Colwill

Is he a starting XI quality?

Re: Colwill

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Is he a starting XI quality?
    Not yet.

Yes.

If the transfer window comes and no incoming striker then id play him there.

If not should be in the side anyway.

Didnt play well tonight though.

Yes.

Obviously.

Yes, but he didn't do himself any favours last night.

He has bags of talent, but looks a bit heavy and looks like he needs to lose a bit of weight and get that extra bit of fitness which would come if he lost half a stone or so

For me it should be him of Sawyer starting, I don’t bet why we play 3 midfielders the same and then Harris and Watters in front. Was never going to work.

He looked very big last night. Has he been on the weights this summer.

Not sure his size is any issue. I think he was probably disappointed (rightly so) in not playing and tried to make an impression and it just went wrong. It wasnt just him Philagene was poor as well.

It was a really bad night.

Our season could well be decided over the coming hours. We needed strikers through the door. Forget age. If they can do a job get them through the door.

Tough ask for a young kid to come on and turn a game around against a team with 8 behind the ball and the crowd already on the teams back IMO

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    He looked very big last night. Has he been on the weights this summer.

Not sure his size is any issue. I think he was probably disappointed (rightly so) in not playing and tried to make an impression and it just went wrong. It wasnt just him Philagene was poor as well.

It was a really bad night.

Our season could well be decided over the coming hours. We needed strikers through the door. Forget age. If they can do a job get them through the door.

He gave the ball away a lot last night a couple of times in dangerous areas, I don't think Morison will start with him start him while if he keeps giving the ball away. .

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    He gave the ball away a lot last night a couple of times in dangerous areas, Morison doesn't like that, not sure he'll start him while he's doing that.
    To be fair we needed a goal. Had to take risks and try and create something.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Tough ask for a young kid to come on and turn a game around against a team with 8 behind the ball and the crowd already on the teams back IMO
    I didn't get a sense they were on the teams back frustrated yes but thought the fans got behind the team from where I was in the ground - might have been different where you were sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    I agree about 8 behind the ball. Not the crowd.

Its another worry though. If results keeping going against us and we slip further down the table and dont score its going to be inevitable the crowd will turn.

There were slight moments of discontent but the crowd was reasonable considering our lack of attacking threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I didn't get a sense they were on the teams back frustrated yes but thought the fans got behind the team from where I was in the ground - might have been different where you were sitting?
    Yeah I agree.

Fair enough. I'm not in the UK, but the stream made it sound like the crowd had turned at times in the last 20. I stand corrected.

To me never looks quick enough even for Championship. Everything he does looks in slow motion. I think people get a bit more excited about him because he's 'one of ours', but not for me.

He needs to find what type of player he is. He's disjointed, he's not a midfielder or a natural striker. He does his best work when driving forward with the ball from a central position. The problem as i see it is that some aspects of his game are poor, and i mean the basics, like positional play, being out of possession, awareness, decision making in tight positions and when he receives the ball with his back to goal. I think that there are too many negatives at the moment, with the simple aspects of his game, i also question his footballing intelligence.

He possesses natural ability in advanced areas, very assertive, but he needs to develop his all round game and maybe learn to find pockets of space that can suit his sometimes languid style, a bit like Jason Fowler could do, albeit at a lower level. It will be interesting to see if he develops, he might not, and if he doesn't, i really don't think that he will have a career at this level.

He should be given 5/6 games in his natural position attacking midfield. The way he’s being used at the moment he’s more likely to fail than succeed. Needs a different manager to get the best out of him imo.

I also think that because he's a big lad, he like to play slow, or he can look slow in possession. He's never going to show that urgency, zip etc, he's methodical in possession but very strong when moving forward with the ball. I can see Morisons problem, and i can also see that Colwill may need to be specifically placed on a football pitch with a remit that just concentrates on the positive aspects, although that's a big ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He needs to find what type of player he is. He's disjointed, he's not a midfielder or a natural striker. He does his best work when driving forward with the ball from a central position. The problem as i see it is that some aspects of his game are poor, and i mean the basics, like positional play, being out of possession, awareness, decision making in tight positions and when he receives the ball with his back to goal. I think that there are too many negatives at the moment, with the simple aspects of his game, i also question his footballing intelligence.

He possesses natural ability in advanced areas, very assertive, but he needs to develop his all round game and maybe learn to find pockets of space that can suit his sometimes languid style, a bit like Jason Fowler could do, albeit at a lower level. It will be interesting to see if he develops, he might not, and if he doesn't, i really don't think that he will have a career at this level.
    If he was played as a number 10 behind a decent centre forward, with two holding midfielders doing the closing down and the donkey work, that's when we will see the best of Colwill
    He needs a run of 5/6 games in that position to establish it as his own, not playing out wide left one minute and then on the right.
    A decent manager would help him fulfill his true potential, but there again a decent manager wouldn't ridicule him in public!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He should be given 5/6 games in his natural position attacking midfield. The way he’s being used at the moment he’s more likely to fail than succeed. Needs a different manager to get the best out of him imo.
    He's never been given a run of games in a set position and it shows. I really have to question people doubting he's good enough for this level, he scored good goals last season, has shown up good international players both last season and in the summer, but people are questioning if he's good enough to play against the likes of Sonny Bradley? Madness.

He's also never really had a consistent run of starts, never mind full games, add that to a lack of a consistent position then it's a recipe for disaster.

I think it's fairly obvious that Morison either doesn't rate him or doesn't know how to use him. Hopefully it's the latter and he figures it out eventually

I agree Colwill needs to play.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He's never been given a run of games in a set position and it shows. I really have to question people doubting he's good enough for this level, he scored good goals last season, has shown up good international players both last season and in the summer, but people are questioning if he's good enough to play against the likes of Sonny Bradley? Madness.

He's also never really had a consistent run of starts, never mind full games, add that to a lack of a consistent position then it's a recipe for disaster.

I think it's fairly obvious that Morison either doesn't rate him or doesn't know how to use him. Hopefully it's the latter and he figures it out eventually
    I don't think that Morison does rate him, i said as much some months ago, as did Hartley, i think?