+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon

Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon

Rafael Nadal has had to withdraw from Wimbledon due to abdominal injury.

Nick Kyrgios automatically goes through to the final.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/07/rafael-nadal-pulls-out-wimbledon-semi-final-nick-kyrgios-tennis

Sickener as it looks like pantomime villain Djokovic will get another grand slam under his belt and close the gap on him.
    Last edited by MacAdder; 07-07-22 at 21:06. Reason: Link doesn't work!!

Re: Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon

Gutting for the guy Nadal beat in the quarters too.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    What a brilliant match that QF with the American Fritz was too.
    In fairness to Nadal, he won that game after giving everything so Fritz can have few complaints.

Kyrgios, although seeming to be a troubled soul, will be fresher than the Serb (assuming he sees off Norrie as expected) and if he were to pull off a shock win he could be the next big name in tennis.

To have any chance he has to channel his anger to his advantage as Djokovic will use all his experience to wind him up.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    What a brilliant match that QF with the American Fritz was too.
    In fairness to Nadal, he won that game after giving everything so Fritz can have few complaints.

Kyrgios, although seeming to be a troubled soul, will be fresher than the Serb (assuming he sees off Norrie as expected) and if he were to pull off a shock win he could be the next big name in tennis.

To have any chance he has to channel his anger to his advantage as Djokovic will use all his experience to wind him up.
    He took Nadal to 5 sets and I tie breaker. I should imagine he's complained a lot in private over the last few hours.

Shame Fritz can’t go through in a case like this

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Looks like Nadal pissed on his chips

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yes agreed.
    I assume that is what Undercoverinwurzelland was getting at.

I'm sure Djokovic will have something to say along the same lines.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Looks like Nadal pissed on his chips
    "That's not quite right, try another catchphrase".

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes agreed.
    I assume that is what Undercoverinwurzelland was getting at.

I'm sure Djokovic will have something to say along the same lines.
    It was. I don't blame Nadal - I'm sure he thought he had a chance of playing the semi final.
    Would it be a problem if the beaten player was reinstated in cases like this though? The fans today would still get to see 2 semi finals rather than 1 too. Might be a bit weird if he went on to win it though, having lost a match.

It was. I don't blame Nadal - I'm sure he thought he had a chance of playing the semi final.
    Would it be a problem if the beaten player was reinstated in cases like this though? The fans today would still get to see 2 semi finals rather than 1 too. Might be a bit weird if he went on to win it though, having lost a match.
    That's the problem isn't it he did lose the match.

Whilst it's not quite a perfect system that Krygios now gets a bye to the final, as he would have in whatever round to be fair, I don't suppose you can have someone that lost potentially going on to win.

Probably an issue with prize money too.

Imagine this happening before a final, has it ever I wonder?

Hoping Norrie wins but otherwise as a player I've nothing but respect for Djokovic, terrific athlete.

Once you have lost a match, how can you be reinstated ? You are out of the tournament. However, what I think should have happened today is that Nadal should have at least turned up for the semi-final and tried to play a few games at the start of the first set. He obviously turned up injured for the quarterfinal (he had a bandage under his shirt at the start) yet he managed to play for five sets and over four hours and win. He is 36 now with a limited time left in the game and may not get another chance at a grand slam. Surely it was worth the risk. Its not like he is unable to walk or run. It is much better to get beaten out on the court than in the dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    That's the problem isn't it he did lose the match.

Whilst it's not quite a perfect system that Krygios now gets a bye to the final, as he would have in whatever round to be fair, I don't suppose you can have someone that lost potentially going on to win.

Probably an issue with prize money too.

Imagine this happening before a final, has it ever I wonder?

Hoping Norrie wins but otherwise as a player I've nothing but respect for Djokovic, terrific athlete.
    I lost all respect for Djokovic over the Covid vaccination saga. He obviously is an anti vaccer abd thinks he is above the law. To circulate amongst his fans the day after he tested positive is disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I lost all respect for Djokovic over the Covid vaccination saga. He obviously is an anti vaccer abd thinks he is above the law. To circulate amongst his fans the day after he tested positive is disgraceful.
    Agree, the Australian open saga did nothing positive for him in the popularity stakes.

There is no doubting Djokovic is one of the all time greats but for me he hasn't enamoured himself to the public over the years with his on court antics such as feigning injury to disrupt his opponent.

Now he tries just too hard to be loved.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Once you have lost a match, how can you be reinstated ? You are out of the tournament. However, what I think should have happened today is that Nadal should have at least turned up for the semi-final and tried to play a few games at the start of the first set. He obviously turned up injured for the quarterfinal (he had a bandage under his shirt at the start) yet he managed to play for five sets and over four hours and win. He is 36 now with a limited time left in the game and may not get another chance at a grand slam. Surely it was worth the risk. Its not like he is unable to walk or run. It is much better to get beaten out on the court than in the dressing room.
    Disappointing he didn't try and give it a go today for himself and fans alike but he will not have taken this decision lightly.