+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For all us Pensioners

Re: For all us Pensioners

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The politics of envy rears its ugly head again. Penalise hard working people who have paid their National Insurance in full all their working lives, many at higher rates and have had the foresight to save, or pay in to private pension plans as well, to help in their retirement years are told ‘sorry you cant have any state pension because we have to give it all to people who couldn't be even bothered getting a job or haven't contributed anything into the scheme or didn't bother to have the foresight to think ahead and save a bit’. Spongers charter I would call it. Anyone who introduced a stupid scheme like that wouldn't last five minutes.
    Hardly the politics of envy. It's the politics of looking after the most needy and good husbandry to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    You haven't got a state pension because people like you have got no balls.In France they took to the streets.Not a ****ing wimper in this country.For every year the Tories have took off the pension age for someone who has paid full N.I that's a loss of £185.15 a week.For a bloke whose pension age is 67 that's a loss of £19240 and a woman £67340.It's mega bucks.Still I'm sure your better off under the Tories.
    We are soft

As you say the French would be toe to toe with the crs riot police

Here the rich sit by whilst everyone else scraps for the bits in a race for the bottom

Train drivers being called scum by builders

Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Could that not be more to do with the exorbitant fees care homes charge ? Not far short of £900 a week in some cases. Are you advocating that state pensions should be increased to £50000+ per year ?
    I still know the majority of the people I went to school with & the richest by far is a guy that owns 3 care homes. He’s a multi-millionaire, home in the south of France, big yacht that he sails the Med. in, and an ex-Labour councillor.

My nephews wife worked for him for a while. Minimum pay & maximise the income from the residents.

Getting fed up of this myth that all pensioners are Tories, load of bollox. When people turn 65 they suddenly change allegiance?

As someone who had been paid the state pension since February, I find it hard to come up with reasons to justify the triple lock in the circumstances the country finds itself in. Having spent the time since I moved up here in March 2018 existing on virtually no savings, a works pension and the generosity of those who are patrons of my blog (my total income per annum meant that I had to pay a small amount of income tax each year), I am now able to save a fairly substantial amount every month which should enable me to make the whole house habitable rather than the three quarters of it I've been living in.

it's a bugger that my works pension has been cut by about £100 a month since I've become eligible for the state pension, but, although I'm hardly living in the lap of luxury and the amount I save each month will almost certainly drop in the autumn when the next round of energy price increases kick in, I don't think I need the sort of pension increase the triple lock will bring in.

I appreciate that there will be hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of pensioners who will need the triple lock increase come the winter, but if there were a scheme whereby people could decline it on an individual basis, I would do so this time, because I think it's wrong to give all pensioners the sort of preferential treatment that the triple lock boils down to in reality.

Chickens coming home to roost for pensioners, working people have had wages decimated over the past 12 years, older people continue to vote for this, so why shouldn't they do their part as well?

If it were up to me I'd vastly improve state pensions as we have one of the lowest in the developed world, older people would call me a communist or Marxist for that though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As someone who had been paid the state pension since February, I find it hard to come up with reasons to justify the triple lock in the circumstances the country finds itself in. Having spent the time since I moved up here in March 2018 existing on virtually no savings, a works pension and the generosity of those who are patrons of my blog (my total income per annum meant that I had to pay a small amount of income tax each year), I am now able to save a fairly substantial amount every month which should enable me to make the whole house habitable rather than the three quarters of it I've been living in.

it's a bugger that my works pension has been cut by about £100 a month since I've become eligible for the state pension, but, although I'm hardly living in the lap of luxury and the amount I save each month will almost certainly drop in the autumn when the next round of energy price increases kick in, I don't think I need the sort of pension increase the triple lock will bring in.

I appreciate that there will be hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of pensioners who will need the triple lock increase come the winter, but if there were a scheme whereby people could decline it on an individual basis, I would do so this time, because I think it's wrong to give all pensioners the sort of preferential treatment that the triple lock boils down to in reality.
    Why has your occupational been cut, TOBW?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Why has your occupational been cut, TOBW?
    Pensioners who have been receiving their private/ occ pensions and been living off this may not be above the tax threshold.

Start receiving State Pension then this is taxable income. They then go over the threshold.They dont take the tax off the SP they deduct it from the private pension.

I presume this has what has happened with Bob.

Its certainly the case with loads who have retired early on a private pension then inherit a State Pension.

I can't stand these daily mail types in nice houses who say .......I have worked hard all my life ! ........as if cleaners , care workers and shop workers have sat on their arses ?

Brass neck of people like that , three holidays a year , private pension , private health care.......

But some poor sod with a knackered back after working on the refuge in the old days .......oh he's workshy ! A week with his wife in Porthcawl ? ........how did he afford that !

Curtain twitching tory bastards

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I can't stand these daily mail types in nice houses who say .......I have worked hard all my life ! ........as if cleaners , care workers and shop workers have sat on their arses ?

Brass neck of people like that , three holidays a year , private pension , private health care.......

But some poor sod with a knackered back after working on the refuge in the old days .......oh he's workshy ! A week with his wife in Porthcawl ? ........how did he afford that !

Are you Scargills lovechild by any chance. You're the biggest commy tw8t on here

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Pensioners who have been receiving their private/ occ pensions and been living off this may not be above the tax threshold.

Start receiving State Pension then this is taxable income. They then go over the threshold.They dont take the tax off the SP they deduct it from the private pension.

I presume this has what has happened with Bob.

Its certainly the case with loads who have retired early on a private pension then inherit a State Pension.
    I am familiar with the situation regarding how income tax is applied when one has both a state and occupational pension but TOBW mentioned a 'cut' in his occupational pension rather than it now being subject to tax. Maybe it's just his wording, as you suggest.

International

That is blatent envy, some people will do better than you, some will be worse off, just get on with your life do the best you can for you and your family, someone will always have more, we all get the same opportunaties, some people will always make more of them or make better financial decisions.

I am familiar with the situation regarding how income tax is applied when one has both a state and occupational pension but TOBW mentioned a 'cut' in his occupational pension rather than it now being subject to tax. Maybe it's just his wording, as you suggest.
    No, I got my full Civil Service pension for February and March, but it dropped by about £95 from April. I don't get any sort of breakdown of my Civil Service pension on a monthly basis, so don't know for sure what's happening, but I suspect that, whereas I had filed my own tax returns (including 21/22) for the years when I was just receiving the Civil Service pension and the money from the blog patrons, they're now taking tax off me, so, yes, "cut" wasn't the right word to use - assuming that I'm right in my thinking.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Chickens coming home to roost for pensioners, working people have had wages decimated over the past 12 years, older people continue to vote for this, so why shouldn't they do their part as well?

If it were up to me I'd vastly improve state pensions as we have one of the lowest in the developed world, older people would call me a communist or Marxist for that though.
    OK so people working get an increase in tax and NI as thas where the money comes from, so pensioners get an increase and tax payers lose even more yes good one!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That is blatent envy, some people will do better than you, some will be worse off, just get on with your life do the best you can for you and your family, someone will always have more, we all get the same opportunaties, some people will always make more of them or make better financial decisions.
    No it's hatred of twats who think they work hard ......yet other people who clearly get paid less .....don't

They deserve a flash car ......the rest can piss off

Entitled faux rich

Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post
    Are you Scargills lovechild by any chance. You're the biggest commy tw8t on here
    Aye

Now piss off tarquin

Obviously untrue. I agree some people make more of their opportunities than others - for a variety of reasons - but the idea that we all have the same chances in life and the playing field is level is total nonsense.

Well done Sludgie, nail and head!

International

No it's hatred of twats who think they work hard ......yet other people who clearly get paid less .....don't

They deserve a flash car ......the rest can piss off

Entitled faux rich

Maybe those people started in a poorly paid job and worked hard and thought this isn't for me i'm working my nuts off for peanuts, so decided to take a risk and do something else, or worked hard and worked there way up.

They would see it that people who took the easy route stayed in the comfort zone a bit to scared to work there way out are a bit lazy, shouldn't be moaning now that the government should tax the people who worked hard on themsleves and out of poorly paid jobs, should pay tax for their pensions?

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Obviously untrue. I agree some people make more of their opportunities than others - for a variety of reasons - but the idea that we all have the same chances in life and the playing field is level is total nonsense.
    Yes thats true, I realised that after I posted, but some people take risks and take advantage of the opportunities and try and work their way up.

You will find examples of people starting from the most difficult starts in life and acheiving great things, be it wealth fame or whatever they want and the quite the reverse.

No, I got my full Civil Service pension for February and March, but it dropped by about £95 from April. I don't get any sort of breakdown of my Civil Service pension on a monthly basis, so don't know for sure what's happening, but I suspect that, whereas I had filed my own tax returns (including 21/22) for the years when I was just receiving the Civil Service pension and the money from the blog patrons, they're now taking tax off me, so, yes, "cut" wasn't the right word to use - assuming that I'm right in my thinking.
    You receive the full state pension into your bank account.
    HRMC add up your state pension and company pension and take tax owing from your company pension.

HRMC add up your state pension and company pension and take tax owing from your company pension.
    One's state pension benefits from the relevant tax allowance first and foremost - and as state pensions tend to be a lower figure than one's tax allowance then one's State Pension 'appears' to be tax-free i.e. it doesn't reach the threshold of the tax allowance. One's occupational pension will then benefit from the 'unspent' or remainder of the tax allowance e.g. if one's tax allowance is £13.5K and one one's State Pension is £9K, the 'unspent tax allowance' (i.e. the difference in the two figures) of £4.5K is applied as the tax allowance for the Occ Pen.

Thanks, I’ll still need to pay tax on the money I get for the blog, so I assume I’ll be able to find out how much tax I’ve paid for 22/23 when I log onto Government Gateway next May?

Thanks, I’ll still need to pay tax on the money I get for the blog, so I assume I’ll be able to find out how much tax I’ve paid for 22/23 when I log onto Government Gateway next May?
    If Inland Revenue are aware of both your State Pension and Occupational Pension (which seems the case) and that your tax allowance is fully 'spent' between those two incomes then you will need to put aside 20% of the income you receive from the blog (assuming the latter doesn't bump up your annual income to £50K!).

If Inland Revenue are aware of both your State Pension and Occupational Pension (which seems the case) and that your tax allowance is fully 'spent' between those two incomes then you will need to put aside 20% of the income you receive from the blog (assuming the latter doesn't bump up your annual income to £50K!).
    Cheers TBG, that’s what I thought - no, forget Gareth Bale, Rubin Colwill will be long, long retired before my total blog income reaches 50 grand.

Absolute tosh. My parents bought their house 30 years ago for ~£60k, the same house now is worth ~£400k. Average wages certainly haven’t increased by 700% in that time. Just because a third of their income doesn’t go to a landlord and mine does, isn’t because I’ve made worse financial decisions.