+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: George Carlin religion

Re: George Carlin religion

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well I think that is the winning card

Fry sums it up perfectly

Why would God create a world so full of pain and suffering ? And the only way to get out of it is to pray to him ?

Give me liz hurley feeding me grapes in a dress , Sabbath on the sound system
    What if Liz hates Sabbath and gave you an ultimatum: "It's me or Sabbath". Which would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What if Liz hates Sabbath and gave you an ultimatum: "It's me or Sabbath". Which would you choose?
    Sabbath

She's going to go downhill at some point

Sabbath

Do you expect to live forever? You've had enough Sabbath. It's time for some Hurley.

You chose unwisely.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do you expect to live forever? You've had enough Sabbath. It's time for some Hurley.

You chose unwisely.
    Do you remember Rosie Vela ?

New York Model , made a solo album 1985 ?

Got it on now

Sabbath

Would you change your mind if it was Kate Humble?

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Would you change your mind if it was Kate Humble?
    She was great pre op

Well I think that is the winning card

Fry sums it up perfectly

Why would God create a world so full of pain and suffering ? And the only way to get out of it is to pray to him ?

Give me liz hurley feeding me grapes in a dress , Sabbath on the sound system
    You 'speak' as if there were just one god and that the deity concerned was 'male' . There have been thousands through the history of mankind: male, female, animals, mythical creatures and a lot else.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You 'speak' as if there were just one god and that the deity concerned was 'male' . There have been thousands through the history of mankind: male, female, animals, mythical creatures and a lot else.
    Yeah but when a conversation about....God......comes up on here or down the pub .......we generally accept its the Abraham god with the white beard that's being discussed

Are we speaking the same language ? 🤔

I believe in divinity but not a god.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Can you explain what that means?
    It's a job to as I'm not certain myself! I don't believe in a supreme being, we are all as good as it gets and all as good as each other. There is a high degree of pure spontaneous chaos to life - it would be obviously wrong to hold it out as an absolute that if you do go in life, that success is guaranteed - too many people suffer in the world for that to be an absolute, yet however indeed there can be some correlation in "living right" (doing your level best in all, and not meaning to cause harm) - "doing the right things - and things going well for you. So divinity to me in some sense to use small example is when I take myself out on a 5 mile run I tend to see a lot of Robins up close - to me I tell myself that is a sort of divinity as they are my favourite bird and particularly personal me to a person no longer with us loved them too - I tell myself when I see them it's a result/reward of my getting my arse in gear and doing the right thing. So you may say, if I believe in a divinity how can I not believe in a god which put some kind of intelligent design to it all. Well, damn for a start I don't know for sure either way and frankly I don't sweat it (it also ends up monetarily a lot cheaper that way). I just get on with life - doing the right things as best as I can; however given i do believe there is something sort of divine, I believe it is not through a creator but through ourselves and through our energies - in a way we kind of cant fully comprehend or are not fully aware of .

Yeah but when a conversation about....God......comes up on here or down the pub .......we generally accept its the Abraham god with the white beard that's being discussed

Are we speaking the same language ? 🤔
    You don't want to be as parochial as your detractors

It's a job to as I'm not certain myself! I don't believe in a supreme being, we are all as good as it gets and all as good as each other. There is a high degree of pure spontaneous chaos to life - it would be obviously wrong to hold it out as an absolute that if you do go in life, that success is guaranteed - too many people suffer in the world for that to be an absolute, yet however indeed there can be some correlation in "living right" (doing your level best in all, and not meaning to cause harm) - "doing the right things - and things going well for you. So divinity to me in some sense to use small example is when I take myself out on a 5 mile run I tend to see a lot of Robins up close - to me I tell myself that is a sort of divinity as they are my favourite bird and particularly personal me to a person no longer with us loved them too - I tell myself when I see them it's a result/reward of my getting my arse in gear and doing the right thing. So you may say, if I believe in a divinity how can I not believe in a god which put some kind of intelligent design to it all. Well, damn for a start I don't know for sure either way and frankly I don't sweat it (it also ends up monetarily a lot cheaper that way). I just get on with life - doing the right things as best as I can; however given i do believe there is something sort of divine, I believe it is not through a creator but through ourselves and through our energies - in a way we kind of cant fully comprehend or are not fully aware of .
    That's all very romantic but it doesn't stop some dirty stinking cat pouncing on your Robin and chewing it to bits

That's all very romantic but it doesn't stop some dirty stinking cat pouncing on your Robin and chewing it to bits
    Tends to be on the taff trail so don't see many cats about so hasn't happened yet.

OK, thanks for trying to explain.

Tends to be on the taff trail so don't see many cats about so hasn't happened yet.
    They are waiting

They are Satan

They are waiting

They are Satan
    No such thing imo

She was great pre op
    She was originally a bloke? 😕

It's quite amusing that believers think that deities physically resemble human beings whether they be male or female.
    Deities presumably wouldn't have a navel, sexual organs or physiology that evolved in one particular species millions of years after the deity created the universe.
    Our physical appearance is the result of conditions on one particular planet with a specific chemical environment, within certain temperature bands and with a defined level of gravity.
    We homo sapiens are an extreme latecomer to the party in evolutionary terms and we may well go extinct - so why a deity would think so far in advance to mirror a certain species at a particular window in time on one particular planet is truly ridiculous.
    Deities are man-made but if one existed it could be, for all we know: sexless, weightless, lacking in physical form, colourless and just a wisp of gas that can exist anywhere in the known universe.
    Our deities who supposedly created the universe and who resemble blokes before razor blades were invented or with elephant heads represent parochialism in extremis.

It's quite amusing that believers think that deities physically resemble human beings whether they be male or female.
    Deities presumably wouldn't have a navel, sexual organs or physiology that evolved in one particular species millions of years after the deity created the universe.
    Our physical appearance is the result of conditions on one particular planet with a specific chemical environment, within certain temperature bands and with a defined level of gravity.
    We homo sapiens are an extreme latecomer to the party in evolutionary terms and we may well go extinct - so why a deity would think so far in advance to mirror a certain species at a particular window in time on one particular planet is truly ridiculous.
    Deities are man-made but if one existed it could be, for all we know: sexless, weightless, lacking in physical form, colourless and just a wisp of gas that can exist anywhere in the known universe.
    Our deities who supposedly created the universe and who resemble blokes before razor blades were invented or with elephant heads represent parochialism in extremis.
    My sexual organs were definitely created by a god

God created man in his own image. So he's multiracial and bi-sexual. His pronouns are they/them/theirs.

Like many others, you do a lot of talking about a deity that you are (supposedly) convinced doesn't exist.
    And for the record, YHWH has as much to do with the idea of evolution as you employ logic.
    Great laugh for a Monday morning though - so very welcome

IF and i do mean if ! there was a God why would he let Black metal exist?

sludge!

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Like many others, you do a lot of talking about a deity that you are (supposedly) convinced doesn't exist.
    And for the record, YHWH has as much to do with the idea of evolution as you employ logic.
    Great laugh for a Monday morning though - so very welcome
    I tend to talk about deities rather than just one of the many thousands that have existed. Culture around the world fascinates me and religion is part of all that - and I do make an effort to learn about them a great deal in my travels around the world whether it be Shintoism, Native American spirits, Sikhism, Buddhism, paganism or the various branches of Abrahamism - and I'm looking forward to visiting the Pyramids at Giza the day after tomorrow.
    Religion is a truly fascinating subject but deities say a great deal about the people that invented them in the first place. It's all about human psychology and related to time and space.
    By the way, how's the talking snake?

So was the acorn.

So was the acorn.
    HARSH