+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Duolingo

Duolingo

Anybody use or used it?
    I'd like to improve on my rudimentary School Welsh.

If I were to start now, how much could I expect to improve by say The World Cup?

Re: Duolingo

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Anybody use or used it?

If I were to start now, how much could I expect to improve by say The World Cup?
    It's extremely limited, repetitive and very boring in my experience.
    Funnily enough, I was going to post a question asking about a good remote-learning course for Welsh.

Anybody use or used it?

I was speaking to someone just last night who said she did Duolingo Spanish every day for 6 months in preparation for a South American trip. After a couple of years, she can't remember a word. She's a maths teacher and admitted she's not a natural linguist, but you'd still imagine more would sink in after that length of time when you really want to learn.

Of course it's repetitive so that it eventually sinks in...i've tried welsh , Spanish and french.
    It helps a bit

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Of course it's repetitive so that it eventually sinks in...i've tried welsh , Spanish and french.
    It helps a bit
    I've dabbled with courses in respect of many languages over the years but I found it extremely tedious and poorly structured.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I've dabbled with courses in respect of many languages over the years but I found it extremely tedious and poorly structured.
    You are one of those cunning linguists though to be fair :)

Me, I was watching the game on S4C and couldn't remember what "Erbyn" meant even though I was familiar with the word.

I'd love to be able to speak reasonable Welsh, I'm exercising alot...just wonder if listening to these while I work out might be a good idea.

You are one of those cunning linguists though to be fair :)

Me, I was watching the game on S4C and couldn't remember what "Erbyn" meant even though I was familiar with the word.

I'd love to be able to speak reasonable Welsh, I'm exercising alot...just wonder if listening to these while I work out might be a good idea.
    I would advise taking in a language from as many sources as possible. I was hugely impressed by the Linguaphone courses of the late seventies/early eighties but they seem to have been radically changed (and possibly not for the better).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I would advise taking in a language from as many sources as possible. I was hugely impressed by the Linguaphone courses of the late seventies/early eighties but they seem to have been radically changed (and possibly not for the better).
    Thank you TBG.
    Think I will start with Duolingo next week and see where I go with it I guess.

It’s not bad mate. You’ll learn the rudimentary phrases etc. I’m starting it now as I start proper lessons in January.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    It’s not bad mate. You’ll learn the rudimentary phrases etc. I’m starting it now as I start proper lessons in January.
    Cheers Buddy.

My oldest daughter used it to help her with her Spanish for her GCSE ( a few years back ), she said it was clunky and not the same as learning in class, but her teacher said it would help, she got a 7 in her GCSE, so something worked

I’ve been using it for around three years give or take and for over two of those I’ve used it everyday to varying lengths. I’ve mainly been using it for French - due to travelling there fairly often and having studied it in school - and I’ve found it helpful. I went to Paris a couple of months ago and decided I would only try to communicate in French (unless it was an emergency or I really struggled) and did so successfully, granted I’m not trying to engage passersby in philosophical debates or anything. It went fairly seamlessly and my partner was genuinely impressed, should that count for anything!

It isn’t the be all and end all, and shouldn’t be seen as the sole source to use, but it has its benefits with consistent use. I’ve found that I’ll often try to construct sentences in my head or out loud by myself as I go about my daily life with what I’ve learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    I’ve been using it for around three years give or take and for over two of those I’ve used it everyday to varying lengths. I’ve mainly been using it for French - due to travelling there fairly often and having studied it in school - and I’ve found it helpful. I went to Paris a couple of months ago and decided I would only try to communicate in French (unless it was an emergency or I really struggled) and did so successfully, granted I’m not trying to engage passersby in philosophical debates or anything. It went fairly seamlessly and my partner was genuinely impressed, should that count for anything!

It isn’t the be all and end all, and shouldn’t be seen as the sole source to use, but it has its benefits with consistent use. I’ve found that I’ll often try to construct sentences in my head or out loud by myself as I go about my daily life with what I’ve learned.

That's really cool.

I just checked out the Duolingo site. More people are learning "High Valyrian" than Welsh. Over 300k are learning Klingon. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I just checked out the Duolingo site. More people are learning "High Valyrian" than Welsh. Over 300k are learning Klingon. WTF?
    Trekies got to speak to each other

I recommend learnwelsh.cymru, run by the local Unys with good teachers and good price. Plenty of courses over the summer and after, all online with Microsoft Teams or Zoom. If you're a beginner look for Mynediad(Entry).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    I recommend learnwelsh.cymru, run by the local Unys with good teachers and good price. Plenty of courses over the summer and after, all online with Microsoft Teams or Zoom. If you're a beginner look for Mynediad(Entry).
    Thanks Jeff

Is Welsh difficult to learn ?

I can understand some when listening to others but speaking it .......

International

I've been told the best language learning tool is Rosetta stone, but I don't know if it can be got for Welsh. Also it may be more expensive than your needs would allow for.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I've been told the best language learning tool is Rosetta stone, but I don't know if it can be got for Welsh. Also it may be more expensive than your needs would allow for.
    They didnt do welsh last time I looked

its about 10 quid a month ( so not a huge cost, 3 coffee's when out and about ) though they do a self learn ( so just the app ) for £250 for life

( they do have offers all the time, so might get it cheaper )

I’ve tried to use it to learn Polish, it’s helped me learn words but very little help conversationally