+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardiff taxi fares set to rise after vote

Re: Cardiff taxi fares set to rise after vote

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    And what about the poorer old lady who gets a taxi to her friends house for tea or to the hospital or to the coffee shop?
    Should Taxi drivers shoulder the burden for the cost of living increase to others?

This is divide and rule again

Taxi Drivers are mostly working class people

In the case of Cardiff at night they are picking up people who have often had a few on board

Some of whom play up

Call it danger money

Of course screwing the last penny out of a disabled pensioner is a different thing altogether but that's not the point really

I completely get this. They don't really have a choice, costs have gone up so much for them what else can they do?

My annoyance with Taxis is if they are a licenced Hackney carriage in the city of Cardiff and you get in and are travelling in the city boundaries they must take you and put the meter on, they can't demand money up front they can't pluck a figure out of the air and they can't refuse to take you (if its a short journey).
    My father was a licensed Hackney driver in the city of Cardiff I know the rules.
    If they stray from these rules take their number and report them.

And what about the poorer old lady who gets a taxi to her friends house for tea or to the hospital or to the coffee shop?
    Are you all for taxi drivers doing favours instead of earning?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    This is divide and rule again

Taxi Drivers are mostly working class people

In the case of Cardiff at night they are picking up people who have often had a few on board

Some of whom play up

Call it danger money

Of course screwing the last penny out of a disabled pensioner is a different thing altogether but that's not the point really
    Plus they work often really unsociable hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Plus they work often really unsociable hours.
    Bunch of solicitors , architects and that type go to a rugby dinner black tie bollocks at 100 quid a ticket

Get pissed

Taxi home to Penarth

Complain about the fare when they are on 100 k a year and the poor bastard taking them home and listening to their drunken nonsense lives in a flat in pentrebane

Well, we shall see what happens won't we, but hiking fares by up to one third in one go, is a pretty steep rise for customers who are suffering under high inflation as it is. It's a good example of how you end up combating inflation by becoming inflation

As mentioned in this article, Cardiff will go from 161st to 10th most expensive local authority in the UK for people to use taxis. There is then the risk of drivers from elsewhere using Cardiff and of course uber.

I think a rise of upto a third is pretty steep, but like I said, we shall see..

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rdiff-24315580

Yes uber has been here for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Yes uber has been here for a few years now.
    Since Uber lost the Supreme Court case in '21 there are hardly any drivers around now. I use cabs regularly in Cardiff as I haven't driven for over ten years now and at one point before the pandemic would use a cab 2 or 3 times a day. Getting cabs from Cardiff Central when arriving back on late trains (23:00) is a nightmare though. There aren't enough doing midweek late nights anymore. They're a life-saver for me and I support their fares increase, always tip and have hardly ever had a bad experience. In fact, quite the opposite, I've got to know some great cabbies in Cardiff over the years including a few Season Ticket holders too!

Well, we shall see what happens won't we, but hiking fares by up to one third in one go, is a pretty steep rise for customers who are suffering under high inflation as it is.
    And taxi drivers aren't suffering under high inflation?

Maybe the tories should sort their infighting out, spend less time throwing out red meat to racists, and more time trying to sort out the cost of living crisis and massive inflation, without expecting everyone who isn't a shareholder, c-level or tory donor to just suck it up!

Wil folk actually be able afford nights out??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wil folk actually be able afford nights out??
    The way its going, no. With fuel bills going up by a possible 50% in a couple of months, a litre of petrol/diesel going up a few pence per week(sometimes more), supermarket prices seemingly going up on every visit, its not leaving a lot for social events. Linking it back to football, I can see very low crowds happening after the world cup when the season starts back up, even a lot of season ticket holders could be pushed to find money for travel to home games.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Fuel prices have doubled in 2 years, drivers cost of living is rising, as is everyone's. Should taxi drivers shoulder all of that?
    Underlying fuel prices haven't doubled in 2 years.

But how far will they be going? Their pensions have just gone up 10%, now they'll be paying probanly only another £1.50 on their taxi. I can't see why they are going to suffer

Good on them. Everyone deserves a fair whack for a day's work.

Well done to the taxi drivers of cardiff. It's about time more people fought for decent wages. If you don't get them, then get out on the f*cking lines and demand them!!!

Fuel is going up every week, it’s easily up a third from a year / 18 months ago
    I guess they are just making the mistake of upping fares in one go rather than incrementally
    Doing it, over the last few months particularly.
    If fuel is so expensive wtf else are they meant to do??

There’s a lot of anger on this thread regarding inflated fares and cabbie’s ripping off the public
    Let me explain.
    Firstly I was a licensed Hackney (black & white) and private hire driver in Cardiff finishing in 2005.
    To become a badged taxi driver took back then approximately six months- the longest process was learning and passing the knowledge test.
    It is the only job I know of where you have to PAY TO WORK!!
    Vehicle rental was £200 per week
    A radio from one of the main taxi firms was £80 per week and trust me you needed the extra work
    Fuel was on average £30 a day

So before you earn a penny for yourself you must take £500 a week

In order to earn £250 I was working seven days a week and doing 80-100 hours behind the wheel

The only time that you were able to earn inflated fares was on a Friday and Saturday night between 11 pm and 2am.
    Still you can only do one fare at a time so being selective was key.
    Black and white you could stop anywhere which wasn’t a problem
    Private Hire you would need to turn off your radio and “ Go Flimping” which was illegal- picking up fares that haven’t pre booked.
    The answer to getting home is to book your taxi in advance
    So before moaning please take into consideration the thankless job this really is 😩

These fares have been agreed in principle only by the council after an application made by the trade.

There is now a punlic consultation where anybody who wishes to object to the rises can do so not rubber stamped yet - unless the council have followed incorrect procedure?

Thankfully we wont need to use cars/taxis after the integrated transport system is embedded , we will though have to overcome the snobbery in some using public transport in Wales though ,unlike other bigger cities who embrace it as a necessity and it creates jobs and bolsters city centre commerce / business /hospitality/jobs ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    There’s a lot of anger on this thread regarding inflated fares and cabbie’s ripping off the public
    Let me explain.
    Firstly I was a licensed Hackney (black & white) and private hire driver in Cardiff finishing in 2005.
    To become a badged taxi driver took back then approximately six months- the longest process was learning and passing the knowledge test.
    It is the only job I know of where you have to PAY TO WORK!!
    Vehicle rental was £200 per week
    A radio from one of the main taxi firms was £80 per week and trust me you needed the extra work
    Fuel was on average £30 a day

So before you earn a penny for yourself you must take £500 a week

In order to earn £250 I was working seven days a week and doing 80-100 hours behind the wheel

The only time that you were able to earn inflated fares was on a Friday and Saturday night between 11 pm and 2am.
    Still you can only do one fare at a time so being selective was key.
    Black and white you could stop anywhere which wasn’t a problem
    Private Hire you would need to turn off your radio and “ Go Flimping” which was illegal- picking up fares that haven’t pre booked.
    The answer to getting home is to book your taxi in advance
    So before moaning please take into consideration the thankless job this really is ��