+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade

Re: Roe v Wade

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Too bad you didn't weigh in earlier with your certainty. This is the very issue that has been debated in the United States since 1973. You could have saved Americans a lot of trouble. It would help, though, if you could further clarify when the 'foetus' does become a 'baby.' Is it the moment of birth, as contrasted with one second or one minute earlier? Is it the point of "viability?" Is it conception? America has wrestled passionately and sincerely with these profound issues. The Supreme Court has said, essentially, 'We don't know, and will no longer pretend to know. The people can decide for themselves, in their particular states.'
    You prefer Wales Bales' 'facts' and certainties to mine, and approve the Supreme Court decision?

OK - I think that is a very bad and sad place to be - but your choice (although obviously not a woman's choice!)

But help me out by pointing to any dictionary definition of the word baby that includes the foetus state. I have looked and cannot find. I am not talking about whether a foetus would be viable or not - that is a different question. My response to Wales Bales was about his use of the word, and then doubling down with claiming it was 'a fact', and so not open to debate.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You prefer Wales Bales' 'facts' and certainties to mine, and approve the Supreme Court decision?

OK - I think that is a very bad and sad place to be - but your choice (although obviously not a woman's choice!)

But help me out by pointing to any dictionary definition of the word baby that includes the foetus state. I have looked and cannot find. I am not talking about whether a foetus would be viable or not - that is a different question. My response to Wales Bales was about his use of the word, and then doubling down with claiming it was 'a fact', and so not open to debate.
    It's a living organism, whether it's inside or outside of the womb.

Yes, legislation has to pass through both houses. That's the point. That's how small-population Republican states like Wyoming and Nebraska and Iowa and the Dakotas and Missouri and Kansas and Missouri and Alabama and Tennessee and Utah, and even large-population Republican states like Texas and Florida, defend their autonomy from massive-population Democratic states like New York and California.

It's also how small-population Democratic states like Maine and Vermont and Maryland, and even large-population Democratic states like California and New York, will defend their autonomy from the Republican wave that is expected to sweep across America during this November's mid-term election.

The confusion stems from imagining that the United States is a unitary nation. It is not. It is a federation of 50 almost-if-not-quite-completely-sovereign states with their own legislatures, their own laws, their own cultures and their own presidents (governors). The federal government does not like this, of course, and tries to coerce the states any which way it can. The Senate, with its equal representation, makes this impossible, or at least a lot more difficult.

The U.S. Senate is vastly more democratic than the UN Security Council. No state has veto power in the U.S. Senate. If 60 percent of the vote can be gathered, then anything can be passed, and, contingent upon any such legislation surviving constitutional scrutiny in the courts, everyone will have to fall in line no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's a living organism, whether it's inside or outside of the womb.
    So is bacteria. That doesn't make it an unborn child though.

These are difficult and serious issues that deserve to be addressed, as they have been in the United States, without resort to snark. It can all seem ridiculous sometimes when you see contending protesters with their incendiary signs screaming at one another in the streets, but underlying all that are serious philosophical — and biological — questions that have to do with the nature of human life.

Look at that. An actual argument. Good for you.

Of course, bacteria will not become a human being. The fetus will. It is a human being in embryo, which raises the question of whether it deserves protection in the same way that a born child, who is an adult in embryo, is worthy of protection. And so, we return to the vexing question of timing — at what point in the gestational or developmental process do we deem a biologically human entity worthy of protection?

These are not easy questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    So is bacteria. That doesn't make it an unborn child though.
    I think you may be reaching a bit here.

These are difficult and serious issues that deserve to be addressed, as they have been in the United States, without resort to snark. It can all seem ridiculous sometimes when you see contending protesters with their incendiary signs screaming at one another in the streets, but underlying all that are serious philosophical — and biological — questions that have to do with the nature of human life.
    You're elevating human life above all other life with that statement. Nature isn't interested in philosophy. Populations of animals are not governed by anything other than ecological systems and population dynamics i.e. mathematics and the equations of production, consumerism (in the biological sense) and decay. Mess with that (which we do all the time) and nature (the universe) has a way of making sure it balances out again.

Humans really aren't as clever as we think we are. People bang on about life being 'sacred' but they really mean human life, in isolation. We can't survive like that so all this so-called philosophical discussion is pointless anyway.

Of course, bacteria will not become a human being. The fetus will. It is a human being in embryo, which raises the question of whether it deserves protection in the same way that a born child, who is an adult in embryo, is worthy of protection. And so, we return to the vexing question of timing — at what point in the gestational or developmental process do we deem a biologically human entity worthy of protection?

I was arguing against the point that because something is a living organism that it makes it relevant.

Were there not already laws in place to prevent non-essential/emergency (as in: obvious risk to mother or baby) abortions in the second trimester and outright bans beyond that gestational stage?

The "unborn child" will now have more human rights in certain states than the women who will be forced to carry it to term.

Women have abortions for good reasons. They don't just fancy killing a human.

If a woman is pregnated through rape, why should her only choice be to carry the baby for 9 months and deliver it?

I think you may be reaching a bit here.
    Tell me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    You're elevating human life above all other life with that statement. Nature isn't interested in philosophy. Populations of animals are not governed by anything other than ecological systems and population dynamics i.e. mathematics and the equations of production, consumerism (in the biological sense) and decay. Mess with that (which we do all the time) and nature (the universe) has a way of making sure it balances out again.

Humans really aren't as clever as we think we are. People bang on about life being 'sacred' but they really mean human life, in isolation. We can't survive like that so all this so-called philosophical discussion is pointless anyway.
    So would you condone the indiscriminate killing that occurs in the non-human animal kingdom, i.e. legalise murder?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

If a woman is pregnated through rape, why should her only choice be to carry the baby for 9 months and deliver it?
    (Impregnated, sorry. In b4 TBG)

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Tell me more.
    To tell you the truth, I can't be bothered

To tell you the truth, I can't be bothered
    Surprise, surprise

I’m not against abortion, but something that always puzzles me, is we pass a law that allows a human life to be terminated, where the human has obviously no say in the matter, yet we don’t allow a human of sound mind, suffering from excruciating pain and no quality of life, to decide on terminating their own life. ??

Is this fact or opinion, because I know a few girls who just wanted to enjoy life without any consequences.

Is this fact or opinion, because I know a few girls who just wanted to enjoy life without any consequences.
    I don't believe this for a second.

There's no way that you know a few girls

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’m not against abortion, but something that always puzzles me, is we pass a law that allows a human life to be terminated, where the human has obviously no say in the matter, yet we don’t allow a human of sound mind, suffering from excruciating pain and no quality of life, to decide on terminating their own life. ??
    Life is full of complexities, some people will argue for rights in specific circumstances, based on political ideology.

So would you condone the indiscriminate killing that occurs in the non-human animal kingdom, i.e. legalise murder?
    There is no non-human animal kingdom until humans become extinct. I don't remember seeing Meerkats with AK47s on any of Attenborough's programs.

I'm happy to debate but your question doesn't make any sense to me.

I didn't ask to be born in the first place. Not that it would have made any difference because I wouldn't have been sentient at the time.

Anyway, I'm off to deal with this quantum singularity that's been bugging me for a while.

Edit: and a life without consequences sounds awesome. In fact, if I wasn't alive, I wouldn't be in so much f*cking pain. It's kind of a circular argument.

Also all this from a country with no universal healthcare. So a young woman who maybe can't afford medical insurance would now be forced into giving birth, which on average costs between $5000 and $11000 out there if it's a vaginal pregnancy with no complications. If it's a C Section then make it between $7500 and $14000. God help you if the baby's premature, or needs aftercare.

So now this young mother now has a baby, thousands upon thousands of dollar of debt and all the cost involved with raising a child ahead of her. What sort of life is that kid going to have? And all because some dinosaurs who pretend they give a shit about life think they have the right to tell women what to do with their bodies. It's disgusting.

The democrats are usually weak in the face of republican tactics, but I think this is unfair. Could Obama have 'ploughed on'? How? McConnell blocked it because he could and made sure he got his appointments because he could. How did democrats have the numbers to stop those appointments?

There's two parties in the US. One is very clearly to blame for this decision. It doesn't seem right to me to blame the other.
    Obama made an election promise in 2007 that would enshrined Roe v Wade into federal law, thus removing the ability to challenge it as a precedent, which is how the supreme court works.

Obama could have also continued with his pick despite McConnell trying to block it.
    . You can't block a presidents pick, just vote against it at confirmation, and Obama could have likely picked someone whom a few republicans would have voted for, thus confirming the pick.

RBG, she could have stepped down knowing how Ill she was, allowing Obama a pick...

I think the problem is Democrats play nice and adhere to some standards expected in office... republicans don't. So I agree republicans are primarily to blame, the ineffectual approach and foresight of the democrats make it much easier for them.

Just imagine... A woman who seeks an abortion for being pregnant due to rape could be imprisoned for longer than the rapist, that is if he's caught at all...There is a 50.8% chance of an arrest for a reported rape and an 80% chance of prosecution (of the 50% arrested).

Ironically the most vocal anti abortions voices are ultra religious evangelicals who seem to ignore the Bible, Numbers 5, which advocates for forced miscarriages (to be done by priests using poisonous water) if a woman becomes pregnant by another man other than her husband.

Also, twitter is exploding of women speaking out naming ardent pro life republican senators (or their sons) who paid for them, even forced them to have an abortion.

Ivanka Trumps college friends are also calling her out asking why she's so quiet about abortions when she wasn't so quiet when they took her to have an abortion in college.

The hypocrisy is astounding

It's funny how conservative evangelical males are so pro life until they get the wrong woman pregnant