+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What? Nothing on Andy Rinomhota

What? Nothing on Andy Rinomhota

Heading for Cardiff apparently. Big loss for us.

Re: What? Nothing on Andy Rinomhota

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Its on 2 other threads.

Excuse my ignorance, is he any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Rinomhota

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    It’s a fair question. He was part of a badly underachieving midfield with John Swift and Josh Laurent last season. Our midfield was constantly bypassed by opposition teams. I think that was down to how badly we were set up by Paunovic.

What you will get with Rinomhota is an energetic, hard running player good at breaking up play and winning his share of tackles. What you won’t get is a midfielder spraying the ball around the pitch. He knows his limitations and keeps it simple. He was PoTS a couple of years ago.

Personally I would have liked him to stay. You are getting a solid, no frills midfielder who won’t let you down.

It’s a fair question. He was part of a badly underachieving midfield with John Swift and Josh Laurent last season. Our midfield was constantly bypassed by opposition teams. I think that was down to how badly we were set up by Paunovic.

What you will get with Rinomhota is an energetic, hard running player good at breaking up play and winning his share of tackles. What you won’t get is a midfielder spraying the ball around the pitch. He knows his limitations and keeps it simple. He was PoTS a couple of years ago.

Personally I would have liked him to stay. You are getting a solid, no frills midfielder who won’t let you down.
    Any specific reason for him only starting 19 Championship games last season? Was it injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Any specific reason for him only starting 19 Championship games last season? Was it injuries?
    Yep. He was out for a number of months along with so many of the squad. Nearly always a starter when fit over the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Another midfielder who doesn’t get goals along with Wintle and Adams.

I can’t say too much because I’ve not seen a great deal of either player, but your description of Rinomhota sounds pretty similar to what was said about our other new central midfielder, Ebou Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Another midfielder who doesn’t get goals along with Wintle and Adams.
    I think from what we've seen from Morison's sides so far is he wants his fullbacks or wingbacks to push forward and having (at least) a double pivot in central midfield of sitting midfielders . whether it's 4-2-3-1, 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-1-1 etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think from what we've seen from Morison's sides so far is he wants his fullbacks or wingbacks to push forward and having (at least) a double pivot in central midfield of sitting midfielders . whether it's 4-2-3-1, 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-1-1 etc
    Ok, I’ll rephrase, another midfielder who isn’t great technically by the sounds of it. Energy over ability. Yet some would have you believe we are going to be popping the ball around like Peps Barcelona when Morison is able to build his own squad and change our style.

Nothing of any substance done to address our severe lack of creativity so far.

which is roughly what my daughters BF ( a reading ST holder ) has just told me about him, he said a few years ago he was tipped to be a top 1/2 table prem league player, last season didnt work out for him, but we have got a very good box to box Midfielder, said he is a very good signing for us and he is gutted to see him leave

Ok, I’ll rephrase, another midfielder who isn’t great technically by the sounds of it. Energy over ability. Yet some would have you believe we are going to be popping the ball around like Peps Barcelona when Morison is able to build his own squad and change our style.

Nothing of any substance done to address our severe lack of creativity so far.
    yeah I would agree with that, it looks like we've focussed on improving the pace and energy throughout the side, I think we are going to be a far more horrible team to play against this season which definitely not a bad thing as so many sides just carved straight through us last season.
    I wonder if we are going to focus on an aggressive high press, as if that is successful you don't need as much creativity to score as the chances are against less organized defences. the likes of Colwill, Harris and Davies have all shown they can finish chances when the defence is stretched.

that said I do hope the next couple of signings will add a bit more goal threat.

yeah I would agree with that, it looks like we've focussed on improving the pace and energy throughout the side, I think we are going to be a far more horrible team to play against this season which definitely not a bad thing as so many sides just carved straight through us last season.
    I wonder if we are going to focus on an aggressive high press, as if that is successful you don't need as much creativity to score as the chances are against less organized defences. the likes of Colwill, Harris and Davies have all shown they can finish chances when the defence is stretched.

that said I do hope the next couple of signings will add a bit more goal threat.
    Well, if that is the case, let’s hope the coaching team have learned how to set the team up to press because the effort to high press Swansea was quite frankly one of the worst examples of pressing I have ever seen. I was in the new stand and had a great view of positions and it was shocking. It’s one thing saying we want to play a pressing game, or a passing game but you have to have the ability to coach it. Ironically, our 2 months of good results seemd to come when we want back to direct football. Either side of that 2 month period we weren’t great.

Personally I’ve had an absolute **** full of Cardiff City being set up as a team that is more effective without the ball than it is with it so I hope you are wrong. However, I won’t hold my breath waiting for any genuine quality / creativity to be signed. Double pivot is fine if you are playing with a 10 and creative players in front of you but based on last season Morison was reluctant to play a 10 and didn’t seem to know how to get the best out of Colwill.

We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    which is roughly what my daughters BF ( a reading ST holder ) has just told me about him, he said a few years ago he was tipped to be a top 1/2 table prem league player, last season didnt work out for him, but we have got a very good box to box Midfielder, said he is a very good signing for us and he is gutted to see him leave
    Both my son and I are STH’s and we both wanted him to stay. I think he is a good signing for you. The vast majority of Reading fans would have wanted him to stay.

Well, if that is the case, let’s hope the coaching team have learned how to set the team up to press because the effort to high press Swansea was quite frankly one of the worst examples of pressing I have ever seen. I was in the new stand and had a great view of positions and it was shocking. It’s one thing saying we want to play a pressing game, or a passing game but you have to have the ability to coach it. Ironically, our 2 months of good results seemd to come when we want back to direct football. Either side of that 2 month period we weren’t great.

Personally I’ve had an absolute **** full of Cardiff City being set up as a team that is more effective without the ball than it is with it so I hope you are wrong. However, I won’t hold my breath waiting for any genuine quality / creativity to be signed. Double pivot is fine if you are playing with a 10 and creative players in front of you but based on last season Morison was reluctant to play a 10 and didn’t seem to know how to get the best out of Colwill.

We shall see.
    I think we wanted to play with a 10 but we were far too weak in the middle without the additional man there. Now we have some more mobile players it might release the shackles on someone like Colwill.
    I guess we will see for ourselves soon enough though

Any good songs for the lad?

Colwill looks like he could be a natural ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Any good songs for the lad?
    Ooh oooh oooh Andy Rinomhota to the sound of “Come on and do the conga”
    It doesn’t get any better than that I’m afraid.

I think we wanted to play with a 10 but we were far too weak in the middle without the additional man there. Now we have some more mobile players it might release the shackles on someone like Colwill.
    I guess we will see for ourselves soon enough though
    If we were that weak in the middle why have we offered Ralls a new contract plus Wintle was regarded to have been a success on his return from Blackpool. He’s also one of the few players we have who are comfortable in the ball.

But, yes, it’s all guesswork at the moment. Maybe Bale will save end up saving Morison like he did Coleman.

At Reading we pronounce the surname as Rino motor and not as some commentators say Rino motta.

How would someone like Peter Whittingham have been utilised in a Steve Morison side?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How would someone like Peter Whittingham have been utilised in a Steve Morison side?
    Beats me.

Maybe a steve morison side would be set up completely differently if we had a player like Whitts

Beats me.

Maybe a steve morison side would be set up completely differently if we had a player like Whitts
    Yes. I have no idea why the question went through my head, but I couldn't see a role for Whitts in the sort of system Morison was employing.

Sounds exactly like Ebou Adams