+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunderland!

Sunderland!

Have a good mate who is a fan.
    they've been out of the limelight a while. What are your thoughts on the coming season for them ?

Re: Sunderland!

They're a big club, with great attendances, and they really shouldn't have spend so long down in League One. But...sometimes its good to shake things up a bit. They will do fairly well this coming season, but lose out in the play-offs. That's my precision, anyway. And it's too far away for an away trip, unless you're mental.

Huge club in an unfortunate situation with their neighbours recently bought out by Arabs!

Probably can't get much worse for any traditionally 'big' rivals.

If they get bought by these crypto clowns, they're in serious trouble

Being linked today with Josh Murphy so I wouldn't be too sure!

Sunderland Till I die, great tv series.

Sunderland, like Newcastle , Villa , Pompey etc are the clubs who have retained a hardcore support ......without the plastic twats Liverpool and United have .....despite not really having that much success

Sunderland and Newcastle are giants of British football

I remember when Sunderland brought down over 10,000 to Ninian Park, at the end of the 79/80 season. Apart from Scotland fans, haven’t seen anything like it down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    I remember when Sunderland brought down over 10,000 to Ninian Park, at the end of the 79/80 season. Apart from Scotland fans, haven’t seen anything like it down here.
    I remember Lincoln City reserves playing Newcastle Utd reserves in the "Keegan" era. One man and his dog normally for a stiffs match and about 2.5k for the1st team. Newcastle brought 3.5k on a cold foggy February evening.
    The northeast teams have unbelievable supporters no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Sheff wed brought a load in the 80s i think?

Depends if they can find some money from somewhere, the number of supporters is meaningless if the team on the pitch aren’t good enough

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    And it's too far away for an away trip, unless you're mental.
    Seriously? I love a Newcastle weekender.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Sheff wed brought a load in the 80s i think?
    I think it was 84 ?

Chelsea , Newcastle and Wednesday went up

Of all 3 Wednesday brought by far the biggest support , Ron Jones ccfc secretary knew loads were coming so hiked up the tickets for them

Howard Wilkinson asked them to tell CCFC to shove it but it was a waste of time , crowd was about 15000 , at least 9000 Wednesday there , all over the ground , scrapping all afternoon , a mate got knocked for throwing a golf ball , his defence was he missed 👍

I don't like them. I don't dislike them. I will admit they have decent support. But I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't like them. I don't dislike them. I will admit they have decent support. But I don't care.
    Would you prefer Liverpool etc with all their plastic fans to be at the top of British football or would you like genuine big regional clubs like Sunderland or Sheffield Wednesday to kick them up the arse ?

It's unlikely to ever be us

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Would you prefer Liverpool etc with all their plastic fans to be at the top of British football or would you like genuine big regional clubs like Sunderland or Sheffield Wednesday to kick them up the arse ?

Sheffield Wednesday,Sunderland,Newcastle and Leeds , very big clubs.

Who’s the biggest though ?

I’d say 1st Newcastle 2nd Leeds 3rd Wednesday then Sunderland.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Huge club in an unfortunate situation with their neighbours recently bought out by Arabs!

Probably can't get much worse for any traditionally 'big' rivals.
    They need to be bought out by Israel to even it up

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

If your talking British football Celitc and Rangers are bigger again massive world wide , you always see Celtic /Rangers or Glasgow pubs aboard.

If they were ever to "do a Leicester" that would be great. You can't really blame the big clubs for having "plastic" fans. Even though, they do court foreign investment and go on tours etc. I'm quite sure Liverpool and Man Utd would still be bigger clubs than those you mention without plastic fans though. There were plenty of plastic Leicester fans in the bars of New York the year they won the league. It would probably be the same with any club. We even got a handful of new American City fans the first time we were in the Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

Leeds because of the extra plastic support they got from the revie years which made them a big club and still hangs around now ?

Why else would there be coaches going to Leeds from South Wales ?

Newcastle if there was a level playing field would probably lead that group

Quite a few big but not plastic clubs out there ........and they are not plastic because they havnt had any real success for years and years

Wolves being another example

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If they were ever to "do a Leicester" that would be great. You can't really blame the big clubs for having "plastic" fans. Even though, they do court foreign investment and go on tours etc. I'm quite sure Liverpool and Man Utd would still be bigger clubs than those you mention without plastic fans though. There were plenty of plastic Leicester fans in the bars of New York the year they won the league. It would probably be the same with any club. We even got a handful of new American City fans the first time we were in the Premier.
    Sure and Newcastle will get hangers on down here if they upset the applecart.

But with Liverpool and United it's a different level

London has Arsenal , Chelsea and Spurs to a lesser extent yet you still see locals in Liverpool tops !

What chance have we got ?

Leeds because of the extra plastic support they got from the revie years which made them a big club and still hangs around now ?

Why else would there be coaches going to Leeds from South Wales ?

Newcastle if there was a level playing field would probably lead that group

Quite a few big but not plastic clubs out there ........and they are not plastic because they havnt had any real success for years and years

Wolves being another example
    I know more Leeds fans than Liverpool ones , very big in Newport

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I know more Leeds fans than Liverpool ones , very big in Newport
    When I used to go by supporters club coach we would pick up fans from Malpas Interchange and united or Liverpool fans would be waiting and they would of course be given the finger

Sure and Newcastle will get hangers on down here if they upset the applecart.

But with Liverpool and United it's a different level

London has Arsenal , Chelsea and Spurs to a lesser extent yet you still see locals in Liverpool tops !

What chance have we got ?
    We just need to be successful. If we got back in the EPL we'd fill that stadium every week. If we managed to stick around as long as Palace and Leicester have, we'd have a whole generation of new fans. We'd be famous, we'd be established, we'd attract better players and better managers.

The biggest problem is that we had two chances and the club ****ed them both up. Pretty badly.

When I used to go by supporters club coach we would pick up fans from Malpas Interchange and united or Liverpool fans would be waiting and they would of course be given the finger
    I know a few Wolves fans in Cwmbran