+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scottish Independence vote..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Scottish Independence vote..

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That's not irony - are you sure you know what it means?

There is no contradiction here either, it is perfectly reasonable to think that one union is beneficial to you and another not or no longer is.

Nobody is saying that there is "irony" in Ukraine wanting to leave the USSR and later wanting to join the EU?
    Another of your absurd comparisons. Which one is the UK in this? The USSR? It's true of course, unions differ, but it doesn't make the situation without irony as nearly every argument that Scotland will use to leave the UK will be a reversal of those used to remain in the EU. Sturgeons words will be used against her.

If you can't see any irony here, thats up to you I guess. (The irony goes both ways btw, including for those arguing we are stronger together as the UK, but advocating more political freedom by leaving the EU)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Another of your absurd comparisons. Which one is the UK in this? The USSR? It's true of course, unions differ, but it doesn't make the situation without irony as nearly every argument that Scotland will use to leave the UK will be a reversal of those used to remain in the EU. Sturgeons words will be used against her.

If you can't see any irony here, thats up to you I guess. (The irony goes both ways btw, including for those arguing we are stronger together as the UK, but advocating more political freedom by leaving the EU)
    I'm not comparing anyone to the USSR, I'm merely pointing out it is perfectly possible to want to be in one union and not in another, there doesn't have to be any contradiction, if you feel one is beneficial to you and one is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm not comparing anyone to the USSR, I'm merely pointing out it is perfectly possible to want to be in one union and not in another, there doesn't have to be any contradiction, if you feel one is beneficial to you and one is not.
    Yes, I understand that well. But there is also an irony on both sides, as many, if not all, of the arguments being made will be reversed.