+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: NHS Dentists

NHS Dentists

I’ve just had notice that my current dentist is no longer renewing its contract with the NHS after 18 years.

They are blaming it on the backlog of patients caused by lockdowns.

Whilst I’m fortunate to be able to pay for treatment, this is going to have a huge effect on the local area in respect of poorer families and especially children who’s treatment is free.

Anybody else having experienced his u-turn with their local practice and is this going to become the norm ?

Re: NHS Dentists

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’ve just had notice that my current dentist is no longer renewing its contract with the NHS after 18 years.

They are blaming it on the backlog of patients caused by lockdowns.

Whilst I’m fortunate to be able to pay for treatment, this is going to have a huge effect on the local area in respect of poorer families and especially children who’s treatment is free.

Anybody else having experienced his u-turn with their local practice and is this going to become the norm ?
    As part of their NHS training, dentists have to provide so many units of healthcare to patients using the NHS charging model. This goes some way in helping the NHS recoup the cost of training the dentist by being able to provide low cost dental treatment.

Like most people, dentists want to earn the most they can, so once they'd completed their requisite number of units, they stop providing NHS services as they can then charge (and earn) more.