Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
Not much more I can add to the above really.

I'm now 50 but this time last year I weighed around 17.5 stone (I'm 6'2). I've since lost six stone, partly through a change in diet but mainly walking. I'd started going for little walks during lockdown, just to get out of the kitchen and away from the laptop. I was aiming at 8k a day, but now do 20k a day (which is around 7-8 miles). I try to do it in three chunks - early morning pre-work, lunchtime and evening. Finding the right Podcasts has been essential, as once you get into the right one, you forget you're exercising. It's also been great finding new routes, paths, shortcuts etc in and around the area I've lived all my life, that I never knew existed. It can feel like a chore sometimes, either when the weather is bad or when (in my case) you realise at 11pm you've done 19.5k steps and you end up trudging aimlessly around the house for 10 minutes to get to 20k. It has become an obsession, but one that will hopefully be of benefit.

Definitely weigh yourself regularly as with the right diet - I cut out my lifelong favourites such as pasties, pies, sausage rolls and, in particular, crisps - and plenty of exercise, the weight will definitely come off. One note of caution, it may cost you a few quid as I've had to pretty much invest in a new wardrobe for anything that didn't involve my feet!

Good luck
This is great advice. I will try to incorporate more walks- I know I should anyway, but it's helpful to see it laid out. How long would you say each walk takes you (i.e. so you get to the 20k at the end of the day)? Do you use a step counter? Are there any decent ones anyone can recommend? Nothing fancy - just something that records the steps, perhaps connects with the phone but that's not really necessary either.

Here's a podcast which may help with your diet sludge, as you're doing your walking. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...odes/downloads - listened to most of it recently and have tried to stop all ultra processed food as a result. Have found it quite difficult, but it forces you to cook and take note of what is in your shopping bag/cupboards. It's only been a few days but I was quite shocked at the revelations in the podcast and on looking at the various ingredient lists. Basically the recommendation is to only eat things with ingredients you'd expect to find in a normal kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
was that one of the supermarket stirfry sauce thngs? they are horribly bland

So easy to make a good healthy stirfry as tasty as a takeaway one - probably helps that my wife is from China though.

She eats 4 or 5 cooked meals a day and just doesn't put on any weight - if you believe her this is down to not drinking any cold drinks, and avoiding carbs in the evening.
But then she also genuinely believes that there are ghosts in the house that are making the fridge make a funny noise sometimes, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.