+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Senedd Changes Referendum Good Idea

Senedd Changes Referendum Good Idea

https://www.thenational.wales/news/2...es-referendum/

The Welsh Government should “seek the approval of its voters” by holding a referendum before expanding the size of the Senedd, the UK Government Wales Secretary has said.

At Wales Questions, Conservative MP for Devizes Danny Kruger said: “The Welsh Government has decided it wants to increase the size of the Senedd, however there are real concerns that this will lead to a lack of proportionality in representation.

Me thinks any spare dosh is better spent on public services?

Re: Senedd Changes Referendum Good Idea

I take it, that without punctuation, the “GOOD IDEA”, at the end of your sentence is a question and not an approval .

No it’s not a good idea to have 36 more people on the wage bill of a country of this size.

How much would a referendum cost?

It would probably pay for the wages of the extra staff for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

The Welsh Government should “seek the approval of its voters” by holding a referendum before expanding the size of the Senedd, the UK Government Wales Secretary has said.

At Wales Questions, Conservative MP for Devizes Danny Kruger said: “The Welsh Government has decided it wants to increase the size of the Senedd, however there are real concerns that this will lead to a lack of proportionality in representation.

It's really unclear from this post as to who is being 'quoted' at the end. Did Danny Kruger say 'Me thinks any spare dosh is better spent on public services?'

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Why was the MP for Devizes even taking part in the debate?
    Or will Wales Annexe the South West of England as part of these changes - in which case I'm all for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why was the MP for Devizes even taking part in the debate?
    Or will Wales Annexe the South West of England as part of these changes - in which case I'm all for them.
    I couldn't fathom that either. I just put it down to the bleeding affect of some parallel universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's really unclear from this post as to who is being 'quoted' at the end. Did Danny Kruger say 'Me thinks any spare dosh is better spent on public services?'
    It's one of LoM's trademarks: a statement with a question mark at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's one of LoM's trademarks: a statement with a question mark at the end.
    Me thinks is very Shakespearean though.

The Senedd has a third less ministers than the N.I assembly who are hardly ever in session, it clearly needs expanding. Especially with the 20% drop in Welsh MPs that will surely offset this? (or do Welsh taxpayers pay the same regardless whether there is 40 or 32 MPs?)

I don't remember the Tories calling for a referendum whether there should be a reduction in Welsh MPs?

There is a significantly more power in the Senedd than when it was created 20+ years ago and more members benefit how decisions are made and increase their scrutiny. I can understand this is always going to be a hard sell during current times but the Welsh Government can hardly be blamed for the wider world economic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    The Senedd has a third less ministers than the N.I assembly who are hardly ever in session, it clearly needs expanding. Especially with the 20% drop in Welsh MPs that will surely offset this? (or do Welsh taxpayers pay the same regardless whether there is 40 or 32 MPs?)

I don't remember the Tories calling for a referendum whether there should be a reduction in Welsh MPs?

There is a significantly more power in the Senedd than when it was created 20+ years ago and more members benefit how decisions are made and increase their scrutiny. I can understand this is always going to be a hard sell during current times but the Welsh Government can hardly be blamed for the wider world economic issues.
    Well said!