+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How long can football clubs to exist without crowds?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: How long can football clubs to exist without crowds?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We are all aware of the financial difficulties caused in this country by clubs having had to play behind closed doors in the last two seasons but in my efforts to attend a game in the Egyptian Premier League next week I discovered the following:
    Fans of the Egyptian Premier League were barred from attending their teams’ matches since massacres that took place after the match between Al-Ahly SC and Al-Masry SC in Port Said in February 2012, resulting in 74 deaths and over 500 injuries.
    There was an attempt to bring the fans back to the stands in 2015 but the move was dropped after 20 Zamalek fans lost their lives while attempting to enter a stadium.
    Subsequently, Covid came along and it seems that only last October were clubs permitted to have a couple of thousand fans attend games in stadiums that accommodate up to 75,000 fans.
    For my part, an Egyptian gentleman I will be staying with (and a fan of Cairo's Zamalek team) has assisted me in going through the motions of creating a required Fan ID that is necessary to purchase tickets - and it even involved declaring one's blood group! I somehow don't expect to see next Wednesday's game but watching Egyptian Premier League games has been a minority pleasure even in Egypt since 2012, it seems.
    I've read this post several times now and my jaw still drops every time. I had no idea this sh*t had been going on and it's actually heartbreaking. As Daniel15 said, 'Every day's a schoolday'. CCMB can get a bit crazy sometimes but posts like this are gems. TBG!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I've read this post several times now and my jaw still drops every time. I had no idea this sh*t had been going on and it's actually heartbreaking. As Daniel15 said, 'Every day's a schoolday'. CCMB can get a bit crazy sometimes but posts like this are gems. TBG!
    You are too kind, sir. Before I was aware of the situation a few days ago I had the intention of watching one of the three Egyptian Premier League games being played in Cairo tomorrow and Wednesday evening,one of them being Zamalek. By coincidence, a male gynaecologist who is a Zamalek fan, accepted my request to couchsurf with him on those two nights. My registration for a Egyptian fan ID was initially approved but it's now held up due to my Covid passes needing to be approved.
    I can't see me being able to attend even if my application were to be approved as I understand that only 1,000 home fans are permitted to attend.
    It would be rather devoid of atmosphere too if you see what the stadium looks like:
    1280px-Panorma_Cairo_Stadium.jpg

You are too kind, sir. Before I was aware of the situation a few days ago I had the intention of watching one of the three Egyptian Premier League games being played in Cairo tomorrow and Wednesday evening,one of them being Zamalek. By coincidence, a male gynaecologist who is a Zamalek fan, accepted my request to couchsurf with him on those two nights. My registration for a Egyptian fan ID was initially approved but it's now held up due to my Covid passes needing to be approved.
    I can't see me being able to attend even if my application were to be approved as I understand that only 1,000 home fans are permitted to attend.
    It would be rather devoid of atmosphere too if you see what the stadium looks like:
    If you're free in the day, maybe you can tag along when your holiday landlord goes to work.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If you're free in the day, maybe you can tag along when your holiday landlord goes to work.
    Laughing here. If that were possible I would try decorating my hallway through the letterbox when I get back. Anyway, must go - as my internal flight to Cairo awaits....

Well good luck (getting in and stay safe if you do!), I must admit, it'll be quite an experience and I do like going to neutral matches to mix it up as it's a completely different football perspective. Talking of perspective, I know that's a wide-angle shot of the stadium but those types of stadia drive me nuts. I like to be close to the action and the huge perimeters between the pitch and the fans puts me off them.

I follow the Greek Super league (AEK Athens) and watch it whenever I find a stream but the grounds are often too big (or the crowds are too small!) and there's little atmosphere on TV. I've got a trip planned this winter. Mrs Citizen is running a half-marathon (she's building up to the Marathon for next year) and I of course will be exercising my best Greek so I can order a cocktails while I cheer her on from a Taverna. It's going to be tough.... but I've got this!

Well after the outpouring during Corvid from top clubs due to the empty stadium according to the players / managers it would die ??

I would personally not bother watching the City on TV , the terrace culture is the buzz for me plus the social interaction side either side of the game .