+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Train strikes

Re: Train strikes

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Tories are scum
    aren't scot rail on strike? is krankie a tory?

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    She's just a twat

She's just a twat
    lesson to everyone there is always common ground to be found

I will always vote Tory.
    You swine.

They're not actually. The SNP and the unions came to an agreement up there. Even krankie could manage a better deal than Michael green/grant shapps.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    They're not actually. The SNP and the unions came to an agreement up there. Even krankie could manage a better deal than Michael green/grant shapps.
    It's not the SNP, it's ScotRail management, surely? The drivers did go on strike previously and then their union (ASLEF) accepted 5%. It seems the RMT rejected that. I'm not sure if anything has changed in that respect in the last couple of week?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61737750

that doesn't tally with any information i can find , but your probly right. why would the government get involved in a private company dispute?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's not the SNP, it's ScotRail management, surely? The drivers did go on strike previously and then their union (ASLEF) accepted 5%. It seems the RMT rejected that. I'm not sure if anything has changed in that respect in the last couple of week?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61737750
    I'd imagine it's a combination of management and government. It's the government who are paying the bills , same as the English toc's. There are no scotrail staff on strike at present. I think they are in a similar position to wales though, as the network rail signallers being on strike is shutting down a lot of their network.

that doesn't tally with any information i can find , but your probly right. why would the government get involved in a private company dispute?
    Because the private companies are only on fixed fee management contracts now. All costs are borne by government and all revenue goes to government. I'd agree with you if we still had the old style franchises, but these post covid management contracts are very different.

Because the private companies are only on fixed fee management contracts now. All costs are borne by government and all revenue goes to government. I'd agree with you if we still had the old style franchises, but these post covid management contracts are very different.
    i bow to your knowledge but even the union leaders seem to be saying the billions are going to the franchise holders not the government

Mick Lynch has done more for workers in one day than Starmer has in years. He comes off incredibly well when interviewed, made Kay Burley look like a mug earlier.

I Feel for the passenger's this week, huge levels of disruption. The government have orchestrated this in my opinion. Refused to speak to the unions about pay for 3 years, so I don't see what other choice the unions had. Was a bit worried to see an Rmt official suggesting that these strikes could go til Christmas though. Not sure I can afford to lose 3 days pay a month for that long. Personally I'm hoping a rise of around 4% can be negotiated and we can get back to normal.
    4% is a pitiful amount though, inflation when you include housing, petrol, gas and electric is likely above 20%, possibly even higher. The billionaires get richer but workers get poorer every single year.

i bow to your knowledge but even the union leaders seem to be saying the billions are going to the franchise holders not the government
    Some of the rmt figures were a bit pie in the sky. They tried to show how much first group had made, without realising/acknowledging that the cast majority of that profit had come from flogging the greyhound business in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    4% is a pitiful amount though, inflation when you include housing, petrol, gas and electric is likely above 20%, possibly even higher. The billionaires get richer but workers get poorer every single year.
    To be honest I think that the chances of us getting anything more than that is virtually non existent. Personally I'd have taken 4%, obviously can't speak for my colleagues though

mr lynch getting 20% of 124 thou nice work if you can get it

UK official inflation is CPI at 9%, RPI at 11%. This stagflation is bad enough. Should it become hyperinflation then man the lifeboats.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    UK official inflation is CPI at 9%, RPI at 11%. This stagflation is bad enough. Should it become hyperinflation then man the lifeboats.
    I'm not sure of the difference between consumer prices index and retail price index but i don't believe that covers anything I listed. (Housing, fuel, gas/electric). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure of the difference between consumer prices index and retail price index but i don't believe that covers anything I listed. (Housing, fuel, gas/electric). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    CPI and RPI both include the costs you have referred to. The main difference between them is the cost of mortgages, which are included in RPI but not CPI.

Inflation is nowhere near 20%, but give it time and the way things are going

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    CPI and RPI both include the costs you have referred to. The main difference between them is the cost of mortgages, which are included in RPI but not CPI.

CPI is a weighted average aswell, whereas RPI is a more similar arithmetic mean.

I'm curious about the weighting of this as fuel has gone up by at least 30% over the past 12 months, electric and gas has basically doubled. These aren't like cars, these are things people have to spend money on now.

Also just to add is rent included anywhere?

I'm curious about the weighting of this as fuel has gone up by at least 30% over the past 12 months, electric and gas has basically doubled. These aren't like cars, these are things people have to spend money on now.
    There are something like 100 of the most common items in both CPI and RPI calculations, and whilst some might be rising in price, others might be falling or remaining the same. Inflation is a weighted average of the price rises of everything put together. It is also the weighted average for the average person. so whilst the cost of nappies or iPhones may be included, these probably aren't relevant for pensioners.

Also, rent is included in RPI and CPI.

There are something like 100 of the most common items in both CPI and RPI calculations, and whilst some might be rising in price, others might be falling or remaining the same. Inflation is a weighted average of the price rises of everything put together. It is also the weighted average for the average person. so whilst the cost of nappies or iPhones may be included, these probably aren't relevant for pensioners.

Also, rent is included in RPI and CPI.
    I'd like to think a pensioner is more like to need a nappy than I do (excluding after a big night out obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    First thing I'd say is they obviously have a right to strike and that also it is very noteworthy that this ballot had a very high turnout and a very high level of support for striking. That is pretty rare and what undermines most strikes and dooms them to fail.

That said, whilst it may be good for the workers in question (or it may not long term, if it leads to higher fares or reduced services) but I don't think it's what the country needs for two reasons.

Firstly, after decades of rising passenger numbers, they absolutely collapsed during Covid. All the workers were kept in work not because they worked in a viable industry but through government support, paid for by us (or more accurately, our children). I think that makes a difference here.

Secondly, this won't solve inflation, if anything it will make it worse. If everyone tries to get a 10% wage rise to combat inflation, then the cost of what they are selling will quite likely also rise by 10%, unless there is a miraculous increase in productivity of course, which is unlikely.

It feels a little bit 'on the wrong side of history' really. With so many working from home, demand for rail transport will very likely never again reach the peak we saw about three years ago, and this will only exacerbate that. The disruption caused has been nothing what it would have been and it does feel like a battle they will not win.

On balance, i support their right to strike, but despite having a very clear mandate I think they've made the wrong call for themselves and the country. Inflation is shit, my pay rise will be well below the level of inflation but if we want inflation to pass I think this is a pain we are going to have to ride out without expecting huge pay rises.
    A few points, inflation is happening and has been happening for years, certainly pre COVID. The hens are coming home roost about Brexit, as well. Network Rail made 500m last year. The rich are getting richer, and the working classes are paying for it. Inflation is brought on by Tory ineptitude and greed. Pay rises should be in line with inflation, as the products are made more and more expensive. National Rail also put their fares up by 4% this year, while staff haven't had a pay rise in 4 years.

Re the wrong side of history comment, if anyone will come out on the wrong side of history, it will be the Tories and the rich. The NR boss is on 600k a year while many staff are on under 20k a year, and are getting poorer year on year.

The gap between rich and the rest in this country is growing at an alarming rate, and if we don't stop it now, we never will. The Tories want this to happen, and they want the strike to sow division.

As for Mick Lynch, refreshing to hear someone sit so many of these politicians and "experts" down. He knows his stuff, and he also doesn't have to worry about his "progression" or the rest of the garbage the MPs and other guests think about. He's doing what he thinks is right and has the facts to back it up and the lying Tory MPs have no answer apart from personal insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    A few points, inflation is happening and has been happening for years, certainly pre COVID. The hens are coming home roost about Brexit, as well. Network Rail made 500m last year. The rich are getting richer, and the working classes are paying for it. Inflation is brought on by Tory ineptitude and greed. Pay rises should be in line with inflation, as the products are made more and more expensive. National Rail also put their fares up by 4% this year, while staff haven't had a pay rise in 4 years.

Re the wrong side of history comment, if anyone will come out on the wrong side of history, it will be the Tories and the rich. The NR boss is on 600k a year while many staff are on under 20k a year, and are getting poorer year on year.

The gap between rich and the rest in this country is growing at an alarming rate, and if we don't stop it now, we never will. The Tories want this to happen, and they want the strike to sow division.

As for Mick Lynch, refreshing to hear someone sit so many of these politicians and "experts" down. He knows his stuff, and he also doesn't have to worry about his "progression" or the rest of the garbage the MPs and other guests think about. He's doing what he thinks is right and has the facts to back it up and the lying Tory MPs have no answer apart from personal insults.
    Well said, I cannot get my head around why anyone votes tory these days. Fortunately the young see through the lies and how the media is basically all owned by right wing billionaires. You look at the demographics and you'll see tories are dying out. I've known 3 Tories in my life closely, one believed in angels, one turned out to literally be a paedophile and the other was a wife beater.

Why is there a huge correlation between education and voting left wing? Weird that.

Most young people want what people in this country had in the past, houses and families. In the 60s you could own a house and have a family just on a postman's salary without your other half working, why have we made society so that we can't do this today? Weird how there's more billionaires than ever now.