+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Squad , Formation and Gaps

Squad , Formation and Gaps

With the Bale not coming, Ralls signing, the team heading off for their bonding session I suspect not a millions miles away from being done in the transfer market. I'm still struggling though to decide what formation we'll play and who'll make our starting line up.

I think we undoubtedly need to sign a goal scorer and perhaps a winger who can play up top.

We've got at least 2 reasonable choices in every position if we play with wing backs instead of wingers. But if we play with wingers I would suggest we're one short with Whyte and Tanner probably not at the quality of others.

Maybe we'll see a high press 5-3-2 with the following line up....
    Alnwick , Collins, Nelson, McGuinness, Ng, Romeo, Rinomhota, Adams, Ralls, Harris, New Striker

Re: Squad , Formation and Gaps

New striker needed. Id like an experienced cb as well. That back 3 looks well dodgy. Havent seen enough of Denham to know if hed be a better option than 1 of those 3.

I think Wintle will definitely start if hes fit.

Bagan I think will be first choice LB.

Looking foward to seeing if Tanner can make the step up. Also will Colwill nail a regular place.?

I think we will be a higher energy high pressing team next season, and I think we will alternate between 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-1-2

would like to see a striker come in and we have signed 2 left wingers so that will suggest we will need some right wingers as well.
    we have Evans and Whyte who can play there, they could also play Colwill or Davies there but I think they'll bring in someone

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    With the Bale not coming, Ralls signing, the team heading off for their bonding session I suspect not a millions miles away from being done in the transfer market. I'm still struggling though to decide what formation we'll play and who'll make our starting line up.

I think we undoubtedly need to sign a goal scorer and perhaps a winger who can play up top.

We've got at least 2 reasonable choices in every position if we play with wing backs instead of wingers. But if we play with wingers I would suggest we're one short with Whyte and Tanner probably not at the quality of others.

Alnwick , Collins, Nelson, McGuinness, Ng, Romeo, Rinomhota, Adams, Ralls, Harris, New Striker
    Not much creativity in there, I think the people who expect a good new style of play will be sorely disappointed

I think part of the problem at this level and with our budget is that it is difficult to get players who can play a high aggressive press and have a a creative dimension. Colwill for example doesn't strike me a being a great fit to that way of playing, although he's arguably our most creative player.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Not much creativity in there, I think the people who expect a good new style of play will be sorely disappointed
    At least I hope it will be high energy. We've been so lethargic at times, which compounds the issue. Even under Warnock in early 17/18, at least we played with pace and energy, it was exciting. Then it just became turgid and that's the issue Morison will have.

We desperately need one good CB and striker. I don't think we've got a bad squad but I'd like to see us replace Doyle. I'd guess we're going to play 3 at the back but it is curious that we've had 7(?) months of Morison and I don't think anyone would put too much money on what system we'll play.

I'd be amazed if we didn't sign a CB and if Wintle isn't one of the first names on the team sheet. Harris shouldn't be inked in as a starter in July either, yet here we are...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'd be amazed if we didn't sign a CB and if Wintle isn't one of the first names on the team sheet. Harris shouldn't be inked in as a starter in July either, yet here we are...
    I completely forgot Wintle! Yes, he's 100% a starter (probably ahead of Adams). I see we're linked with a young Everton CB but I can't help but feel we need experience there. Do we know how long Morrison is out for and if he's still a City player when he's fit again?

I completely forgot Wintle! Yes, he's 100% a starter (probably ahead of Adams). I see we're linked with a young Everton CB but I can't help but feel we need experience there. Do we know how long Morrison is out for and if he's still a City player when he's fit again?
    They said he was out for 9 months in February. So id say with the World Cup in November / December it will be the New Year before Morrison is back.

Maybe whether he stays depends how our central defence is doing.

5 required.

2 CB unless Morrison fully recovers
    An attacking CM, a fit Rambo will do
    2 CF, replacements for Hugill & Ikpeazu

Seems Watters is going to Lincoln so two strikers needed now.

I'd love Hugill back and I think he's in the last year of his contract at Norwich. If Norwich keep hold of Pukki and Sargent I can't see him getting much game time there.

Goals, goals and someone to set them up.

As it stands we would be lucky to get anyone to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    At least I hope it will be high energy. We've been so lethargic at times, which compounds the issue. Even under Warnock in early 17/18, at least we played with pace and energy, it was exciting. Then it just became turgid and that's the issue Morison will have.

We desperately need one good CB and striker. I don't think we've got a bad squad but I'd like to see us replace Doyle. I'd guess we're going to play 3 at the back but it is curious that we've had 7(?) months of Morison and I don't think anyone would put too much money on what system we'll play.
    But that Warnock side still had players who were good on the ball: Bennett, Hoilett, even Gunnarsson & Zohore. It wasn't just hard running, there was some poise. The way it's going it looks like we'll just be playing 11 grafters again

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think we will be a higher energy high pressing team next season, and I think we will alternate between 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-1-2

would like to see a striker come in and we have signed 2 left wingers so that will suggest we will need some right wingers as well.
    we have Evans and Whyte who can play there, they could also play Colwill or Davies there but I think they'll bring in someone
    I can't see us using either of those formations regularly unless we sign at least one more central attacking midfielder. We've only got Colwill to play that role at the moment.

I think we have got a fair bit to do. There's the CB I alluded to end of last week, plus a foreign transfer in the pipeline. Not sure where they've got to so far but the medicals might be taking longer than usual or it might all be done and they decided against announcing yesterday after the Bale announcement, because you can imagine the responses.

I think there will be a fair few attacking options added in terms of loan signings, but naturally they're going to be a bit of a battle to get done because of the completion for anyone decent. We would not have done ourselves any harm in the way we dealt with loan players last season. I would imagine we still want to move a few out, also.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I can't see us using either of those formations regularly unless we sign at least one more central attacking midfielder. We've only got Colwill to play that role at the moment.
    I think Tanner and O Dowda can play there.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    But that Warnock side still had players who were good on the ball: Bennett, Hoilett, even Gunnarsson & Zohore. It wasn't just hard running, there was some poise. The way it's going it looks like we'll just be playing 11 grafters again
    We hardly touched the ball with Warnock it was all about get the ball back as quickly as possible and pump it up top. It was great fun as we were largely successful but losing and playing like that is horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think Tanner and O Dowda can play there.
    I thought that O'Dowda is predominantly a winger? Tanner is a complete wildcard. I don't think we can assume that he'll play a significant role for us next season.

I thought that O'Dowda is predominantly a winger? Tanner is a complete wildcard. I don't think we can assume that he'll play a significant role for us next season.
    Yeah I don't think O'Dowda plays centrally. I know he's played a a bit at Wingback which gives us another option on the left in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    I think we have got a fair bit to do. There's the CB I alluded to end of last week, plus a foreign transfer in the pipeline. Not sure where they've got to so far but the medicals might be taking longer than usual or it might all be done and they decided against announcing yesterday after the Bale announcement, because you can imagine the responses.

I think there will be a fair few attacking options added in terms of loan signings, but naturally they're going to be a bit of a battle to get done because of the completion for anyone decent. We would not have done ourselves any harm in the way we dealt with loan players last season. I would imagine we still want to move a few out, also.
    I'm sure our fans would have been fair and given reasonable responses...

I though hes also played CAM. But could be wrong.