+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

Re: Roe v Wade

A very regrettable decision. States rights v Federal rights is one of the ongoing battlegrounds in US politics throughout history and you feel like half of the debate is about that - the states rights to set their own policy on it, which I assume is what will happen now.

One outcome is probably that the divisions in the US will exacerbate, as this is such an iconic issue that over a few years, people will gravitate to or from states as a result. Demographic change probably plays a part too.

A sad day that will change many lives. I see instantly that some states have banned it - presumably they had that lined up legally if Roe v Wade was ever overtuned?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...oe-v-wade.html

Banning abortion doesn't stop abortion it just stops SAFE abortion

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There are so many good people in America but its led by idiots and the bible
    The "good people" elect the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    The "good people" elect the idiots.
    What do you mean by that?

An appalling decision - and an anti-democratic one as abortion rights are widely supported apart from by a minority of right wing religious nut jobs. I live in a country where abortions are illegal and yet the abortion rate is sky high with lots of related health issues with women dying due to abortion complications.

We all know the Republicans are hypocrites and nuts, however, the actions of the democrats (to allow this to happen) is unforgivable:

Obama promised to embed Roe v Wade into federal law in 2007, but when he became President he de-prioritised it.

Obama then succumbed to the republicans when Justice Antonin Scalia died. He should have ploughed on and picked a new Judge but instead was bullied to putting off the pick so close to an election (a favour that the republicans didn't return.. of course).

Ruth Bader Ginsburg knew she had cancer and yet didn't step down when Obama could have had a Supreme Court Justice pick.

With another Supreme court judge stepping down that gave Trump THREE Supreme court picks!

Then the hearings... the democrats didn't push for a full investigation into Amy Coney Barrett's cult membership which is shrouded in child abuse allegation (the cult leaders she lived with) OR in fact her adoptive children (from Haiti) that she 'trafficked' to adopt. And of course their weak cross examining of Brett Kavanaugh who had been credibly been accused of sexual assault.

All republican supreme court justices picked since 2006 LIED about their intentions of Roe v Wade.

Centralist democrats are weak and useless and when Nancy Pelosi cries on TV saying it's a "travesty" - i feel sick, because we all saw this coming and the democrats have been so weak they did nothing about it.

The supreme court have already said they are going after marriage equality, lgbt rights and birth control next.

The handmaidens tale has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    An appalling decision - and an anti-democratic one as abortion rights are widely supported apart from by a minority of right wing religious nut jobs. I live in a country where abortions are illegal and yet the abortion rate is sky high with lots of related health issues with women dying due to abortion complications.

We all know the Republicans are hypocrites and nuts, however, the actions of the democrats (to allow this to happen) is unforgivable:

Obama promised to embed Roe v Wade into federal law in 2007, but when he became President he de-prioritised it.

Obama then succumbed to the republicans when Justice Antonin Scalia died. He should have ploughed on and picked a new Judge but instead was bullied to putting off the pick so close to an election (a favour that the republicans didn't return.. of course).

Ruth Bader Ginsburg knew she had cancer and yet didn't step down when Obama could have had a Supreme Court Justice pick.

With another Supreme court judge stepping down that gave Trump THREE Supreme court picks!

Then the hearings... the democrats didn't push for a full investigation into Amy Coney Barrett's cult membership which is shrouded in child abuse allegation (the cult leaders she lived with) OR in fact her adoptive children (from Haiti) that she 'trafficked' to adopt. And of course their weak cross examining of Brett Kavanaugh who had been credibly been accused of sexual assault.

All republican supreme court justices picked since 2006 LIED about their intentions of Roe v Wade.

Centralist democrats are weak and useless and when Nancy Pelosi cries on TV saying it's a "travesty" - i feel sick, because we all saw this coming and the democrats have been so weak they did nothing about it.

The supreme court have already said they are going after marriage equality, lgbt rights and birth control next.

Brilliant post. Really interesting. Particularly liked 'Centralist Democrats are weak' comment too. Absolutely agree with this. It's what worries me about the UK too.

I'm not sure what your feelings are about the possibility of the USA descending into such a divisive and extreme set of states (politics and religion) that a second civil war could occur. What with the right to bear arms, what could possibly go wrong? We've seen the madness of Capital Hill. It's a scary country looking in from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It’s crazy from the outside looking in
    Like the Trump states of America….such a divided country

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Like the Trump states of America….such a divided country
    And how many abortions has that slimy POS paid for I wonder?

And here we have it a Tory Peer agreeing with the decision. “ A great victory for US democracy. “
    https://twitter.com/danielmgmoylan/s...TCfR_S4CbslGxw

Don’t for one minute think this couldn’t happen over here.

They sing about the States being the Land of the Free.
    Time to change the lyrics I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    That the people of the US may be good, but they still elect idiots.

Plus Scott Benton Tory MPs retweet before deleting quickly https://twitter.com/miffythegamer/st...SufBC2tJcdUSQQ

Now this guy is gay, and guess who they are coming for next.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    That's probably the crux here. I really don't know where I stand on abortion, especially later term but this ruling just ignores reality (like much of us politics)

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Plus Scott Benton Tory MPs retweet before deleting quickly https://twitter.com/miffythegamer/st...SufBC2tJcdUSQQ

Now this guy is gay, and guess who they are coming for next.
    A turkey voting for Xmas

I am amazed a homosexual can side with the conservatives , never mind be an mp , given their attitude towards gay people over the years

The democrats are usually weak in the face of republican tactics, but I think this is unfair. Could Obama have 'ploughed on'? How? McConnell blocked it because he could and made sure he got his appointments because he could. How did democrats have the numbers to stop those appointments?

There's two parties in the US. One is very clearly to blame for this decision. It doesn't seem right to me to blame the other.

As of 1 January 2022, the population of the world was estimated to be 7,948,118,521. Food shortages to come, climate change, ecological catastrophes on the horizon, wars, and this is what humanity is fiddling with whilst the planet burns.

And here we have it a Tory Peer agreeing with the decision. “ A great victory for US democracy. “

It is the exact opposite of that. It's a victory for the minority. The 50 Democratic members of the senate represent over 40 million more people that their Republican counterparts. 65% of the population were in favor of upholding Roe v Wade. Our ****ed up and outdated system of government has led to minority rule. And our democracy is in danger of slipping away. The Republicans' attempted coup only just failed in the winter of 2020/21, but if they get another chance, they have more people in place to get what they want next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    As of 1 January 2022, the population of the world was estimated to be 7,948,118,521. Food shortages to come, climate change, ecological catastrophes on the horizon, wars, and this is what humanity is fiddling with whilst the planet burns.
    How was it estimated to such an exact figure? Wouldn't "about 8 billion" be more accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The democrats are usually weak in the face of republican tactics, but I think this is unfair. Could Obama have 'ploughed on'? How? McConnell blocked it because he could and made sure he got his appointments because he could. How did democrats have the numbers to stop those appointments?

There's two parties in the US. One is very clearly to blame for this decision. It doesn't seem right to me to blame the other.
    Exactly.

From a fella that spends his time on the red seats of the Lords (well, probably not that much time). Barefaced in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    How was it estimated to such an exact figure? Wouldn't "about 8 billion" be more accurate?
    I have no idea. You're correct though, it would have been better to have said circa 8 billion. Global population is increasing at a ridiculously high rate e.g in 1950 it was circa 2.5 billion. I should have just rounded up when I posted!

Mrs Citizen highlighted this to me a while ago and here's a recent article in The Independent.

Anti-abortion police could criminalise period-tracking app data and search history

Apparently, data protection is going to be a huge issue in the USA and is linked to Healthcare companies (others will know more about this). I don't know the full details but we're heading in a grim direction. We really do need to fight this stuff.

I wonder if Clarence Thomas would vote in favour of a ban on inter racial marriage? that's going to be next if far right Republicans have their way.