+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How long can football clubs to exist without crowds?

How long can football clubs to exist without crowds?

We are all aware of the financial difficulties caused in this country by clubs having had to play behind closed doors in the last two seasons but in my efforts to attend a game in the Egyptian Premier League next week I discovered the following:
    Fans of the Egyptian Premier League were barred from attending their teams’ matches since massacres that took place after the match between Al-Ahly SC and Al-Masry SC in Port Said in February 2012, resulting in 74 deaths and over 500 injuries.
    There was an attempt to bring the fans back to the stands in 2015 but the move was dropped after 20 Zamalek fans lost their lives while attempting to enter a stadium.
    Subsequently, Covid came along and it seems that only last October were clubs permitted to have a couple of thousand fans attend games in stadiums that accommodate up to 75,000 fans.
    For my part, an Egyptian gentleman I will be staying with (and a fan of Cairo's Zamalek team) has assisted me in going through the motions of creating a required Fan ID that is necessary to purchase tickets - and it even involved declaring one's blood group! I somehow don't expect to see next Wednesday's game but watching Egyptian Premier League games has been a minority pleasure even in Egypt since 2012, it seems.

Re: How long can football clubs to exist without crowds?

Wow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Said_Stadium_riot

I had never heard of that before. Everyday is a school day

In this country, the clubs don’t need the fans.They survived comfortably during Covid anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    In this country, the clubs don’t need the fans.They survived comfortably during Covid anyway.
    Mushrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We are all aware of the financial difficulties caused in this country by clubs having had to play behind closed doors in the last two seasons but in my efforts to attend a game in the Egyptian Premier League next week I discovered the following:
    Fans of the Egyptian Premier League were barred from attending their teams’ matches since massacres that took place after the match between Al-Ahly SC and Al-Masry SC in Port Said in February 2012, resulting in 74 deaths and over 500 injuries.
    There was an attempt to bring the fans back to the stands in 2015 but the move was dropped after 20 Zamalek fans lost their lives while attempting to enter a stadium.
    Subsequently, Covid came along and it seems that only last October were clubs permitted to have a couple of thousand fans attend games in stadiums that accommodate up to 75,000 fans.
    For my part, an Egyptian gentleman I will be staying with (and a fan of Cairo's Zamalek team) has assisted me in going through the motions of creating a required Fan ID that is necessary to purchase tickets - and it even involved declaring one's blood group! I somehow don't expect to see next Wednesday's game but watching Egyptian Premier League games has been a minority pleasure even in Egypt since 2012, it seems.
    You obviously have to declare your blood group, as it sound as though there’s a very good chance you’re going to need some blood transfusions once the away fans get hold of you old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Really ?

Lots wrong with football . Thankfully they need the fans to make it a proper spectacle.

I've read this post several times now and my jaw still drops every time. I had no idea this sh*t had been going on and it's actually heartbreaking. As Daniel15 said, 'Every day's a schoolday'. CCMB can get a bit crazy sometimes but posts like this are gems. TBG!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I've read this post several times now and my jaw still drops every time. I had no idea this sh*t had been going on and it's actually heartbreaking. As Daniel15 said, 'Every day's a schoolday'. CCMB can get a bit crazy sometimes but posts like this are gems. TBG!
    You are too kind, sir. Before I was aware of the situation a few days ago I had the intention of watching one of the three Egyptian Premier League games being played in Cairo tomorrow and Wednesday evening,one of them being Zamalek. By coincidence, a male gynaecologist who is a Zamalek fan, accepted my request to couchsurf with him on those two nights. My registration for a Egyptian fan ID was initially approved but it's now held up due to my Covid passes needing to be approved.
    I can't see me being able to attend even if my application were to be approved as I understand that only 1,000 home fans are permitted to attend.
    It would be rather devoid of atmosphere too if you see what the stadium looks like:
    1280px-Panorma_Cairo_Stadium.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel15 View Post
    Wow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Said_Stadium_riot

I had never heard of that before. Everyday is a school day
    I knew of the riot and can remember it being reported in the UK media, but I'd have never said it was ten years ago and was unaware that it had such a dramatic effect on Egyptian football since then - I would say I hope TBG is able to attend, but, in this particular instance, I wouldn't really mean it.

You are too kind, sir. Before I was aware of the situation a few days ago I had the intention of watching one of the three Egyptian Premier League games being played in Cairo tomorrow and Wednesday evening,one of them being Zamalek. By coincidence, a male gynaecologist who is a Zamalek fan, accepted my request to couchsurf with him on those two nights. My registration for a Egyptian fan ID was initially approved but it's now held up due to my Covid passes needing to be approved.
    I can't see me being able to attend even if my application were to be approved as I understand that only 1,000 home fans are permitted to attend.
    It would be rather devoid of atmosphere too if you see what the stadium looks like:
    If you're free in the day, maybe you can tag along when your holiday landlord goes to work.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If you're free in the day, maybe you can tag along when your holiday landlord goes to work.
    Laughing here. If that were possible I would try decorating my hallway through the letterbox when I get back. Anyway, must go - as my internal flight to Cairo awaits....

Well good luck (getting in and stay safe if you do!), I must admit, it'll be quite an experience and I do like going to neutral matches to mix it up as it's a completely different football perspective. Talking of perspective, I know that's a wide-angle shot of the stadium but those types of stadia drive me nuts. I like to be close to the action and the huge perimeters between the pitch and the fans puts me off them.

I follow the Greek Super league (AEK Athens) and watch it whenever I find a stream but the grounds are often too big (or the crowds are too small!) and there's little atmosphere on TV. I've got a trip planned this winter. Mrs Citizen is running a half-marathon (she's building up to the Marathon for next year) and I of course will be exercising my best Greek so I can order a cocktails while I cheer her on from a Taverna. It's going to be tough.... but I've got this!

Well after the outpouring during Corvid from top clubs due to the empty stadium according to the players / managers it would die ??

I would personally not bother watching the City on TV , the terrace culture is the buzz for me plus the social interaction side either side of the game .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Mushrooms?
    Psilocybe semilanceata tea

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well after the outpouring during Corvid from top clubs due to the empty stadium according to the players / managers it would die ??

I would personally not bother watching the City on TV , the terrace culture is the buzz for me plus the social interaction side either side of the game .
    You seem more of an ornithologist (although that comment will probably be a whoosh for you).

Well good luck (getting in and stay safe if you do!), I must admit, it'll be quite an experience and I do like going to neutral matches to mix it up as it's a completely different football perspective. Talking of perspective, I know that's a wide-angle shot of the stadium but those types of stadia drive me nuts. I like to be close to the action and the huge perimeters between the pitch and the fans puts me off them.

I follow the Greek Super league (AEK Athens) and watch it whenever I find a stream but the grounds are often too big (or the crowds are too small!) and there's little atmosphere on TV. I've got a trip planned this winter. Mrs Citizen is running a half-marathon (she's building up to the Marathon for next year) and I of course will be exercising my best Greek so I can order a cocktails while I cheer her on from a Taverna. It's going to be tough.... but I've got this!
    I wish her well with her semi-Snickers. For my part, I managed to get a ticket for the game on Wednesday but I can't understand how demand must be so low. It's a night kick-off but I'll keep you informed. The opposition is Cleopatra Ceramica but I'll be supporting the home toxopholists.Screenshot_20220627_174442.jpg

I wish her well with her semi-Snickers. For my part, I managed to get a ticket for the game on Wednesday but I can't understand how demand must be so low. It's a night kick-off but I'll keep you informed. The opposition is Cleopatra Ceramica but I'll be supporting the home toxopholists.Screenshot_20220627_174442.jpg
    Those are some amazing football club names! Well done with the ticket. Keep us informed. Our man in Cairo! (I'm picturing you in a jaunty Panama).

Dear TBG, Did you go and are you OK? Concerned Citizen of Grangetown.

Dear TBG, Did you go and are you OK? Concerned Citizen of Grangetown.
    Well I have a confession. After swanning around the backstreets of Cairo most of the day visiting the Coptic Christian area, several markets and a number of interesting mosques I returned to my digs to flake out for a couple of hours. Just as I seemed be be dropping off for a snooze I received an alert on my phone about the line-ups. Bugger, I thought, the game was that evening and not the following evening, as I had erroneously thought (and which has been my only cock-up in a very busy week).
    I hastily left my gaff to flag down a taxi at what still seemed to be rush hour (which obviously goes on for hours). After flapping my arms for quite some time, I got a bite! The taxi driver seemed to understand that I wanted to see the Zamalek game. We slowly weaved our way through the cacophonous and jammed Street until he stopped outside a well-illuminated sports venue adorning the Zamalek badge. The taxi driver shoots off and as I try to enter the venue I am informed that the game is taking place not in the area of Zamalek (which is in western part of Cairo but in the eastern part of the city). It seemed that I was dropped of at their general sporting HQ and not the stadium. After several minutes being taught by the guy on the door how to pronounce the name of the actual venue, I flagged down another taxi and the driver seemed to understand what I said. However, whist being stuck in even more traffic crossing the city he asked me the location again but I had forgotten it. By the time I googled it, time was running out due to the sheer log-jam of traffic and I abandoned it. It was quite ironic that it took so much effort to obtain a ticket but the fault was really my responsibility. I have been scooting all over the place and my plans have otherwise gone perfectly even in the weirdest circumstances.
    I'm now on a bus on the Sinai peninsula where security is hot and there are regular checkpoints. I know in recent years armed guards were required on these local buses.
    Any apologies, I failed you!
    P.S. I'm a wee bit saddle-sore after riding a horse around the Sphinx and the pyramids yesterday. Couldn't descend the steps into the pyramid itself as it involved bending over double and going backwards along a long tunnel. Far too claustrophobic for me!

Well I have a confession. After swanning around the backstreets of Cairo most of the day visiting the Coptic Christian area, several markets and a number of interesting mosques I returned to my digs to flake out for a couple of hours. Just as I seemed be be dropping off for a snooze I received an alert on my phone about the line-ups. Bugger, I thought, the game was that evening and not the following evening, as I had erroneously thought (and which has been my only cock-up in a very busy week).
    I hastily left my gaff to flag down a taxi at what still seemed to be rush hour (which obviously goes on for hours). After flapping my arms for quite some time, I got a bite! The taxi driver seemed to understand that I wanted to see the Zamalek game. We slowly weaved our way through the cacophonous and jammed Street until he stopped outside a well-illuminated sports venue adorning the Zamalek badge. The taxi driver shoots off and as I try to enter the venue I am informed that the game is taking place not in the area of Zamalek (which is in western part of Cairo but in the eastern part of the city). It seemed that I was dropped of at their general sporting HQ and not the stadium. After several minutes being taught by the guy on the door how to pronounce the name of the actual venue, I flagged down another taxi and the driver seemed to understand what I said. However, whist being stuck in even more traffic crossing the city he asked me the location again but I had forgotten it. By the time I googled it, time was running out due to the sheer log-jam of traffic and I abandoned it. It was quite ironic that it took so much effort to obtain a ticket but the fault was really my responsibility. I have been scooting all over the place and my plans have otherwise gone perfectly even in the weirdest circumstances.
    I'm now on a bus on the Sinai peninsula where security is hot and there are regular checkpoints. I know in recent years armed guards were required on these local buses.
    Any apologies, I failed you!
    P.S. I'm a wee bit saddle-sore after riding a horse around the Sphinx and the pyramids yesterday. Couldn't descend the steps into the pyramid itself as it involved bending over double and going backwards along a long tunnel. Far too claustrophobic for me!
    Now that really is a cool story (no sarcasm). That's proper travel and it sounds like you're having quite an experience out there. Shame about the match but as someone who's very much given myself up to chaos theory and the randomness of the universe, it all sounds like a living Mandelbrot equation to to me which makes for great reading!

As someone who ended up taking 13 hours from Brussels to Amsterdam a few weeks ago instead of 2, I do empathise. Though, I did meet and chat to some great people and it all worked out to be a much better life experience. Go with the flow TBG. I look forward to the next instalment.

Now that really is a cool story (no sarcasm). That's proper travel and it sounds like you're having quite an experience out there. Shame about the match but as someone who's very much given myself up to chaos theory and the randomness of the universe, it all sounds like a living Mandelbrot equation to to me which makes for great reading!

As someone who ended up taking 13 hours from Brussels to Amsterdam a few weeks ago instead of 2, I do empathise. Though, I did meet and chat to some great people and it all worked out to be a much better life experience. Go with the flow TBG. I look forward to the next instalment.
    You are very generous in spirit, old fruit. I have had a multitude of experiences off the beaten track this week but I won't bore message boarders with all that stuff

FAO Citizen's Nephew. Thanks for the PM but such are your settings that I can't reply

FAO Citizen's Nephew. Thanks for the PM but such are your settings that I can't reply
    Sorted. I always forget to lift lower the drawbridge.