Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I'm guessing that many posters on here are Welsh - descendants of Welsh people and proud of it.
It is fact of history that the fabric of Welsh history - its culture and heritage is largely the product of religion. It was the chapels of Wales who took the lead in teaching literacy to the Welsh nation. The songs and arias that are sung so proudly at sports events today are sourced from religion. If you know anything of your family history, you'll likely be aware of how religion, either Anglican or more likely Non-conformist was integral to their lives.
Just wondering how knowledge of one's Welsh heritage sits with some of the views of religion expressed in this thread......
It sits just fine with me.

I am an atheist, but many of may family and friends have religious beliefs (or at least conform to the customs and practices). Mainly non-conformist Christians, but some Moslem, some Jews and a few Sikhs. My dad was a free-thinking Christian with a deep distrust of organised religion (the various branches of Christianity plc). My brother and his husband are Buddhist and totally inoffensive apart from the chanting! We co-exist very happily, but generally avoid arguing about religion, unless it spills over into social or political issues - and even then often agree.

My/our history and heritage is mainly non-conformist Christianity for the past two and a half centuries. I am very interested in the architecture, the customs, the mind-set and beliefs that dominated my ancestors lives. They wouldn't have been who they were without a major influence from their beliefs. I don't have to believe any of it myself. And I don't.