+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: For all us Pensioners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: For all us Pensioners

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, I got my full Civil Service pension for February and March, but it dropped by about £95 from April. I don't get any sort of breakdown of my Civil Service pension on a monthly basis, so don't know for sure what's happening, but I suspect that, whereas I had filed my own tax returns (including 21/22) for the years when I was just receiving the Civil Service pension and the money from the blog patrons, they're now taking tax off me, so, yes, "cut" wasn't the right word to use - assuming that I'm right in my thinking.
    You receive the full state pension into your bank account.
    HRMC add up your state pension and company pension and take tax owing from your company pension.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    HRMC add up your state pension and company pension and take tax owing from your company pension.
    One's state pension benefits from the relevant tax allowance first and foremost - and as state pensions tend to be a lower figure than one's tax allowance then one's State Pension 'appears' to be tax-free i.e. it doesn't reach the threshold of the tax allowance. One's occupational pension will then benefit from the 'unspent' or remainder of the tax allowance e.g. if one's tax allowance is £13.5K and one one's State Pension is £9K, the 'unspent tax allowance' (i.e. the difference in the two figures) of £4.5K is applied as the tax allowance for the Occ Pen.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Thanks, I’ll still need to pay tax on the money I get for the blog, so I assume I’ll be able to find out how much tax I’ve paid for 22/23 when I log onto Government Gateway next May?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks, I’ll still need to pay tax on the money I get for the blog, so I assume I’ll be able to find out how much tax I’ve paid for 22/23 when I log onto Government Gateway next May?
    If Inland Revenue are aware of both your State Pension and Occupational Pension (which seems the case) and that your tax allowance is fully 'spent' between those two incomes then you will need to put aside 20% of the income you receive from the blog (assuming the latter doesn't bump up your annual income to £50K!).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If Inland Revenue are aware of both your State Pension and Occupational Pension (which seems the case) and that your tax allowance is fully 'spent' between those two incomes then you will need to put aside 20% of the income you receive from the blog (assuming the latter doesn't bump up your annual income to £50K!).
    Cheers TBG, that’s what I thought - no, forget Gareth Bale, Rubin Colwill will be long, long retired before my total blog income reaches 50 grand.