+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff taxi fares set to rise after vote

Cardiff taxi fares set to rise after vote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61927731

Taxi fares are set to rise in Cardiff after a proposal from drivers was approved by councillors.

Re: Cardiff taxi fares set to rise after vote

£3.50 just to get in the car.

An increase of one third is outrageous really, and how can the council possibly point elsewhere and site a cost of living issue when they overlook an insrease of upto 32%!? The city is becoming more and more a place for the wealthy.

The other more serious side to it, is you risk an increase in people choosing to walk late at night, or going 'as far as a tenner' and walking the rest, which could be risky for some.

They pluck numbers out of thin air most times I get one anyway (at night after a drink). Will just push more people towards Uber.

Taxi from the rank by the Naipier on a Friday Saturday night to Barry will cost you anything from £30 to £40. ( plucked out of the air as the previous poster mentioned.)
    Uber around £15 to £18. Robbing barstards. They'll just price themselves out of the market.
    And to be clear I'm not talking about all taxi drivers. You know the ones...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    An increase of one third is outrageous really, and how can the council possibly point elsewhere and site a cost of living issue when they overlook an insrease of upto 32%!? The city is becoming more and more a place for the wealthy.

The other more serious side to it, is you risk an increase in people choosing to walk late at night, or going 'as far as a tenner' and walking the rest, which could be risky for some.
    Fuel prices have doubled in 2 years, drivers cost of living is rising, as is everyone's. Should taxi drivers shoulder all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Fuel prices have doubled in 2 years, drivers cost of living is rising, as is everyone's. Should taxi drivers shoulder all of that?
    Of course not, but jumping by a third is a huge hike, and as discussed may lose them business and it just makes a night out in the city more and more expensive for people

Of course not, but jumping by a third is a huge hike, and as discussed may lose them business and it just makes a night out in the city more and more expensive for people
    So if fuel has doubled in 2 years, a jump of a third surely means they're still earning less than 2 years ago, especially adding into the equation inflation.

Inflation is also going to make people less inclined to have a night out in the city anyway, unless they can afford it, then a modest taxi rise is the least of their worries.

Taxi back to Caerphilly should be £20-£25

Off the meter (only ones that will take you) you’re talking £45-50+

But go to most cities and there’s a nightbus 24 hours a day

The soon ‘those’ taxi drivers go the better

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Taxi back to Caerphilly should be £20-£25

Off the meter (only ones that will take you) you’re talking £45-50+

But go to most cities and there’s a nightbus 24 hours a day

The soon ‘those’ taxi drivers go the better
    what cities do nightbus 24 hours a day W99 ? didn't see any of those when i was in the midlands

So if fuel has doubled in 2 years, a jump of a third surely means they're still earning less than 2 years ago, especially adding into the equation inflation.

Inflation is also going to make people less inclined to have a night out in the city anyway, unless they can afford it, then a modest taxi rise is the least of their worries.
    It's not a modest rise - it's up by a third. And permanent. You can't complain about the rising cost of living and then be the rising cost of living as well. That's how it never ends.

I'll just download uber or walk more I guess. Taxi's have always been good value in Cardiff but not in future it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    what cities do nightbus 24 hours a day W99 ? didn't see any of those when i was in the midlands
    Cardiff did for a while around 2005ish

It's not a modest rise - it's up by a third. And permanent. You can't complain about the rising cost of living and then be the rising cost of living as well. That's how it never ends.
    Yet another reply from you leads to me headbutting another hole in the partition wall.

So what should people do? Moan and struggle? You really don't give a shit about working class people, do you? Full of hypocrisy.

Birmingham for one

Yet another reply from you leads to me headbutting another hole in the partition wall.

So what should people do? Moan and struggle? You really don't give a shit about working class people, do you? Full of hypocrisy.
    God you are smug. You just supported adding a third to every working class persons taxi mate. Get off your high horse. You seem to take this in your stride, so there is every chance I have less disposable income than you. It's a huge increase. You only support it cos of the party doing it! The result will probably be a rise in uber use or people using less taxis generally.

Presumably you understand that if train fares jumped
    by 33% less people may use them - may be the same here.

God you are smug. You just supported adding a third to every working class persons taxi mate.
    You've just said that taxi drivers shouldn't shoulder fuel and general inflation. What is it to be then?

Birmingham for one
    wow didn't see that and i stayed there for a number of years mainly in the south Kings Norton area for a while and the north of the city Aston Villa land Erdington !

You've just said that taxi drivers shouldn't shoulder fuel and general inflation. What is it to be then?
    Perhaps something less than upto a 33% rise? Perhaps a temporary rise due to the temporary spike in inflation? Perhaps there are other ideas someone can have, that means that just because they don't support whacking up fares, it doesn't mean they 'dont give a shit about working class people'.

What is irritating is how you are the self appointed guardian of the working classes and anyone who doesn't support charging everyone a third more somehow hates them. Get a hold of yourself!

Loads of working class people rely on taxis too - those who cannot afford or are too old or ill to run a car etc etc. Massively increasing the fares hits them too ya know.

When it comes to taxis at night

If a group of people go on the lash into Cardiff, finish the night by getting a curry and expect someone to get them home safely at 3 am and it costs say 12 quid between em then if they are going to moan at a price rise whilst getting pissed on water with alcohol in it

Then feck off and stay at home

wow didn't see that and i stayed there for a number of years mainly in the south Kings Norton area for a while and the north of the city Aston Villa land Erdington !
    Not every service and every place but we did get a few night buses up at Birmingham a few years ago I remember taking it like 1am

It was reason why our relative lived where he lived (Kitts Green if I recall) so he could get home whatever time he needed

Doesn’t need to be frequent just reliable and reasonable.

does Cardiff have Uber ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    When it comes to taxis at night

If a group of people go on the lash into Cardiff, finish the night by getting a curry and expect someone to get them home safely at 3 am and it costs say 12 quid between em then if they are going to moan at a price rise whilst getting pissed on water with alcohol in it

Then feck off and stay at home
    And what about the poorer old lady who gets a taxi to her friends house for tea or to the hospital or to the coffee shop?

Not every service and every place but we did get a few night buses up at Birmingham a few years ago I remember taking it like 1am

It was reason why our relative lived where he lived (Kitts Green if I recall) so he could get home whatever time he needed

Doesn’t need to be frequent just reliable and reasonable.
    fair enough remember having a few good nights out in Marston green which is not too far from Kitts Green . oh the memories !

And what about the poorer old lady who gets a taxi to her friends house for tea or to the hospital or to the coffee shop?
    The poor old lady who goes into Cardiff on a night out ?

Their costs have risen by more than a third.