+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When Did Welsh Football Go 'All Nationalist?'

Re: When Did Welsh Football Go 'All Nationalist?'

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Never looked upon supporting club or country as a duty more of a pleasure I'd call it.
    Good for you.

As plenty of long-term fans can testify, there have been lengthy periods in which supporting Wales was anything but pleasurable, but some of us did so anyway because we were Welsh, football fans and therefore felt it was the right thing to do, particularly when few others were doing likewise.

Thankfully, it’s a different story altogether these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I know you’re just trying to stir the pot but it’s a bit of cheap point with everything that has gone on in general the last six years. People are more than entitled to think a certain way at this point in time and I don’t think it’s undermined by either of the points you mentioned.

If anything it should be a good thing that people are engaging regardless of which side of the line they’re on.
    A cheap point? I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean. People are more than entitled to think a certain way? I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean either.

What are you trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A cheap point? I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean. People are more than entitled to think a certain way? I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean either.

What are you trying to say?
    You said you find it amusing someone may think that way when the top clubs in Wales play in the English league as if something that was set up a hundred years ago makes it ironic to support Welsh independence in the present day.

Or the FAW doing what several countries in Europe are doing at the moment and utilising players with Welsh links that weren’t born here (see Callum Styles at Hungary, Matty Cash for Poland etc). I don’t really think either of the points you mentioned have any bearing on whether it’s ironic or not for supporters to be a ‘Welsh nationalist’, just seemed a lazy dig at those who are.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I don't understand why national teams are now nationalist, its a mystery
    Nationalistic, Patriotic, or perhaps just anti-English ?

in another thread on here ( by the nation cymru guy ) the discussion is about Football Fans for Independent Wales

not sure why people cant leave sport to just be sport, any political agenda should be kept out of it, otherwise we have issue of who is good and who is bad and that depends on personal views

the last game I came up the guy sat next to me ( a complete stranger ) spoke to me in Welsh ( despite the fact he must have heard me speaking to the girls in English ), yet he spoke to his 2 mates in English, it was all a little strange

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    You said you find it amusing someone may think that way when the top clubs in Wales play in the English league as if something that was set up a hundred years ago makes it ironic to support Welsh independence in the present day.

Or the FAW doing what several countries in Europe are doing at the moment and utilising players with Welsh links that weren’t born here (see Callum Styles at Hungary, Matty Cash for Poland etc). I don’t really think either of the points you mentioned have any bearing on whether it’s ironic or not for supporters to be a ‘Welsh nationalist’, just seemed a lazy dig at those who are.
    I do indeed find it amusing that the tub-thumping Welsh nationalist element of the team’s support want political independence on the one hand, but don’t want football independence on the other. It’s something that has always tickled me. Sorry about that.

As for players qualifying for national teams through grandparents, I think it’s a farcical situation and something that greatly devalues international football in general. It’s one of the reasons I’ve largely lost interest in it. But hey, if all those fiercely patriotic Welsh nationalists are happy to cheer on Englishmen wearing Welsh shirts, then that’s entirely up to them.

I do indeed find it amusing that the tub-thumping Welsh nationalist element of the team’s support want political independence on the one hand, but don’t want football independence on the other. It’s something that has always tickled me. Sorry about that.

As for players qualifying for national teams through grandparents, I think it’s a farcical situation and something that greatly devalues international football in general. It’s one of the reasons I’ve largely lost interest in it. But hey, if all those fiercely patriotic Welsh nationalists are happy to cheer on Englishmen wearing Welsh shirts, then that’s entirely up to them.
    A lot of the tub thumping Welsh Nationalists up North would be quite happy for the Welsh Clubs to play in Wales.

It would have no bearing on them as so many support Everton and Liverpool. Ive had conversations with them.

Some strange (and a little iffy) takes there but each to their own

Perhaps not, but the song's author has a conviction for defacing English-language road signs and it's pretty obvious who he's referring to when he's singing about 'everyone and everything'.

To be honest, I've got no real problem with it. Despite having been to a great many Wales games over the years, I don't go to many these days, so it doesn't really affect me. The sense of duty I once felt has long since passed and international football doesn't interest me anywhere near as much as it once did. But I do find the Welsh nationalist thing amusing and more than a little ironic given the make-up of the Wales team in recent years and the fact that all of our top clubs play in the English league system.
    I can understand your apathy to Cardiff City after the rebrand ( one of my sons still has it too) but seems strange to apply that to supporting the Welsh national team as well. There is so much to be liked about supporting the Wales team right now, a likeable bunch of players who appear to have a bond with the fans and each other and regularly perform above their status as league players. A wonderful sense of the whole nation ( north and south) behind the team with the previous silly issues between Cardiff Swansea and Newport fans at games hopefully now a thing of the past. Sensible affordable ticket pricing , in particular for kids and encouraging the Welsh language as part of the Welsh identity , whilst not ramming it down our throats , is only to be applauded .

I also thought the organisation at the stadium on Sunday was excellent, no problems getting in or getting served in the concourse

Of course a successful side also helps a lot!

I’ve also been going to Wales games since the 70’s and seems a strange thing to feel it was more “ interesting” to support Wales in the past when we were much less successful and much more of a shambles on and off the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I’ve also been going to Wales games since the 70’s and seems a strange thing to feel it was more “ interesting” to support Wales in the past when we were much less successful and much more of a shambles on and off the pitch
    I didn’t say I thought supporting Wales was more interesting in the past. It certainly wasn’t. It was boring more often than not. It’s definitely more interesting now, no doubt about that.

For me, international football has never had the same attraction as club football and I’ve never felt especially aligned to the Welsh national team. Don’t get me wrong, I always want them to win, supported them in person on countless occasions, including as a part of some very small crowds, but I’ve never been a big fan. Lots of reasons for that, but it’s by no means a recent development.

I’m probably a Dic Sion Dafydd in the eyes of many Gogs, Born and bred in the Capital but can’t even string one Welsh sentence together. I do find it one of the most rousing songs i’ve ever heard at a sports venue, but didn’t have a scooby what it meant, till someone posted the lyrics in English on here.
    Personally i feel very proud of my country, and it’s sporting achievements over the yrs, but does that make me a “Plastic” ?

Seems logical to me. In my opinion, Wales would better served outside of the UK and Cardiff would be better off playing in the English system. Many Scots want independence, the Celtic fans would probably still want to play in the EPL though.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Seems logical to me. In my opinion, Wales would better served outside of the UK and Cardiff would be better off playing in the English system.
    The political penny and the football bun.

I don't think it's that mad an idea that people want political independence but are happy for their football team to play in a bigger pyramid. I haven't seen many calls for the English clubs to leave the Champions League since Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't think it's that mad an idea that people want political independence but are happy for their football team to play in a bigger pyramid.
    Of course it's not a mad idea. Professional football in Wales would be as dead as a doornail if the League of Wales was where the likes of Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham competed. It's a comedy stance for any tub-thumping Welsh nationalist to take, though.

"We want independence and we want want it now! We don't want to be governed by a parliament that is predominantly English! We are Welsh, not British! We want Welsh sovereignty! Except when it comes to professional football, because our own league's a bit shit..."

By the way, the Brexit/Champions League comparison is feeble and you know it.

Barcelona would most probably piss the Catalonian Premier Division, can’t see Espanyol breaking away from La Liga

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Barcelona would most probably piss the Catalonian Premier Division, can’t see Espanyol breaking away from La Liga
    Can’t recall seeing Catalonia in the World Cup qualifying groups. Have they missed out on qualification again?

Catalans practically won the world cup for Spain as well!

Can’t recall seeing Catalonia in the World Cup qualifying groups. Have they missed out on qualification again?
    They haven’t achieved that yet but they have played 47 internationals in their history against the likes of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, France, Czechoslovakia, Paraguay, Soviet Union, Serbia & Montenegro, they’ve even played Spain 4 times.........feck me, that Wikipedia has some information

When Did Welsh Football Go 'All Nationalist?'

Since they hated England

They haven’t achieved that yet but they have played 47 internationals in their history against the likes of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, France, Czechoslovakia, Paraguay, Soviet Union, Serbia & Montenegro, they’ve even played Spain 4 times.........feck me, that Wikipedia has some information
    A record of W19 D12 & L16......perhaps they should give it a go, I think there’s a few from the region that’d welcome a split from Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't think it's that mad an idea that people want political independence but are happy for their football team to play in a bigger pyramid. I haven't seen many calls for the English clubs to leave the Champions League since Brexit
    Some of them did consider forming a European Super League though.

Met a Motherwell fan on holiday in Greece a few yrs ago. He told me Rangers and Celtic fans make up a very low percentage of the Tartan army. Not sure how this could be proved. Maybe Jimmy the Jock would know a bit about it ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Met a Motherwell fan on holiday in Greece a few yrs ago. He told me Rangers and Celtic fans make up a very low percentage of the Tartan army. Not sure how this could be proved. Maybe Jimmy the Jock would know a bit about it ?
    I get the impression that it’s a similar situation in England, looking at the banners/flags at their games. Towns like Maidenhead, Walsall, Swindon etc represented. The big guns fans....Man City, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc spend their money following their team rather than their country abroad, Chelsea may be an exception through the very nature of their fan base.

I get the impression that it’s a similar situation in England, looking at the banners/flags at their games. Towns like Maidenhead, Walsall, Swindon etc represented. The big guns fans....Man City, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc spend their money following their team rather than their country abroad, Chelsea may be an exception through the very nature of their fan base.
    Aren’t there areas where there is traditionally much more antipathy towards England team e.g. Scousers and Geordies?