+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Surfing 🏄*♂️...........ever been interested ?

Surfing 🏄*♂️...........ever been interested ?

Not for me

Tried water skiing ⛷

Couldn't even stand up

First Team

Re: Surfing 🏄*♂️...........ever been interested ?

Yes , started off at Llantwit beach and just kept on going for donkeys years.

Probably safe to admit that my main motivation for starting was that the Lifeguards threw the best parties and you got to knock around with scantily clad females all weekend in the summer.

A bit of a struggle to get into a wet suit these days, I would imagine, as ever since riding that last wave a sedentary lifestyle has kicked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Yes , started off at Llantwit beach and just kept on going for donkeys years.

Probably safe to admit that my main motivation for starting was that the Lifeguards threw the best parties and you got to knock around with scantily clad females all weekend in the summer.

A bit of a struggle to get into a wet suit these days, I would imagine, as ever since riding that last wave a sedentary lifestyle has kicked in.
    I used to go fishing there as a kid , those rocky ledges on the left hand side looking out to sea

Good reef for you scruffs out there apparently

Going to try it this summer. A friend kindly bought me a voucher for my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Going to try it this summer. A friend kindly bought me a voucher for my birthday.
    Go for it but it's not for me

Surfing , Windsurfing , Ab Sailing , any of those adventure sports give me chocolate pants

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How you gonna stand on that

Been there, done that, failed dismally! Body boarding different gravy. Surfing hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Not for me

Tried water skiing ⛷

Couldn't even stand up
    Love it

Pre-covid we would get the boards out at easter and camp down in Cornwall or Devon, then spend a few weekends a year down the coast, a few years back, the family spent 5 weeks down on a campsite in Cornwall, I would pop home and do 2 or 3 days work and then get back down, surfing every day really does improve your skills on the board, we are not world champs but can certainly surf now

as a starter cant recommend 7 or 8 ft soft boards enough, something like this ( infact every surfer needs in his / her quiver imho )

https://www.ospreyactionsports.co.uk...surfboard.html

in 3 days you will be standing up and riding them waves

Its not just the surf though, the lifestyle is great, out in the fresh air, BBQ for tea, a few beers, nice cooked breakie to start the day, what's not to love, met some great people, the surf community imho have been great, a few took time to help show my girls the way they should be doing it, then they would come over in the local bar for a chat, I would normally buy them a beer to thank them

as Johnny was told, "Surfing's the source. Can change your life. Swear to god "

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Love it

Pre-covid we would get the boards out at easter and camp down in Cornwall or Devon, then spend a few weekends a year down the coast, a few years back, the family spent 5 weeks down on a campsite in Cornwall, I would pop home and do 2 or 3 days work and then get back down, surfing every day really does improve your skills on the board, we are not world champs but can certainly surf now

as a starter cant recommend 7 or 8 ft soft boards enough, something like this ( infact every surfer needs in his / her quiver imho )

https://www.ospreyactionsports.co.uk...surfboard.html

in 3 days you will be standing up and riding them waves

Its not just the surf though, the lifestyle is great, out in the fresh air, BBQ for tea, a few beers, nice cooked breakie to start the day, what's not to love, met some great people, the surf community imho have been great, a few took time to help show my girls the way they should be doing it, then they would come over in the local bar for a chat, I would normally buy them a beer to thank them

as Johnny was told, "Surfing's the source. Can change your life. Swear to god "
    That's all very romantic sonny but I am afraid of sharks

So let's leave it there

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's all very romantic sonny but I am afraid of sharks

So let's leave it there
    could give it a go at the wave then

https://www.thewave.com

Yeah, it's a great sport..and easier than it looks to get some enjoyment from it. A lot of people will be able to stand for a few seconds on the first day they do it.

It's great at a big beach like Rest Bay where there is less conflict too.

Some great waves at Ogmore by sea close to the rocks

Dangerous

Shits me up

I used to surf down at Llangennith. Long time ago now though.