+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My Amazon Echo Speaker Review

My Amazon Echo Speaker Review

Not bad for the price but anything above 6 on the volume dial and it tends to get muffled

Which is fair enough and fine by me as I don't crank things up these days

I am going to rig them up to go stereo

I looked at the Sonos and Amazon Studio and maybe that's an upgrade but for very good wireless Bluetooth speakers you clearly have to shell out

If anyone is going to buy an echo dot it's only useful for listening to music whilst you are cooking or something like that . Not much power at all .

Re: My Amazon Echo Speaker Review

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Not bad for the price but anything above 6 on the volume dial and it tends to get muffled

Which is fair enough and fine by me as I don't crank things up these days

I am going to rig them up to go stereo

I looked at the Sonos and Amazon Studio and maybe that's an upgrade but for very good wireless Bluetooth speakers you clearly have to shell out

If anyone is going to buy an echo dot it's only useful for listening to music whilst you are cooking or something like that . Not much power at all .
    Amazon products are shit. It's like buying from del boy: lots of promises of advanced technology, but it all breaks in weeks and nothing works like it should. And they have the same attitude to taxation too. My kindle stopped charging after a year. My echo always sounded crap and the "smart" part of it is laughable - it can do almost nothing. Put it next to the google alternative, Google wipes the floor with amazon. I've got one of the screen ones as well - keeps logging itself out of my account and I've given up on that. Had two firesticks, both broke within a year. The Prime app on my tv is the only one that frequently crashes, I can go months without access to it. NOt that it matters as it's loaded full of filler. Amazon products are cheap, nasty chinese rubbish dressed up ass West Coast tech.

They are, however, excellent at what they started out as which is online retail. E.g. yesterday I wanted to get hold of a copy of game of thrones (the book). It's obviously a very popular book so expected to be able to be able to pick up a copy easily enough. My kindle is dead (see above) so wanted a paper version. The library didn't have it, and couldn't find it in any of the charity shops near me. I go out of my way to use anyone but Amazon but they were the only people who could get me a copy today (I needed it today). So I bought it from them. This happens at least once a month ie I've no option but to shop with them because their next day (or sometimes same day) delivery cover so many products.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Amazon products are shit. It's like buying from del boy: lots of promises of advanced technology, but it all breaks in weeks and nothing works like it should. And they have the same attitude to taxation too. My kindle stopped charging after a year. My echo always sounded crap and the "smart" part of it is laughable - it can do almost nothing. Put it next to the google alternative, Google wipes the floor with amazon. I've got one of the screen ones as well - keeps logging itself out of my account and I've given up on that. Had two firesticks, both broke within a year. The Prime app on my tv is the only one that frequently crashes, I can go months without access to it. NOt that it matters as it's loaded full of filler. Amazon products are cheap, nasty chinese rubbish dressed up ass West Coast tech.

They are, however, excellent at what they started out as which is online retail. E.g. yesterday I wanted to get hold of a copy of game of thrones (the book). It's obviously a very popular book so expected to be able to be able to pick up a copy easily enough. My kindle is dead (see above) so wanted a paper version. The library didn't have it, and couldn't find it in any of the charity shops near me. I go out of my way to use anyone but Amazon but they were the only people who could get me a copy today (I needed it today). So I bought it from them. This happens at least once a month ie I've no option but to shop with them because their next day (or sometimes same day) delivery cover so many products.
    I sense a man wronged

Don't have anything to do with Amazon - horrible company.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Don't have anything to do with Amazon - horrible company.
    I tend not to , I bought mine second hand off e bay

I agree with a lot of what the OP says, but to be fair, their next day delivery is a godsend.

I have 3 Echo Dots and a Sonos enabled Alexa. I have so many because I live in an area where the DAB signal fails to reach. I find the DOT very good for listening to the radio and they represent excellent value for money. I don't recognise any of the problems mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I have 3 Echo Dots and a Sonos enabled Alexa. I have so many because I live in an area where the DAB signal fails to reach. I find the DOT very good for listening to the radio and they represent excellent value for money. I don't recognise any of the problems mentioned earlier.
    The dots are OK and have a lot of drive for small units but are not really for sitting down and listening .

The Echos are clearly more powerful but still don't quite hit it , struggling on volume 6 so the use of 2 is fine in my book

It's not Sonos quality but that's going to cost 300 quid

I've been using an Echo Show 8 for over 2 years and it's cracking, lovely sound on it, better speakers on it than my not cheap Samsung tv's so I connect the TV up to it via bluetooth to spit out the audio via that. Never had an issue with usability or reliability. Can bring up iplayer, YouTube, netflix, prime video and other ways of watching iptv on it so it doubles up as a little TV on my desk when I work from home.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    I've been using an Echo Show 8 for over 2 years and it's cracking, lovely sound on it, better speakers on it than my not cheap Samsung tv's so I connect the TV up to it via bluetooth to spit out the audio via that. Never had an issue with usability or reliability. Can bring up iplayer, YouTube, netflix, prime video and other ways of watching iptv on it so it doubles up as a little TV on my desk when I work from home.
    I was going to get the amazon studio , had a listen , nice sound , about 180 quid

I may well go for one But in my case would get two and link em up for stereo .......360 quid .....if bought new .......is a fair price for what I need it to deal with

Don't like the Google ones

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I was going to get the amazon studio , had a listen , nice sound , about 180 quid

I may well go for one But in my case would get two and link em up for stereo .......360 quid .....if bought new .......is a fair price for what I need it to deal with

Don't like the Google ones
    Ah yeah the Studio - Ive had a listen and a try out too - I've got a special arrangement with the Norwich branch of Tandys who let me into their store after they are closed to the general public, its always nice to mooch around without fear of being threatened or pickpocketed. Nice sound, quality sound.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Ah yeah the Studio - Ive had a listen and a try out too - I've got a special arrangement with the Norwich branch of Tandys who let me into their store after they are closed to the general public, its always nice to mooch around without fear of being threatened or pickpocketed. Nice sound, quality sound.
    Great Action

Nice Action

I think it's easier to get off crack than it is to get off using Amazon.

Saw this from them recently: To help ensure the safety of our customers and delivery partners, we will now leave packages at your doorstep where appropriate and move back before you collect your package. I've seen this happen in films. It never ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think it's easier to get off crack than it is to get off using Amazon.

Saw this from them recently: To help ensure the safety of our customers and delivery partners, we will now leave packages at your doorstep where appropriate and move back before you collect your package. I've seen this happen in films. It never ends well.
    I love music but I am not an audiophile . The Amazon Echoes sound fine for what I need .

HomePod is very good, if you have the hardware to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    They are. They still go for a good price second-hand after Apple killed them off but they may well be back https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...smart-speaker/

If anyone thinks the Bale saga was bad, Apple product speculation takes it to the next level....right up to 11 (that's for you Sludge).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    They are. They still go for a good price second-hand after Apple killed them off but they may well be back https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...smart-speaker/

If anyone thinks the Bale saga was bad, Apple product speculation takes it to the next level....right up to 11 (that's for you Sludge).
    Why not make ten louder ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    That's Apple ?

Its a nice speaker but I prefer android