+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: George Carlin religion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: George Carlin religion

Without going too deep into religion (Is that possible?) i would say that coming from a religious household (My mother) Although she wasn't hard line. Taught me respect and discipline. I interpreted it into a way that suited me and my own beliefs both socially and politically ( That is allowed, millions of people with faith do it) I essentially took the good things out of religion and used them to my advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Without going too deep into religion (Is that possible?) i would say that coming from a religious household (My mother) Although she wasn't hard line. Taught me respect and discipline. I interpreted it into a way that suited me and my own beliefs both socially and politically ( That is allowed, millions of people with faith do it) I essentially took the good things out of religion and used them to my advantage.
    My mother was the religious stalwart in our house as well. Looking back she personified the good things of the Catholic faith. She loved being a member of the Catholic mothers group, loved trips to Lourdes & Knock. A very calm woman, nothing seemed to faze her and she just got on with life, raising us and keeping house. She didn’t have much, my old man always tipped the wages up and we certainly didn’t go without but, in hindsight, was that to her detriment? I know it’s my Mam but if every religious person, and she was massively Catholic, lived their life like her the world wouldn’t be too bad a place.

One funny anecdote, towards the end of her life, St Alban’s church provided a mini bus to pick elderly parishioners up for Saturday night mass. When she passed away the other ‘bus goers’ retired her seat Its been a few years now so I trust someone’s sat in it now.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My mother was the religious stalwart in our house as well. Looking back she personified the good things of the Catholic faith. She loved being a member of the Catholic mothers group, loved trips to Lourdes & Knock. A very calm woman, nothing seemed to faze her and she just got on with life, raising us and keeping house. She didn’t have much, my old man always tipped the wages up and we certainly didn’t go without but, in hindsight, was that to her detriment? I know it’s my Mam but if every religious person, and she was massively Catholic, lived their life like her the world wouldn’t be too bad a place.

One funny anecdote, towards the end of her life, St Alban’s church provided a mini bus to pick elderly parishioners up for Saturday night mass. When she passed away the other ‘bus goers’ retired her seat Its been a few years now so I trust someone’s sat in it now.
    That sounds just like my Mother, although she was very politically active in terms of defending workers rights, the poor etc. She once occupied the benefits office with Kathleen from number 62 over a dispute over money, took in my friends and showed them love and compassion at difficult times etc. I'm sure that her faith played a part in that, even though the men at the top of her faith weren't so interested. Wonderful woman.