human element in the VAR system failed, as it does too often, just renders all of that machinery irrelevant, all it’s doing is breaking up the game to provide decisions that the officials at the ground could have got wrong much quicker