+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If a Championship team signs a bunch of players from Non league, Scottish league, League One and League two, where should they expect to finish?

If a Championship team signs a bunch of players from Non league, Scottish league, League One and League two, where should they expect to finish?

Asking for a friend

Re: If a Championship team signs a bunch of players from Non league, Scottish league, League One and League two, where should they expect to finish?

We’ll find out next season

Re: If a Championship team signs a bunch of players from Non league, Scottish league, League One and League two, where should they expect to finish?

Put another way. How many of the players we have released will play for a team that finishes above us next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Asking for a friend
    How long is a piece of string?

I remember in 2006 us signing McPhail from a League 1 club, Roger Johnson from League 2 Wycombe, Loovens was an unknown at Feyenoord, Willo Flood an unknown at Man City, Chopra an unknown at Newcastle, McNaughton from Aberdeen. We were top 6 for most of the season.

Didn’t the players signed today come from teams in the championship and the Premier League. Either way it’s only June, will judge the team on how they play come the start of the season.

Asking for a friend
    Throw in some loans and freebies plus some current Welsh internationals and I'd say top half.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Put another way. How many of the players we have released will play for a team that finishes above us next season?
    Josh Murphy, Premier League winner with Man City for one.

Asking for a friend
    I'm trying to be positive because you never know. Back of my mind i'm not confident of staying up.
    Have to See what the loan signings are like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

I remember in 2006 us signing McPhail from a League 1 club, Roger Johnson from League 2 Wycombe, Loovens was an unknown at Feyenoord, Willo Flood an unknown at Man City, Chopra an unknown at Newcastle, McNaughton from Aberdeen. We were top 6 for most of the season.
    Exactly, too much emphasis about where players are signing from. Luton signed a mixed bag of players (bit of a presumption on my part but they would've been on a tiny budget) and they did ok last season.

Bravo.

Let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Exactly, too much emphasis about where players are signing from. Luton signed a mixed bag of players (bit of a presumption on my part but they would've been on a tiny budget) and they did ok last season.
    Same as Huddersfield.

Chopra wasn’t unknown by any means

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Chopra wasn’t unknown by any means
    Thought he was a reserve player? Might remember it wrong been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Thought he was a reserve player? Might remember it wrong been a while.
    He was, but not unknown. Had been on loan and scored consistently if I remember. Media also bigged him up. Was also an exciting signing at the time (for me anyway)

He was, but not unknown. Had been on loan and scored consistently if I remember. Media also bigged him up. Was also an exciting signing at the time (for me anyway)
    Fair enough I don't remember as much as you, just looked up some stats on flashscores app after searching his name

Edit. Just looked played 21 games in the league over 4 seasons scoring 1 and played 2 champions league games for them in 02/03 he came on 84th minute against leverkusen and the same against Barcelona 84th minute same sub Lua Lua.

So the 2 sub appearances on live score are subs..I'd wager most of his 21 in the league in 4 years were 2 I just can't be arsed to check, was easy to look up just the 2.

Just shows Newcastle for the 4 years, no loans in between but they could be wrong

Edit again..just looking he had a few loans Watford forest Barnsley.. OK OK I concede

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Fair enough I don't remember as much as you, just looked up some stats on flashscores app after searching his name

Edit. Just looked played 21 games in the league over 4 seasons scoring 1 and played 2 champions league games for them in 02/03 he came on 84th minute against leverkusen and the same against Barcelona 84th minute same sub Lua Lua.

So the 2 sub appearances on live score are subs..I'd wager most of his 21 in the league in 4 years were 2 I just can't be arsed to check, was easy to look up just the 2.

Just shows Newcastle for the 4 years, no loans in between but they could be wrong
    I’m pretty sure he was on loan at Barnsley before we signed him and scored frequently which is why I remember being excited

I’m pretty sure he was on loan at Barnsley before we signed him and scored frequently which is why I remember being excited
    Yeah I was looking on "career" not "transfers" on the app stupidly. He scored 17 in 42 games. Concede again

Bottom 6 ?

I went to a Supporters Trust social evening last night where Rob Phillips and Jason Perry did a Q&A session and their view was that there is a degree of risk in most of the players we have signed so far. Can those signed from lower divisions step up? Some are evidently are a punt, will it work ? Can Morison find the right combination mould them into a team ready for the season ? Given the signings so far their view was that staying up would be a result and anything else a bonus. Of course, further signings might change their view

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I went to a Supporters Trust social evening last night where Rob Phillips and Jason Perry did a Q&A session and their view was that there is a degree of risk in most of the players we have signed so far. Can those signed from lower divisions step up? Some are evidently are a punt, will it work ? Can Morison find the right combination mould them into a team ready for the season ? Given the signings so far their view was that staying up would be a result and anything else a bonus. Of course, further signings might change their view
    We have signed the low hanging fruit so far. The more difficult hardened Championship pros and premier league loanees are yet to come. Could be as many as 7/8 more to come.
    Best to reserve judgement until we see those coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    We have signed the low hanging fruit so far. The more difficult hardened Championship pros and premier league loanees are yet to come. Could be as many as 7/8 more to come.
    Best to reserve judgement until we see those coming through.
    Those are the ones that will stir the public's interest (GB excluded). They don't even have to be highly sought after, just good solid pros like Don Cowie, players that will give the team balance and experience and can be relied upon to help knit the side together.

I dont believe the championship is actually very good quality wise.

If you look at teams like swansea luton and Huddersfield they have been able to do pretty well over the years with players who played in leagues 1 and 2. Many many more examples and players and whole teams who have made the step up. If they click then no reason a team of league 1 and 2 players etc cant get promoted in this league.