Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
We used to see some entertaining cameos from Colwill back then but, for me, he never really established himself as a key player in that Academy side. I don't remember us ever talking about him as the most likely to break through first, for all his obvious talent there was a lack of oomph about him. He could beat a man but didn't have the pace to take him clear, he didn't use his size or talent to dominate games, he rarely lasted 90 minutes. Early days as a first teamer, of course, but these are issues he hasn't left behind yet.

Last season was a difficult one for City but, even so, I'd like to have seen more from Colwill. If fitness is an issue then I'm sure the club will be working on it but I don't think he's done enough yet for us to be building a side around him, as some posters on here have suggested. We'll see. Next season will be a big one for him, let's hope he can push on.

It was interesting what Bellamy said about his development in this article last year.

https://www.viewfromtheninian.com/20...the-graduates/
I might be wrong, but it’s always seemed to me that being the size he was compared to others of his age played a big part in Colwill’s introduction to the first team squad by McCarthy. Thanks for posting that link to what Craig Bellamy said because it’s pertinent to the conversation we’ve been having about Colwill - I believe he turned twenty recently, or will do soon, so he’s reaching a stage now where it won’t be long before he, more or less, has the body and physiology he’ll have for the rest of his life. If the issue being talked about can be put down to a sort of growing pains, then you’d think that he would emerge from it in the next season or two, but I’m not sure he will.