+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: George Carlin religion

First Team

Re: George Carlin religion

My introduction to religion would have been a grubby old bloke muttering some strange gibberish and wielding a Stanley knife type implement, whilst slicing off a bit of my todger.
    Not a great introduction and when old enough to appreciate the finer things in life it turns out I couldn’t go out on a Friday or have a bacon sarnie on a Saturday.
    Accordingly, I have adopted the go straight to Hell lifestyle.
    As or when I get judged by whichever being is in charge then I do have a few questions and I will be carrying a very blunt blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    So was the acorn.
    😂😂

I tend to talk about deities rather than just one of the many thousands that have existed. Culture around the world fascinates me and religion is part of all that - and I do make an effort to learn about them a great deal in my travels around the world whether it be Shintoism, Native American spirits, Sikhism, Buddhism, paganism or the various branches of Abrahamism - and I'm looking forward to visiting the Pyramids at Giza the day after tomorrow.
    Religion is a truly fascinating subject but deities say a great deal about the people that invented them in the first place. It's all about human psychology and related to time and space.
    By the way, how's the talking snake?
    Very clearly still pulling your strings (as he is with many millions of people via some of the religions you list above).

Nothing new under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Very clearly still pulling your strings (as he is with many millions of people via some of the religions you list above).

Nothing new under the sun.
    Pulling my strings? Hardly. Just one example of gullible people believing in the most ridiculous stories throughout history.

Sorry to repeat myself but it's all bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sorry to repeat myself but it's all bullshit
    You should just come out and tell us what you think on the matter mate.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I am building up to it

Rexburg Idaho

95 per cent of the residents of the town , population 40000 , are members of the church of later day saints

Barmy Army

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Rexburg Idaho

95 per cent of the residents of the town , population 40000 , are members of the church of later day saints

Barmy Army
    Didn't they win the welsh cup and Welsh premier league?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Didn't they win the welsh cup and Welsh premier league?
    Yep

Loads of aggro before the game

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    May all the gods in human history have mercy on your soul.

FAO Truthpaste: Today I have visited several mosques, numerous Coptic Christian churches, a Greek Orthodox Church and I have seen artefacts dedicated to a multitude of other gods, some in animal form (such as lions and vultures), others that were human hybrids (a female with a crocodile's head and an ox's head on a man's body) and other inanimate objects worshipped such as the sun. Fascinating stuff all round.
    P. S. The synagogue was closed for renovation.

May all the gods in human history have mercy on your soul.
    Fingers crossed I’ve not pissed off the real one, if there is a real one.

FAO Truthpaste: Today I have visited several mosques, numerous Coptic Christian churches, a Greek Orthodox Church and I have seen artefacts dedicated to a multitude of other gods, some in animal form (such as lions and vultures), others that were human hybrids (a female with a crocodile's head and an ox's head on a man's body) and other inanimate objects worshipped such as the sun. Fascinating stuff all round.
    P. S. The synagogue was closed for renovation.
    Bravo. What do you think draws you to places of (what you classify as) human invention?
    After all I'm guessing you steer clear of places that take fairies, goblins and wizards seriously.

Bravo. What do you think draws you to places of (what you classify as) human invention?
    TBG is a cultured man. He also goes to art galleries, cinemas, theatres and bookshops. All places of human invention that provide entertainment, diversion and intellectual challenge. Only a closed mind would find that odd!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    TBG is a cultured man. He also goes to art galleries, cinemas, theatres and bookshops. All places of human invention that provide entertainment, diversion and intellectual challenge. Only a closed mind would find that odd!
    And he's got a beach bar in his Garden.

After all I'm guessing you steer clear of places that take fairies, goblins and wizards seriously.
    Its all the same,man made.

I'm drawn to all sorts of facets, old fruit. Geographic wonders, linguistics, people, psychology, sport, real ale, music, customs, how we are conditioned and a multitude of other things.
    However people behave it's interesting to know why: in the case of religion it's about belief systems foisted upon them by rulers, empires, parents, peer groups etc.
    That is part of history, the movement of peoples, conflict and a lot else. Language is similar in that respect. Show me a native Spanish speaker anywhere on the globe and it's likely that we can probably guess not only his or her deity but the exact schism pertaining to it.
    You are a native English speaker brought up in a country where Christianity has been the dominant religion and where you were almost certainly taught Christianity at school, have been subjected to renditions of God Save The Queen, probably sang carols at school and your parents were probably either Christian even if nominally.
    Native English speakers in the UK are likely to be Christians if they have any religion at all and history tells us why. All that is exceedingly interesting but had you been born 4,000 years ago where I am right now you would have been worshipping other deities.
    Try and take the blinkers off and have an overview of humanity taking into account time and space.
    By the way, many of your Bible stories were filched from preceding religions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And he's got a beach bar in his Garden.
    I believe so

Try and take the blinkers off and have an overview of humanity taking into account time and space.
    By the way, many of your Bible stories were filched from preceding religions.
    Nice try, unfortunately one of your gods, science, in this case archaeology keeps on proving that the accounts written in the Bible are 100% true, much to the dismay of most of your fellow skeptics.

You are a native English speaker brought up in a country where Christianity has been the dominant religion and where you were almost certainly taught Christianity at school, have been subjected to renditions of God Save The Queen, probably sang carols at school and your parents were probably either Christian even if nominally.
    Native English speakers in the UK are likely to be Christians if they have any religion at all and history tells us why. All that is exceedingly interesting but had you been born 4,000 years ago where I am right now you would have been worshipping other deities.

A naive set of assumptions, and quickly sunk by very recent events in historically non-Christian countries like *Iran and China, just to name two of numerous countries seeing genuine Christianity sweeping the land.

* According to scholar Ladan Boroumand "Iran today is witnessing the highest rate of Christianization in the world",and according to scholar Shay Khatiri of Johns Hopkins University “Islam is the fastest shrinking religion in there [Iran], while Christianity is growing the fastest”, and in 2018 "up to half a million Iranians are Christian converts from Muslim families, and most of these Christians are evangelicals", and he adds "recent estimates claim that the number might have climbed up to somewhere between 1 million and 3 million". - SOURCE

Nice try, unfortunately one of your gods, science, in this case archaeology keeps in proving that the accounts written in the Bible are 100% true, much to the dismay of most of your fellow skeptics.

A naive set of assumptions, and quickly sunk by very recent events in historically non-Christian countries like *Iran and China, just to name two of numerous countries seeing genuine Christianity sweeping the land.

* According to scholar Ladan Boroumand "Iran today is witnessing the highest rate of Christianization in the world",and according to scholar Shay Khatiri of Johns Hopkins University “Islam is the fastest shrinking religion in there [Iran], while Christianity is growing the fastest”, and in 2018 "up to half a million Iranians are Christian converts from Muslim families, and most of these Christians are evangelicals", and he adds "recent estimates claim that the number might have climbed up to somewhere between 1 million and 3 million". - SOURCE
    Science is neither a god nor a religion.
    It means knowledge.
    Ironic that you didn't know that.
    Perhaps the talking donkey in Numbers should have told you.
    Our knowledge improves with time and new discoveries.
    Many of the greatest minds have welcomed others disproving their theories if it means improving our knowledge.
    It's the antithesis to religion in that respect.

It means knowledge.
    Many of the greatest minds have welcomed others disproving their theories if it means improving our knowledge.
    I've never suggested you follow religion, for the same reason that you shouldn't automatically follow science, both of them constantly correct their former presumptions! Anything that aspires to present the Truth must be properly tested.
    The Bible says - "Test all things" - and such advice doesn't exclude the testing of the Bible.
    As for the Donkey, he was actually serving his creator, something that you've not yet managed to do!

Maybe to understand you need to consider another ass-pect of this to refresh your world-view

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Its all the same,man made.
    Yes, but who made man? God by any chance?

It means knowledge.
    All science can explain is "how" religion explains the "why"? There is no competition between the two, you can be a religious scientist. Many are...

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    All science can explain is "how" religion explains the "why"? There is no competition between the two, you can be a religious scientist. Many are...
    About 3 to 4 percent of doctors and the like are religious

So not many at all