+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Too much football!

Too much football!

We need our players to be taking a break. To refresh themselves for the new season. As a fan I feel the same too.

Too many games, going on far too long.

Re: Too much football!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    We need our players to be taking a break. To refresh themselves for the new season. As a fan I feel the same too.

I think it's over for a month now. Hopefully they all get a good rest for the WC

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    I think it's over for a month now. Hopefully they all get a good rest for the WC
    Pre-season training starts on 2 July for some teams who have arranged friendly matches abroad.

International

I only get 4 weeks holiday a year and I'm paid a lot less than them. How much holiday do the need? With some it's just an excuse to get fat like an ex city player I won't mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I only get 4 weeks holiday a year and I'm paid a lot less than them.
    Yes, but in fairness you’re not a professional sportsman, are you? Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I’m going to take a wild guess - I reckon you’re completely talentless and physically unfit. Therefore, a direct comparison is somewhat futile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yes, but in fairness you’re not a professional sportsman, are you? Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I’m going to take a wild guess - I reckon you’re completely talentless and physically unfit. Therefore, a direct comparison is somewhat futile.
    Bit harsh

What about firemen?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    What about firemen?
    Good question. What about firemen?

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Bit harsh
    Edit, reply mainly aimed at xsnaggle sorry.

So the harsh comment only applies one way here? I don't know why I've bothered to log in after a break from here to reply, but don't you think players like Bale who rely on explosive pace should be looked after? "They only train and moan when they play 2 games a week I work on a building site 50 hours a week" blah blah.

It takes exeptional sacrifice to get where a lot of them get, and the levels they perform at ain't the same as a few fat blokes playing twice a week in the south Wales amateur league.

They perform to a standard and its not just 180 minutes a week and fun and games in between.

I know lads that hold down full time jobs and play a shit standard of football, when the games pile up they play 2 and 3 games a week at the end of the season to complete the fixtures, takes it out of them no doubt but let's be real it's **** all compared to what the top players, that have international obligations as well, put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    What about firemen?
    I know one who had 2 jobs. What's the point here in this thread though?

International

You're wrong!

There's no such thing as too much football. Look what we've got to put up with in the next six weeks.....bloody tennis, cricket and golf! I'll be on cold turkey till normal service resumes and the footie is back on 👍

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I only get 4 weeks holiday a year and I'm paid a lot less than them. How much holiday do the need? With some it's just an excuse to get fat like an ex city player I won't mentioned
    I think it probably true that most players get paid on the basis of how good they are with an expectation that they stay fit and play well for a full season. The issue is that this season for top players is even longer as could be next season for the more successful. De Bruyne is quoted as saying that he could potentially play 80 matches next season. There is only so much that the body can cope with.
    Similarly there is only so much that fans can put up with without losing interest, let alone dealing with the cost.

I got back from Rotterdam yesterday afternoon to find tickets for our friendlies against Cambridge and Newport on the doormat. 3 weeks! . Out with the old in with the new eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Pre-season training starts on 2 July for some teams who have arranged friendly matches abroad.
    Didn't realise it was that soon, maybe they've brought the season forward due to the WC. Hopefully the Welsh players will start pre season later given their exploits this summer

KdB has been mentioned a few times lately after Bale’s comments about him playing 80 games next season potentially. Pep will be the first to moan but regularly plays him in League Cup and FA Cup games, just had a look and last season he started against Wycombe and West Ham in the LC, and Swindon, Fulham and Southampton in the FA Cup. No need to play them games you would think.

Modric’s comments about it being inhumane a bit much mind. Should be fine for City anyway, most have had their feet up since the first week of May (or earlier than that you could argue)

International

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    KdB has been mentioned a few times lately after Bale’s comments about him playing 80 games next season potentially. Pep will be the first to moan but regularly plays him in League Cup and FA Cup games, just had a look and last season he started against Wycombe and West Ham in the LC, and Swindon, Fulham and Southampton in the FA Cup. No need to play them games you would think.
    I suspect Guardiola plays some of his best players in cup matches because he wants to win the competitions. Crazy stuff, I know.

In my opinion, the EFL Cup should be shelved and international friendlies, which are almost always utterly pointless, should also be done away with.

By the time 2022 is finished, Wales will have played at least 12 internationals during the calendar year. The total for the 2021/22 season was 14. That's ridiculous.

International

I suspect Guardiola plays some of his best players in cup matches because he wants to win the competitions. Crazy stuff, I know.

In my opinion, the EFL Cup should be shelved and international friendlies, which are almost always utterly pointless, should also be done away with.

By the time 2022 is finished, Wales will have played at least 12 internationals during the calendar year. The total for the 2021/22 season was 14. That's ridiculous.
    Agreed especially the internationals, it upsets the season and players get injured, there are enough qualifiers and finals as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

don't tennis players basically play all year round?
    They can rest when they're retired I say.

Football players should have 5 weeks annual leave that they can request at any time in the season

Being serious, I don't think most players at this level stop training at all over the summer - I can remember Warnock remarking that these days the players all come back from the summer break in top condition

I'd be happy with more than 12 internationals in 2022

The Nations League was supposed to cut down on pointless friendlies. I'm not convinced about it.

The EFL cup should only be football league teams only imo.