+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Buying a car.

Buying a car.

My mums old nissan micra (Automatic) has finally gone to rust heaven, so after another little run around (has to be automatic and small) any ideas where to look? cheers.

Re: Buying a car.

Try Jimmy the Jock, he will give you good advice as well👍

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Try Jimmy the Jock, he will give you good advice as well��

Lots of people will warn you against small car automatics, due to many of them actually being semi-automatic systems.

However I recently needed a small affordable car that had to be Automatic.

I did a fair amount of research and settled on a Honda Jazz.

They have a good reputation for being reliable, and the 'magic' rear seats, can turn the car into a combo van with the amount of space available.

I would avoid pre 2010. as they use i-shift transmission, which is not popular.

2011-present uses CVT, some people do not like it as it is torqued for high revving, but I can get a nice smooth drive from it, and it is a reliable gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Lots of people will warn you against small car automatics, due to many of them actually being semi-automatic systems.

However I recently needed a small affordable car that had to be Automatic.

I did a fair amount of research and settled on a Honda Jazz.

They have a good reputation for being reliable, and the 'magic' rear seats, can turn the car into a combo van with the amount of space available.

I would avoid pre 2010. as they use i-shift transmission, which is not popular.

2011-present uses CVT, some people do not like it as it is torqued for high revving, but I can get a nice smooth drive from it, and it is a reliable gearbox.
    Cheers. It's for my elderly mother, so has to be Automatic, and small, like a nissan micra etc. Nothing fancy, she only drives very local.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Cheers. It's for my elderly mother, so has to be Automatic, and small, like a nissan micra etc. Nothing fancy, she only drives very local.
    https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used...5-door-r1cw8lv

Just an example of something that could be what your after

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used...5-door-r1cw8lv

Just an example of something that could be what your after

Funnily enough, I’m in the same boat. Looking for an automatic for my mother but the prices for second hand cars are ridiculous. .

Bit of a minefield , if you get it wrong and gearbox is no good they are usually throw away cars .
    If your mum is anything like mine was , just needed the comfort of a car outside..
    What is the budget ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Bit of a minefield , if you get it wrong and gearbox is no good they are usually throw away cars .
    If your mum is anything like mine was , just needed the comfort of a car outside..
    What is the budget ?
    No she doesn't want a C63

What is the budget ?
    about 5 grand Jim.

about 5 grand Jim.
    I just had a look on e bay , 07 Micra with 50,000 miles , looks a nice car fairly local just under £4K .Item number 284899502037
    Its actually Salisbury... Its may help its what your mum is used too.
    I am about next week during the week if you want me to have a look with you .
    BUT as I said if there is a problem with the box and it doesn't show for a bit its a throw away car.

about 5 grand Jim.
    Quick search on Autotrader shows a 2010 Micra with 41k from Tiley a dealer in Bristol (I would suggest sticking to a dealer unless you know where the car is coming from ) £4999.

Quick search on Autotrader shows a 2010 Micra with 41k from Tiley a dealer in Bristol (I would suggest sticking to a dealer unless you know where the car is coming from ) £4999.
    Cheers Jim, very helpful, and thanks for the offer, very kind. I will take a look at the cars you have listed