+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you old enough to remember…………

Are you old enough to remember…………

When Paul McCartney was the young, handsome one in the Beatles? Incredible to think he’s eighty today.

Happy birthday to someone who I’ve warmed to a lot as I’ve got older - one of the British music greats.

Re: Are you old enough to remember…………

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When Paul McCartney was the young, handsome one in the Beatles? Incredible to think he’s eighty today.

Happy birthday to someone who I’ve warmed to a lot as I’ve got older - one of the British music greats.
    No.

Unfortunately I was young enough for the Frog Song and Mull of Kintyre. 😂😂

I am old enough, just.

Whilst he was an integral part of one of the greatest song writers and bands of the last century, his post-Beatles stuff IMHO was crap.

John Lennon on the other hand...

Happy Birthday Sir Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I am old enough, just.

Whilst he was an integral part of one of the greatest song writers and bands of the last century, his post-Beatles stuff IMHO was crap.

John Lennon on the other hand...

Happy Birthday Sir Paul.
    If you have a listen to the Flowers in the Dirt and Off the Ground albums you may change your opinion regarding his post-Beatles stuff being crap. There are many excellent songs on both albums.

Could just be that you are in the Lennon camp and everything he wrote post-Beatles was sublime and McCartney less so.

Ah...time flies......I was in Hamburg with my father on holiday at this occasion:
    "The Beatles Opening for Brenda Lee (1962)

While just a one-off show, Brenda Lee's performance at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany now lives in infamy, because of her opening act: The Beatles. In an interview with CNN, Lee said after the show, she took a Beatles demo to her label, Decca Records, and tried to score them a record deal. The label reps told her, “That look will never make it, and that sound will never happen.” Oh…how those label reps were kicking themselves a year later."

I have been a Brenda Lee fan all my life.....have my photo with her and her husband in 1963 when she played the old Capitol Theatre in Cardiff.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfo...7626363006795/

I was also at a Rolling Stones Concert in Sophia Gardens in 1964 when they were not top billing.....I seem to remember them wearing yellow and black zigzag trousers.

Ah...the good old days....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Ah...time flies......I was in Hamburg with my father on holiday at this occasion:
    "The Beatles Opening for Brenda Lee (1962)

While just a one-off show, Brenda Lee's performance at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany now lives in infamy, because of her opening act: The Beatles. In an interview with CNN, Lee said after the show, she took a Beatles demo to her label, Decca Records, and tried to score them a record deal. The label reps told her, “That look will never make it, and that sound will never happen.” Oh…how those label reps were kicking themselves a year later."

I have been a Brenda Lee fan all my life.....have my photo with her and her husband in 1963 when she played the old Capitol Theatre in Cardiff.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfo...7626363006795/

I was also at a Rolling Stones Concert in Sophia Gardens in 1964 when they were not top billing.....I seem to remember them wearing yellow and black zigzag trousers.

Ah...the good old days....
    I am impressed mate. You have seen the best days.
    Spedger

[QUOTE=Moodybluebird;5311422

Could just be that you are in the Lennon camp and everything he wrote post-Beatles was sublime and McCartney less so.[/QUOTE]

Beatles and the decade after way before my time. Listened since.

Seems about right re Lennon and McCartney.

Just seems so obvious where the huge talent was.

My mum is 90! She let Dave Edmunds rehearse in her kitchen. i'll go with her over macca.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    If you have a listen to the Flowers in the Dirt and Off the Ground albums you may change your opinion regarding his post-Beatles stuff being crap. There are many excellent songs on both albums.

Could just be that you are in the Lennon camp and everything he wrote post-Beatles was sublime and McCartney less so.
    Possibly.
    I know what I like.

John Lennon was always my favourite Beatle and always will be, but he wrote some right pretentious crap in the late sixties and I’ve never been much of a fan of his final album which circumstances dictate tends to be seen as a signpost to the sort of stuff he would have gone on to produce if he had lived by some

I’ve not seen all of Get Back yet, but what I have seen of it and read about it tends to back up the reassessment I’ve undergone over the past fifteen to twenty years as to how good Paul McCartney is and the type of person he is.

You’ll get no argument from me about John Lennon being a genius, but that doesn’t have to mean that Paul McCartney isn’t one as well and shouldn’t be hailed as one.

John Lennon was always my favourite Beatle and always will be, but he wrote some right pretentious crap in the late sixties and I’ve never been much of a fan of his final album which circumstances dictate tends to be seen as a signpost to the sort of stuff he would have gone on to produce if he had lived by some

I’ve not seen all of Get Back yet, but what I have seen of it and read about it tends to back up the reassessment I’ve undergone over the past fifteen to twenty years as to how good Paul McCartney is and the type of person he is.

You’ll get no argument from me about John Lennon being a genius, but that doesn’t have to mean that Paul McCartney isn’t one as well and shouldn’t be hailed as one.
    Sadly, there isn’t much in Get Back that highlights genius in Lennon… McCartney on the other hand!!!!!

If John Lennon is considered a genius, then there should be no time wasted calling McCartney one too.

He had a more versatile voice than Lennon - he could go much higher, and could easily do soft ballads and loud belters.

He was hugely influential in changing the role of the bass guitar in popular music, an instrument he didn't even want to play.

He contributed a good number of timeless classics to British pop - you'd struggle to name a handful of people who have contributed more.

Yeah, some songs are awful like the Frog Song and Kintyre, and if they hadn't been commercially successful then it wouldn't be used as a stick. All of the Beatles had unlistenable songs in their solo career but most are rightly forgotten.

The Avant Garde side of the Beatles, which is incredible considering they are the most commercially successful band of all time, was pretty much all McCartney. Lennon liked it and wanted it, but McCartney was the one who went out to clubs to listen to it and understand how it worked (and to be fair to Lennon, he was at home with a baby at that point, although he's often associated with it).

I don't discredit what Lennon did. They would not have been what they were without him. He's rightly seen as an all time great. For me, McCartney is the top of the list of contributors to 20th century popular music, ahead of Hendrix, Dylan, etc, because he was so good at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Sadly, there isn’t much in Get Back that highlights genius in Lennon… McCartney on the other hand!!!!!
    This is true. Lennon had checked out at this time.

Now, the making of Abbey Road - that's the 8 hour epic I really want to see.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember it all

All this stuff about The Beatles - apparently Ringo was the only one to remain on good terms with all former bandmates throughout the breakup.

Me too …. Just

Macca & the Beatles were a huge influence on moving Britain on from 50s post war era.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Quite.

Whereas their partnership, or more accurately friendship, is mesmerising to watch, one seems to be delivering considerably more than the other! Maybe it was much different in their early years.

Born in 71 so didn't grow up with The Beatles but they're my favourite group after listening to my mother's records as a kid.

After reading and watching countless articles, programmes etc I've always though McCartney was the better songwriter and a lot more 'cool' than Lennon who if I'm honest comes across as a bit of a twaat.

Not saying McCartney wasn't a bit of a dick on times but he certainly struck me as someone who was the warmer person who has he became older realised trying to be cool all the time was an image for knobheads.

Lovely little anecdote from Richard Coles ex Communards lad on Twitter about McCartney.

https://twitter.com/RevRichardColes/...9yEBgeTBw&s=19

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Born in 71 so didn't grow up with The Beatles but they're my favourite group after listening to my mother's records as a kid.

After reading and watching countless articles, programmes etc I've always though McCartney was the better songwriter and a lot more 'cool' than Lennon who if I'm honest comes across as a bit of a twaat.

Not saying McCartney wasn't a bit of a dick on times but he certainly struck me as someone who was the warmer person who has he became older realised trying to be cool all the time was an image for knobheads.

Lovely little anecdote from Richard Coles ex Communards lad on Twitter about McCartney.

https://twitter.com/RevRichardColes/...9yEBgeTBw&s=19
    Cant read it, need to register!

They both are musical genius, get back will definitely show you that macca was a massive driving force of so much they did, the way he put together songs was off the scale….

might be of interest to a few on here

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    My mum is 90! She let Dave Edmunds rehearse in her kitchen. i'll go with her over macca.
    He used to live in Orbit Street, i think, near where I was brought up.
    As for the Beatles, I saw them in the Capitol with Moody Blues as back up. Hardly heard them sing a note because of the screaming going on.

QUIZ QUESTION: Name the artists that have sold over 100 million albums (including downloads) as a member of a group and over 100 million individually. There are three. Two are obvious and the third surprising to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    QUIZ QUESTION: Name the artists that have sold over 100 million albums (including downloads) as a member of a group and over 100 million individually. There are three. Two are obvious and the third surprising to me at least.
    For the third - Phil Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    For the third - Phil Collins?
    Yep. I got two right and thought the third was Diana Ross but Phil Collins is correct. The first two are more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    He used to live in Orbit Street, i think, near where I was brought up.
    As for the Beatles, I saw them in the Capitol with Moody Blues as back up. Hardly heard them sing a note because of the screaming going on.
    I think I'm right in saying Dave Edmunds went to Tredegarville School.