+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's time to get fitter and shape up ......advice for a salad dodger please

Re: It's time to get fitter and shape up ......advice for a salad dodger please

Not much more I can add to the above really.

I'm now 50 but this time last year I weighed around 17.5 stone (I'm 6'2). I've since lost six stone, partly through a change in diet but mainly walking. I'd started going for little walks during lockdown, just to get out of the kitchen and away from the laptop. I was aiming at 8k a day, but now do 20k a day (which is around 7-8 miles). I try to do it in three chunks - early morning pre-work, lunchtime and evening. Finding the right Podcasts has been essential, as once you get into the right one, you forget you're exercising. It's also been great finding new routes, paths, shortcuts etc in and around the area I've lived all my life, that I never knew existed. It can feel like a chore sometimes, either when the weather is bad or when (in my case) you realise at 11pm you've done 19.5k steps and you end up trudging aimlessly around the house for 10 minutes to get to 20k. It has become an obsession, but one that will hopefully be of benefit.

Definitely weigh yourself regularly as with the right diet - I cut out my lifelong favourites such as pasties, pies, sausage rolls and, in particular, crisps - and plenty of exercise, the weight will definitely come off. One note of caution, it may cost you a few quid as I've had to pretty much invest in a new wardrobe for anything that didn't involve my feet!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Thanks mate

Bread , rice , bananas , potatoes , all got to go

I am going to miss my done kebabs though 😢

I was told to buy a potatoe substitute from the celery family and use it in chicken chunky soups

But what's a soup without a bread roll ?

There is a low carb bread out there , 3 quid a loaf !
    Rice and Potatoes don't have to go, just have to be moderated in how much you eat them and the portion size.

I use Pita Bread instead of regular bread for sarnies, they are under 100 calories in many cases and are satiating.

Honestly Mate it isn't as hard or intimidating as you would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post

I'm now 50 but this time last year I weighed around 17.5 stone (I'm 6'2). I've since lost six stone, partly through a change in diet but mainly walking. I'd started going for little walks during lockdown, just to get out of the kitchen and away from the laptop. I was aiming at 8k a day, but now do 20k a day (which is around 7-8 miles). I try to do it in three chunks - early morning pre-work, lunchtime and evening. Finding the right Podcasts has been essential, as once you get into the right one, you forget you're exercising. It's also been great finding new routes, paths, shortcuts etc in and around the area I've lived all my life, that I never knew existed. It can feel like a chore sometimes, either when the weather is bad or when (in my case) you realise at 11pm you've done 19.5k steps and you end up trudging aimlessly around the house for 10 minutes to get to 20k. It has become an obsession, but one that will hopefully be of benefit.

Definitely weigh yourself regularly as with the right diet - I cut out my lifelong favourites such as pasties, pies, sausage rolls and, in particular, crisps - and plenty of exercise, the weight will definitely come off. One note of caution, it may cost you a few quid as I've had to pretty much invest in a new wardrobe for anything that didn't involve my feet!

Good luck
    Well done , give that man a cigar

Even a stone off would be great and good to know you have shifted a lot just through walking which I know I can stick to

Cheers

Strong , not fit

Argos , E bay ?
    I dont use Ebay but you may find a better deal there than shops. If your near a Tesco or a Tesco extra youll probably find them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Rice and Potatoes don't have to go, just have to be moderated in how much you eat them and the portion size.

I use Pita Bread instead of regular bread for sarnies, they are under 100 calories in many cases and are satiating.

Honestly Mate it isn't as hard or intimidating as you would think.
    I will get back to you on that

I am trying to be realistic

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I dont use Ebay but you may find a better deal there than shops. If your near a Tesco or a Tesco extra youll probably find them there.
    OK mate 👌

Yes that's fine mate

I bought some Quorn the other day and had a stir fry , bit bland but it's better than a Chinese take away 🙃
    was that one of the supermarket stirfry sauce thngs? they are horribly bland

So easy to make a good healthy stirfry as tasty as a takeaway one - probably helps that my wife is from China though.

She eats 4 or 5 cooked meals a day and just doesn't put on any weight - if you believe her this is down to not drinking any cold drinks, and avoiding carbs in the evening.
    But then she also genuinely believes that there are ghosts in the house that are making the fridge make a funny noise sometimes, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

So easy to make a good healthy stirfry as tasty as a takeaway one - probably helps that my wife is from China though.

She eats 4 or 5 cooked meals a day and just doesn't put on any weight - if you believe her this is down to not drinking any cold drinks, and avoiding carbs in the evening.
    But then she also genuinely believes that there are ghosts in the house that are making the fridge make a funny noise sometimes, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.
    Your wife is clearly a mentalist

Get rid of her

Yes it was a packet stir fry sauce , like piss although hopefully not actually piss

Your wife is clearly a mentalist

Get rid of her

Yes it was a packet stir fry sauce , like piss although hopefully not actually piss
    Yeah she's absolutely a mentallist

Those packet stir fry sauces are an abomination

International

Good luck
    From Google

In general, a 155-pound (70-kg) person who walks at 3.5 mph (5.6 kph) on a flat surface for 1 hour can burn approximately 267 calories. If they keep the same speed but walk uphill, they could burn up to 422 calories. As you are heavier the numbers would increase quite a bit. At first to lose pounds will be easy, it will obviosly get harder after a few months.

You get the idea, in the same time you could burn much more calories or travel a much shorter distance to reach your calorie burning goal

Buy an applewatch of fitbit or alternative too!

2000 calories a day, track it on My Fitness Pal. Walk 10,000 steps a day, weight will drop off you

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    move more eat less
    This.

Consuming fewer calories and burning more off is the only way. You have to be disciplined but you can still cheat every now and then. Count yourself lucky you don't drink.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    From Google

In general, a 155-pound (70-kg) person who walks at 3.5 mph (5.6 kph) on a flat surface for 1 hour can burn approximately 267 calories. If they keep the same speed but walk uphill, they could burn up to 422 calories. As you are heavier the numbers would increase quite a bit. At first to lose pounds will be easy, it will obviosly get harder after a few months.

You get the idea, in the same time you could burn much more calories or travel a much shorter distance to reach your calorie burning goal

Buy an applewatch of fitbit or alternative too!
    I would not want to lose more than 2 stone or so

I would look odd

Or odder

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This.

Consuming fewer calories and burning more off is the only way. You have to be disciplined but you can still cheat every now and then. Count yourself lucky you don't drink.
    My diet is the key

It's basically dreadful

Tonight I am having pan fried chicken in mushrooms with spinach

It's not going to be easy for me mate , it's going to kill me
    You can do it and it's not the exercise/dietary changes that'll kill you, it'll be the stroke/coronary/pulmonary embolism or that there gangrene that starts as a wee black spot on one of your toes and creeps slowly up your foot/leg leading to amputation.
    YES YOU CAN DO IT! Good luck.

Just dumbells stan or a barbell ?

Can you get barbells you don't have to add weights to ?
    I use dumbells but any kind of workout that gets your heart rate higher is good.. I have a stand up punch bag due to room issues and that gets my heart rate up and burns calories , fat etc..
    Fast walking is another.
    As i said i use a garmin to track my workouts and it tells me my heart rate has i train so i can up the effort

Good luck
    This is great advice. I will try to incorporate more walks- I know I should anyway, but it's helpful to see it laid out. How long would you say each walk takes you (i.e. so you get to the 20k at the end of the day)? Do you use a step counter? Are there any decent ones anyone can recommend? Nothing fancy - just something that records the steps, perhaps connects with the phone but that's not really necessary either.

Here's a podcast which may help with your diet sludge, as you're doing your walking. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...odes/downloads - listened to most of it recently and have tried to stop all ultra processed food as a result. Have found it quite difficult, but it forces you to cook and take note of what is in your shopping bag/cupboards. It's only been a few days but I was quite shocked at the revelations in the podcast and on looking at the various ingredient lists. Basically the recommendation is to only eat things with ingredients you'd expect to find in a normal kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Even a stone off would be great and good to know you have shifted a lot just through walking which I know I can stick to

Cheers
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384933794...3ABFBMiP-Mvqhg

I have one of these from bought from this ebay seller and so have a few of my mates. My missus bought one off the same seller last week to.
    No issues and i love mine..

Good luck
    20k is 12.42 miles per day. No wonder you’ve lost 6 stone, that’s very good mileage

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    20k is 12.42 miles per day. No wonder you’ve lost 6 stone, that’s very good mileage
    Good point. Just realised I forgot to reference the daily 8k and 20k as steps!

Unfortunately, I've known Sludge much longer than most people around here have, since his mid-teens in fact.

By the time he approached his 18th birthday in 1984 he was already a seasoned rotter. So much so that it surprised nobody when he declared his intention to seek membership of the Conservative Party at the earliest opportunity.

He was succesful in his quest on his 18th birthday. He reported that he received several hearty "hear, hear's" when he praised Margarat Thatcher's leadership and expressed a desire that Arthur Scargill be publicly hanged. (The Tories were in the process of smashing his National Union of Mineworkers and with it bringing the Trade Union movement to its knees.)

He said the selection was really a screening process to ensure the party didn't become sullied with manual workers, social housing tenants and "other scumbags of similar ilk."

Soon after he departed for three years to a northern England university. This confused me as I knew he was thick as feck. That mystery was solved when I Iearnt he was there as a cleaner rather than an undergraduate.

I understand he skived his way through the duration. Often seen hurrying with a bucket in hand, it emerged his mop remained in the same pristine condition when he handed it back as when it was issued. It likely never touched water.

When he returned he regaled anyone prepared to listen about the double first he gained whilst away. Depending on how gullible he adjudged those who listened, he bagged everything from biophysics and Greek mythology to embroidery and needlework. All of It was utter bollocks, of course.

His sole academic qualifation didn't really count. That was the 25 metre breaststroke. He sank on his first two attempts and was only awarded the certificate when the lifeguards didn't fancy rescuing him a third time.

What a kent that fella is!

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    This is great advice. I will try to incorporate more walks- I know I should anyway, but it's helpful to see it laid out. How long would you say each walk takes you (i.e. so you get to the 20k at the end of the day)? Do you use a step counter? Are there any decent ones anyone can recommend? Nothing fancy - just something that records the steps, perhaps connects with the phone but that's not really necessary either.

Here's a podcast which may help with your diet sludge, as you're doing your walking. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...odes/downloads - listened to most of it recently and have tried to stop all ultra processed food as a result. Have found it quite difficult, but it forces you to cook and take note of what is in your shopping bag/cupboards. It's only been a few days but I was quite shocked at the revelations in the podcast and on looking at the various ingredient lists. Basically the recommendation is to only eat things with ingredients you'd expect to find in a normal kitchen.

Nothing fancy, I just use the "Health" app on my iPhone to count my steps. If you have an iPhone, it's the white app with the small red heart on it, that is one of the standard ones. I always keep the phone in my pocket when I walk so the steps are registered. Alternatively there are plenty of other step-counting apps you can get for free.

I know lots of people use watches or other devices, but this works for me. I just need to remember to keep the phone in my pocket, even when I'm just walking around the house, back and fore to the garage etc.

Good luck

Cheers
    I work in a leisure centre with free access to two gyms however, they just don't do it for me, even though I know the gym is a great avenue for getting healthier and losing weight. We're all different but walking has worked for me. Hopefully it does for you too, as it's the easiest, cheapest and most basic form of exercise out there.....if we're keeping this clean

Nothing fancy, I just use the "Health" app on my iPhone to count my steps. If you have an iPhone, it's the white app with the small red heart on it, that is one of the standard ones. I always keep the phone in my pocket when I walk so the steps are registered. Alternatively there are plenty of other step-counting apps you can get for free.

I know lots of people use watches or other devices, but this works for me. I just need to remember to keep the phone in my pocket, even when I'm just walking around the house, back and fore to the garage etc.

Good luck
    Map my Walk is a decent app. It’s free and it gives you your distance walked (K’s or miles), duration, average pace, steps, calories, el again (ft) and average cadence. Also gives you detailed analysis of pace, elevation etc. you can get weekly totals and plan your routes. Also gives you a map of where you’ve walked.

They also have one for cycling, Map my Ride and one for running Map my Run although you can use the same app for all and just adjust it accordingly.

All you have to do is put in your weight, height etc.

I haven't read any of the replies
    So! why bother with weights if you're not planning on muscle gain?
    Go for a brisk walk ...one album's length (about 40 mins) a day
    Drink water through the day.
    Drink a full glass of water 45 mins before your evening meal which should be no later than 7pm (eat nothing after that)
    DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY WEEK. Try every second to third week.