+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Virgin Media price increase

Virgin Media price increase

We've just received written notification from Virgin that our monthly subscription for TV, Phone and Broadband will be increased from £34 per month to £74 per month ! Has anybody on here successfully negotiated a lesser price with Virgin or simply bit the bullet and paid up ?

First Team

Re: Virgin Media price increase

Pretty sure the general advice on here is ring up and cancel.

Then watch them back track , in increments, until you are only a few quid away from the original subscription.

Alternatively, cancel and wait on a call, just before the cooling off periods ends,as you have suddenly become a valued customer and we are cancelling the increase to keep you in the fold.

I assume this is because your contract is coming to end? such a big jump in price is usually because the fixed term deal has ended and you will be moved on to a rolling month to month (significantly more expensive)

If this is the case, you can call up and negotiate a new fixed deal.
    If you were happy with your previous deal, I usually just try to get them to match it, say i just want what I was on before. and threaten to leave if not.

Sometimes they call your bluff. I am usually more than happy to move to rivals and have switched between BT / Sky / Virgin in the last 10 years.

Check out the best introductory deals on each of their websites and use it as leverage against Virgin. Say I can get this with deal with BT can you match it or come close to it?

To all of you who've replied thanks for taking the time to give me such sound advice. I will now start looking around for better deals and hopefully use that information to negotiate a better deal with Virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Pretty sure the general advice on here is ring up and cancel.
    To be fair to virgin media, that was the advice they gave me. Put in a call a week or so before your contract finishes and just tell us what you plan to switch to and we will generally match. I went from £92 to £30.

Talk Talk

Echoing what was said above. Basically get prices from Sky, BT etc, tell Virgin you're leaving and to where, and they'll likely match the price. It may be worth getting prices for broadband separately as well, from ISPs, to try and get an even lower price.

I imagine they'll all be losing a lot of customers soon (or already have) due to cost of living rises, so will be keen to negotiate/discount to keep your money.

when you do call them and get a new fixed deal, make sure you keep a eye on your bill's

I did it, thought great, got the package we had for £50 a month, happy with that, had it at a introduction price for 2 years at 50 quid, cancelled and got it again for 50 quid

happened check my bank statement one day for something, I was getting charged 80 quid and had for 3 months, phoned them up and the lady up in Scotland said its a common " trick ' from the Asian call centre, agree with a price and put through a bigger price, as they look better with a higher price / sometimes get commission on it

Mine went up from 50 to 72.Rang them up they dropped it back to 50 for 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Mine went up from 50 to 72.Rang them up they dropped it back to 50 for 18 months
    Thanks for that. As recommended by a few earlier posters I have just got a few prices from other suppliers and they are a lot cheaper than Virgin. I'll call them tomorrow and fingers crossed they'll let me keep my existing price or somewhere near it.

2 years ago I left virgin media and got cheap broadband and vpntv. Best thing I ever done. All the TV, Films and Boxsets at a fraction of the price and all in the same place

I rang up last week and just told them straight that i would like to be treated the same as a new customer as if i moved next door I would get a better deal. If not I will give you my notice and leave as there is no loyalty. This was with the cancellation department (customer retention0, Fair play they gave me the deal and it is 18 months and I said that is great as it falls inline with finishing just before xmas 2024 and even better deals then. As you can get the black friday deals that is what the lady told me. I was polite with them.
    Good luck and do not be afraid to pull away either I mentioned money is tight and they did acknowledge this so I expect they are also knowing they need to keep customers.

Personally i'm not into this 350 channels of shite for 50 to 70 quid. Happy with a simple broadband 1 terrabyte 15 quid

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post
    I rang up last week and just told them straight that i would like to be treated the same as a new customer as if i moved next door I would get a better deal. If not I will give you my notice and leave as there is no loyalty. This was with the cancellation department (customer retention0, Fair play they gave me the deal and it is 18 months and I said that is great as it falls inline with finishing just before xmas 2024 and even better deals then. As you can get the black friday deals that is what the lady told me. I was polite with them.
    Good luck and do not be afraid to pull away either I mentioned money is tight and they did acknowledge this so I expect they are also knowing they need to keep customers.
    Cheers, I'll be ringing them tomorrow. Fingers crossed !

I renegotiated with them recently, 600mb broadband, SIM card, all TV channels, extra TV box and Netflix thrown in for about 70 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    To all of you who've replied thanks for taking the time to give me such sound advice. I will now start looking around for better deals and hopefully use that information to negotiate a better deal with Virgin.
    Sky offering a free 43 inch tv with sky glass at mo, if you need a free TV also….

"Just ring them" good luck. Been on hold for 1 hour 15 mins so far, they aint daft

I would look around for deals from Sky, BT etc ready for when you call them as they usually know what’s available elsewhere. Say because of costs your going to use free view and threaten to cancel, if they still don’t offer you anything suitable then cancel, you have 30 days to change your mind and I’d bet they come back with a better offer after you cancel.

My sky is only cheap but managed to get £7 off and sky movies and box sets thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I would look around for deals from Sky, BT etc ready for when you call them as they usually know what’s available elsewhere. Say because of costs your going to use free view and threaten to cancel, if they still don’t offer you anything suitable then cancel, you have 30 days to change your mind and I’d bet they come back with a better offer after you cancel.

My sky is only cheap but managed to get £7 off and sky movies and box sets thrown in.
    I just phoned Virgin and got a result ! They were asking for over double what we're currently paying (£34 to £74 per month) but I managed to negotiate an increase of just £2 per month, which is fair.

Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to offer such good advice 👍

I negotiate mine every 18 months ... Due to ring them I will ask to strip back to just Broadband and Basic channels..

Thier Broadband is good ..

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I just phoned Virgin and got a result ! They were asking for over double what we're currently paying (£34 to £74 per month) but I managed to negotiate an increase of just £2 per month, which is fair.

Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to offer such good advice ��
    I always think as long as your happy with what your paying then it’s a result. There will always be someone with a better deal.

Good news.

mines going up from £33 to £68...

or in fact no its not as im leaving, i should have taken up bt fibre for £29.99 when they knocked on my door the other day, before that i saw the bt vans in the street and they seem to be hooking everyone up and i thought sod that im good with what i have
    just so happen that i didnt get on like a house on fire with the pushy rep who knocked the door so they had my back up from the off

but since looking at this thread and my bill im off... unless of course they offer me some incentive when i call

Too many channels to choose. I just haven’t the time to watch the Dr Pimple Popper nowadays.