+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 2 NETHERLANDS. Match thread

Re: WALES v NETHERLANDS. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Following the Poland game it's another performance where Wales deserved to at least come away with a point.

In the game that mattered against Ukraine, Wales somehow played worse and ended up the winners.

Funny old game.
    I thought the result was about right tonight, it’s just so frustrating to lose it like that - think we’re in a relegation scrap.

Re: FT: WALES 1 - 2 NETHERLANDS. Match thread

Central midfield is our problem. Unless Ramsey and Allen can turn back the years it will be our Achilles heel in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Central midfield is our problem. Unless Ramsey and Allen can turn back the years it will be our Achilles heel in the finals.
    Yep they cut through so easy.

Better ball retention and movement from the Dutch throughout the game. Deserved winners but we came so close to taking a point against a very good team.

Central midfield is our problem.
    No comment, except to say I pointed out the problem before it became a problem

I think to be fair to the midfield, we’d got to the stage where Matt Smith was in there by himself as we chased an equaliser and we were well short in that area when it came to the defensive side of that position when it was 1-1 - we went looking for a winner and were wide open to a counter attack.

Along with not having another forward to hold the ball up and being frightened to shoot.

We could end up using the same 11 starters each game in Qatar

Sickener to concede like that. Someone should have scythed de Jong (I think). Something to learn from in terms of game management and being sly when needed.

I’ve been a fan of the nations league but these two games have felt way more like friendlies (understandably so) compared to the last cycles. I think it’s hard not to give off that vibe when you sub a keeper at half time.

Two decent enough performances with some jumbled up sides against good quality opposition. Good World Cup prep, which is I think how Page is approaching these.

Hey, if we learn enough from letting in a last minute winner in a Nation League match to *not* let in a last minute winner in a World Cup match, I'll take that result as a positive.

Everything's experience.

We played really well in Poland for 70 minutes then ran out of steam. Tonight we played well in patches but run out of ideas in the last third and lost shape too often. You learn a lot more in games than training but the accuracy of passing and confidence still needs lots of work.

Dan James continues to be the most frustrating player. If he has to think he’s fecked.

Really good winning goal.

Midfield was non existent in the attack and not sure how weve allowed that much space for the header.

No point being over critical. They have better players.

5 months maybe there are some young players outside the squad who can force thier way in. Central midfield and defence we could definitely do with better options in the squad. Whether they are there or not I dont know.

Tom Lawrence needs recalling as well. If Page has an issue with him then that needs to be put aside.

[QUOTE=Wales-Bales;5308428]No comment, except to say I pointed out the problem before it became a problem [/QUOT

I hope Page reverts to a back four. With Ampadu played at CDM. It would mean Davies and Rodon at centre back with Neco and probably Roberts playing more like full backs rather than wing backs.

[QUOTE=Pearcey3;5308444]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    No comment, except to say I pointed out the problem before it became a problem [/QUOT

I hope Page reverts to a back four. With Ampadu played at CDM. It would mean Davies and Rodon at centre back with Neco and probably Roberts playing more like full backs rather than wing backs.
    I think we need 3 central defenders. Davies does a brilliant job covering the errors Im not sure about him doing the same with Rodon on his own who looks like hes always got an error in him

Nicos main asset is attacking and wed lose that as well.

[QUOTE=Hilts;5308445]

I think we need 3 central defenders. Davies does a brilliant job covering the errors Im not sure about him doing the same with Rodon on his own who looks like hes always got an error in him

The big downside is that we are then outgunned in central midfield

[QUOTE=Hilts;5308445]

I can see us moving Neco forward in future

I think Ampadu in midfield would have helped immensely today, should have come on instead of Smith. Ampadu definitely wouldn't have allowed De Jong to waltz through the midfield in added time

The thing with Ampadu is he a hybrid player who can easily drop into the backline, which he did on many occasions while playing CDM for Venezia in Serie A.

He's a converted winger.

[QUOTE=Pearcey3;5308446]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

The big downside is that we are then outgunned in central midfield
    True. If we go with the current squad I think we have to leave Kiefer out. Just please start Brennan Johnson.

The midfield will still struggle if Ramsey isnt match fit though. We badly need him playing regularly before the World Cup.

He's a converted winger.
    As soon as Bale is no longer available id move him forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    As soon as Bale is no longer available id move him forward.
    Then he's competing with Brennan Johnson instead of providing an overload. That's why Djed Spence was so effective at Forest.

If our midfield was so weak why didn't they score more. They scored the winner in the last 2 minutes on the break while we were looking for the winner.

The Dutch runner should have been taken out, he must have ran 50 yards unopposed, naive to say the least. Take one for the team, he should have been nailed or slyly tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Dutch runner should have been taken out, he must have ran 50 yards unopposed, naive to say the least. Take one for the team, he should have been nailed or slyly tripped.
    Our midfield were lightweight.

Our midfield were lightweight.
    Our midfield was all but non existent because we had brought more attacking players on when it was 1-0 and then too many of the team got carried away and got ahead of the ball as we chased a winner. Even then though, we had two players who could have put in more effective challenges in against DeJong.

With hindsight, maybe Ampadu could have been brought on as soon as we equalised, but I certainly wasn’t calling for that at the time. Win, lose or draw, you complain because Wales didn’t set up as you want them to and it nearly always boils down to how one player is deployed - Ampadu is good, but not as good as you think he is.

Two great headers at the end of the game . Unfortunately the winning one wasn’t in the opposition net.