+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tough day for City's Irish Under-21's

Tough day for City's Irish Under-21's

Apparently, Mark McGuiness gave away a needless penalty and was at fault for another goal as the Republic of Ireland's Under-21's were soundly beaten 4-1 by Italy's Under-21's yesterday afternoon. Meanwhile, Joel Bagan was substituted at half-time. Hopefully that was a tactical switch rather than an injury.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...tream-27232111

Re: Tough day for City's Irish Under-21's

I had my doubts about McGuinness, particularly towards the end of the season. One paced and prone to error.
    Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Apparently, Mark McGuiness gave away a needless penalty and was at fault for another goal as the Republic of Ireland's Under-21's were soundly beaten 4-1 by Italy's Under-21's yesterday afternoon. Meanwhile, Joel Bagan was substituted at half-time. Hopefully that was a tactical switch rather than an injury.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...tream-27232111
    I don't rate McGuiness, it's like he plays with concrete in his boots on times, he's a bit reckless in possession and gets himself square on to attackers way too much for my liking. He may develop, but i haven't seen any real natural attributes that can be nurtured. He's a bit stiff for my liking.

I had high hopes for McGuinness throughout much of last season, but he seemed to become more error-prone as the campaign wore on and he definitely became more reckless, both in possession and in his tackling. I'm hoping he can settle down as I think he has plenty of potential. However, as things stand, a centre-back pairing of him and Nelson looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I had high hopes for McGuinness throughout much of last season, but he seemed to become more error-prone as the campaign wore on and he definitely became more reckless, both in possession and in his tackling. I'm hoping he can settle down as I think he has plenty of potential. However, as things stand, a centre-back pairing of him and Nelson looks like an accident waiting to happen.
    Curtis nelson takes a good touch then knocks the ball too far in front of him, although he's no NML.

McGuiness Flint split again.

I think it was unfair to ask McGuinness to play as many games as he did, and Morison has said as much. We didn't have the option to rotate him as we did with the other youngsters and it showed in the second half of the season.

That said, I'm not sure how someone who came up through Arsenal can be such a poor passer of the ball.

Mark Mcguinness is only TWENTY ONE. He was at Arsenal for over ten years. Do you really think that a big club like them would keep a player that long if he had no ability or potential. Plus for a large part of last season he was our best defender and only tailed off a bit towards the end after his first full season in the league, when he was tired.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Mark Mcguinness is only TWENTY ONE. He was at Arsenal for over ten years. Do you really think that a big club like them would keep a player that long if he had no ability or potential.
    Who is this directed at?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Curtis nelson takes a good touch then knocks the ball too far in front of him, although he's no NML.
    NML was a nightmare though. He didn't have a clue what was going on, so defenders had no chance

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    NML was a nightmare though. He didn't have a clue what was going on, so defenders had no chance
    Yeah, it was part of my entertainment. I can remember sol bamba just looking to the heavens after nml had run the ball into touch again. You know that you're ****ed when Sol Bamba castigates unpredictability!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They must be murder to play against though, Rudy was similar, if he didn’t know what he was going to do next what chance did the defender have?