+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: fina

fina

women are women apparently

Re: fina

Fina bars transgender swimmers from women's elite events if they went through male puberty - https://www.bbc.com/sport/swimming/61853450

What's Sir Beer Korma's view

Don't see those petrol stations around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Fina bars transgender swimmers from women's elite events if they went through male puberty - https://www.bbc.com/sport/swimming/61853450

What's Sir Beer Korma's view
    What's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Don't see those petrol stations around anymore.
    Nor Elf petrol stations, always remember their advert on hoardings “now for Britain itself”. Everybody wondered what it was all about.

glad they have made a decision, FINA have sat on the fence for 5 years now, British swimming has been asking for guidance in that time
    and as far as I am concerned FINA has Bottled it but has been forced to act after Lia Thomas won a NCAA final

as a level 2S swim official I have had a few discussions about it, its never going to be fair a bloke who identifies as a female competes against females at a elite level

I wonder what Brit swimming will do now, personally, I think the ruling FINA has made should be applicable to Lv 2 and above meets in the UK, it'll be interesting

I see FINA are looking at a OPEN class for all to compete in, which is fair enough and 100% great, girls like Lea can still compete at the highest level but without the testosterone fuelled advantage

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    glad they have made a decision, FINA have sat on the fence for 5 years now, British swimming has been asking for guidance in that time
    and as far as I am concerned FINA has Bottled it but has been forced to act after Lia Thomas won a NCAA final

as a level 2S swim official I have had a few discussions about it, its never going to be fair a bloke who identifies as a female competes against females at a elite level

I wonder what Brit swimming will do now, personally, I think the ruling FINA has made should be applicable to Lv 2 and above meets in the UK, it'll be interesting

I see FINA are looking at a OPEN class for all to compete in, which is fair enough and 100% great, girls like Lea can still compete at the highest level but without the testosterone fuelled advantage
    That's broadly where I am. I have little difficulty with anyone managing their life to their most comfortable gender. I am more uncomfortable with the idea that your physicalilty would give you an advantage in sports versus other people.

Rugby League announces the same, will happen accross all sports hopefully...

Sebastian Coe seemed to sum it up pretty well when he said, that they fully support both inclusion and fairness, but fairness must take priority.

it's a really difficult thing to get right, but I think Fina have probably made the right call here.
    in swimming especially limb length is so important it will never be a level playing field.
    at the end of the day you have to think what is the purpose of women having separate sports - it is because men have an unfair advantage.

hopefully this will ultimately lead to an overall positive for the trans community, as many of the anti trans stories you see use the framework of women's sports to garner support for their position, because many people agree that it isn't fair. take that out of the equation and people are far less interested in what people wear or what bathroom they use in general, so the anti-trans will find their voices much more isolated

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's a really difficult thing to get right, but I think Fina have probably made the right call here.
    in swimming especially limb length is so important it will never be a level playing field.
    at the end of the day you have to think what is the purpose of women having separate sports - it is because men have an unfair advantage.

hopefully this will ultimately lead to an overall positive for the trans community, as many of the anti trans stories you see use the framework of women's sports to garner support for their position, because many people agree that it isn't fair. take that out of the equation and people are far less interested in what people wear or what bathroom they use in general, so the anti-trans will find their voices much more isolated
    I do agree with you but if I was ‘trans’ I’d still feel like an outsider, still neither female or male

Hopefully trans people will still feel accepted with this decision