+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: This flight to Rwanda

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: This flight to Rwanda

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I am just quoting JamesWales own words back to him. You remember surely - from the Politics Board just a few days ago where James and Dry Cleaning were doing their Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nadine Dories double act, and you were doing your best Michael Fabricant impression as back up.

As for debate, it is clear that illegal migration is a problem (for the migrants as well) with no easy solutions. Especially as the migrants are a mix of people looking for a better life and those who have suffered threats and torture. I would be on the side of the argument that focusses on prevention more than cure. Brutal regimes (sometimes backed by our government and allies), shattered economies (often in the Middle East following NATO attacks), dysfunctional international relationships that hinder joint action (increasingly with the EU), and a lack of resources to target the criminal gangs smuggling people - migrants, asylum seekers and trafficked women and children - go for the dealers before the users.

What I wouldn't jump on and defend is a cynical deflection policy of removing people without a fair or legal process (see posts above) that is massively expensive, cobbled together as red meat for Tory voters, and places vulnerable people in legal or administrative limbo on a different continent through a contract with a state that is still accused of human rights abuses. At least the ECRH has put a temporary stop on this - and prevented a 54 year old Iraqi torture victim being used as a prop in the Tory culture wars!
    Expensive! Don't make me laugh! We are, correct me if I am wrong, spending nearly £5m a day to house people coming from a safe country (from the blessed EU no less!) who are rich enough to jump the queue and fund criminal gangs to get here ahead of other people who apply legally.

That's £35m a week, when the country supposedly cannot afford a hundred other things.

This is an extremely complex situation, that is true, and we have to have empathy and clearly prevention is better than cure, correct, but we are where we are and the situation needs sorting because the situation is being massively exploited.

From what I can see, as a floating voter, one side are trying to sort it. The other are offering zero solutions and filling that gap with insults at those who are at least offering them.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Expensive! Don't make me laugh! We are, correct me if I am wrong, spending nearly £5m a day to house people coming from a safe country (from the blessed EU no less!) who are rich enough to jump the queue and fund criminal gangs to get here ahead of other people who apply legally.

That's £35m a week, when the country supposedly cannot afford a hundred other things.

This is an extremely complex situation, that is true, and we have to have empathy and clearly prevention is better than cure, correct, but we are where we are and the situation needs sorting because the situation is being massively exploited.

From what I can see, as a floating voter, one side are trying to sort it. The other are offering zero solutions and filling that gap with insults at those who are at least offering them.
    floating voter??

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    floating voter??
    Yeah. I split my vote in the last local elections.