+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: George Carlin religion

Re: George Carlin religion

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well it's certainly delusional it could be argued
    It's irrational to suggest something can be created from nothing. It's anti science. Atheism is the least rational stance to take. Small brain thinking.

International

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    He is an eternal spirit where the word eternal means always will exist and always has. This is totally outside out own experience of time, matter and space; so it's perflectly understandable that we would ask questions* that would relate to our dimension when we have no experience of God's natural realm.

* Like who created his dimension, because He created our temporary dimension.

* Some scientists believe that our present reality is a computer program, not unlike the holodeck seen on Star Trek.
    So who made him? Or did he just growed? Or perhaps there was a big BANG and there he was!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I remember an old lady in Italy who, after being saved from under a collapsed building, thanked God for her survival. Unfortunately, others perished in that incident.
    How we deal with trauma, loss, grief, emotional pain are complex. I actually find the thought of chaotic theory and a series of random but mathematically patterned quantum events (and the head-f*ck that they bring) really comforting. When we give up on being in control of anything (including our own brains) it can be philosophically liberating. You see, what I think the old lady in Italy was describing and attributing to her survival, was in fact chaos. She survived (everything is connected but uncontrollable) while others perished, seems perfectly logical to me and is not pre-ordained (or down to a god).

The thing I'm doing here now though (and I didn't start off this post with this in mind) is arguing that chaos = god = chaos. I'm not talking about conscience (which is different and touches upon sentience - including AI) being represented by a bearded man surrounded by angels in the same way that just because I have a beard means I qualify as a god! Though I think I'd make a pretty good god and have learned a lot from Sean Connery's mistakes in A Man Who Would Be King!

The Italian lady could quite as easily thanked Chaos for her survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Oooo Ark at Rambo yer... lolz

You'll not do as you want but as God intends
    Are you a born-again Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Are you a born-again Christian?
    Nah, I was raised in a Catholic household.

I remember an old lady in Italy who, after being saved from under a collapsed building, thanked God for her survival. Unfortunately, others perished in that incident.
    If she believes that it was gods will to let her live and call time on the poor souls who died, then that's her logic, her solace. I don't think that it's anymore complicated than that in my opinion.

International

I can prove that our creator exists using science. Within the laws of science you can NOT create something from nothing. Ergo, we were created from God.
    You're still talking shite. We weren't made from nothing. It's called evolution. Doh!!

Me too but I realised by the age of 13 I was being taken for a mug

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If she believes that it was gods will to let her live and call time on the poor souls who died, then that's her logic, her solace. I don't think that it's anymore complicated than that in my opinion.
    But in America women are going to be prevented from aborting babies to be born from abuse because of this solace and its influence

And I think it's got to be challenged

It's irrational to suggest something can be created from nothing. It's anti science. Atheism is the least rational stance to take. Small brain thinking.
    Small brain thinking (your words) could in fact be the more humble and logical. Do you think that maybe your ego is getting in the way which is why you're barbed comments to us lesser mortals (sh*t, I'm doing it now) is, in fact, your sub-conscious insecurity? Note: I'm not accusing you of being insecure nor am I psychiatrically evaluating you or using ad hominem attack. It's just a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    How we deal with trauma, loss, grief, emotional pain are complex. I actually find the thought of chaotic theory and a series of random but mathematically patterned quantum events (and the head-f*ck that they bring) really comforting. When we give up on being in control of anything (including our own brains) it can be philosophically liberating. You see, what I think the old lady in Italy was describing and attributing to her survival, was in fact chaos. She survived (everything is connected but uncontrollable) while others perished, seems perfectly logical to me and is not pre-ordained (or down to a god).

The thing I'm doing here now though (and I didn't start off this post with this in mind) is arguing that chaos = god = chaos. I'm not talking about conscience (which is different and touches upon sentience - including AI) being represented by a bearded man surrounded by angels in the same way that just because I have a beard means I qualify as a god! Though I think I'd make a pretty good god and have learned a lot from Sean Connery's mistakes in A Man Who Would Be King!

The Italian lady could quite as easily thanked Chaos for her survival.
    Chaos is definitely not God, unless you worship the anti christ. From mathematics to Art, order is seen as beautiful and heart warming.
    The most profound words ever written were in The Gospel of John 1:1
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

Words are God, Words require order to work. God is order. If chaos was God, we'd all be speaking random garbled nonesense to each other with no order. We'd barely be able to comunicate

In fairness, you've just summed it up beautifully using less time and energy than one of my tomes! It's no wonder I'm knackered all the time!

Chaos is definitely not God, unless you worship the anti christ. From mathematics to Art, order is seen as beautiful and heart warming.
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

Words are God, Words require order to work. God is order. If chaos was God, we'd all be speaking random garbled nonesense to each other with no order.
    There maybe still time to edit that last bit!

Just the line of everything happens as God intends tends to be a born-again thing. My last headteacher in comp was a born-again Christian who claimed the massacre of the schoolkids in Dunblane was an act of God. That's what he told the entire school. Fruitloop.

Anyway, my tuppence worth. I've been a church organist most of my life but never took religion that seriously until the last few years and even now it's not a big part of my life. I think there is some ultimate deity out there. I like the Christian message of love to everyone.

Surely the message should be that it doesn't matter what people believe or do, we should all respect each other? I admit I struggle with that when it comes to far right political views but a person is a person whether they are straight, gay or not bothered; religious or not bothered and so on. Live and let live.

There maybe still time to edit that last bit!
    Can't remember seeing God on The Word in the 90s.

Words are God, Words require order to work. God is order. If chaos was God, we'd all be speaking random garbled nonesense to each other with no order. We'd barely be able to comunicate
    OK, I I'm done with you now. I just can't live in your medieval head. Try reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You're still talking shite. We weren't made from nothing. It's called evolution. Doh!!
    Don't start me on evolution, another irrational system.
    If you believe in evolution, explain how a bumble bee will continually grow a wing that had no practical use until 75% complete.
    Why, under natural selection would a bee keep selecting for an adaptation that has no use. A 1% Bee wing has no use so why keep selecting for it over generations?

You think the words written by .....John? .....in his gospel ......were the most profound words ever written ?

That's an opinion , it's not a fact

And in the same way we know that if you heat up water it will boil .....a fact proven by science ........you cannot , apart from playing verbal tennis as you and other Christians do , give any proof that there is a god

Nothing at all

A shin bone , photos , fingerprints , recordings of him speaking , film footage of him performing miracles

Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Can't remember seeing God on The Word in the 90s.
    When telly was proper telly and VHS remotes were wired.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You think the words written by .....John? .....in his gospel ......were the most profound words ever written ?

That's an opinion , it's not a fact

And in the same way we know that if you heat up water it will boil .....a fact proven by science ........you cannot , apart from playing verbal tennis as you and other Christians do , give any proof that there is a god

Nothing at all

A shin bone , photos , fingerprints , recordings of him speaking , film footage of him performing miracles

Nothing
    I'm using logic and reason to prove God (our creator)exists. If you object to my logic explain how you create something(our universe) from nothing...in science that is not possible.

What to you are the most profound words ever written?

Is anyone else desperate to watch some shit football?

I think you are totally missing the point.

I think you are totally missing the point.
    Could you be anymore condescending?
    No explanation, just a metaphorical pat on the head and a stern "No boy"
    Socially clumsy at best.

OK, I I'm done with you now. I just can't live in your medieval head. Try reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder.
    Try conveying a point instead of recommending books you probably don't understand yourself.
    If God is chaos, why are you recommending that i read a book which is an orderly set of words, the complete opposite of chaos...

In fairness, you've just summed it up beautifully using less time and energy than one of my tomes! It's no wonder I'm knackered all the time!
    You're a demon!