+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barristers strike

Barristers strike

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61946038

I’m all for strikes but having been subject to years of pay caps due to austerity, striking over a 15% pay rise (a potential £7000 extra a year) seems a little out of touch with reality.

Re: Barristers strike

That’s a lot for just making a cup of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    😂😂😂😂😂 quality.

Is it the ones on 50k a year striking or the younger ones just starting out who, once fees and costs are taken into account, can leave a courtroom with no money?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    thats how comedy is done

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Is it the ones on 50k a year striking or the younger ones just starting out who, once fees and costs are taken into account, can leave a courtroom with no money?
    Across the board from what I can see in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post

I’m all for strikes but having been subject to years of pay caps due to austerity, striking over a 15% pay rise (a potential £7000 extra a year) seems a little out of touch with reality.
    Some of them are on less than the minimum wage.

They are self employed and have to pay for all their expenses, including travel.

One interviewed this evening on Channel 4 described a fee she earned of £50 to represent someone at the Leicester court. She lives in London and her travel costs etc were over £170. She was paid minus £120 for a day's work. They are also not payed for all or most of the preparation work. Junior criminal barristers have a wig and a massive overdraft - and they cannot afford to do the job in many cases. The whole system is screwed - and made worse by idiots like Raab.

At the other end of the scale experienced commercial lawyers (including barristers) can be earning a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

They are self employed and have to pay for all their expenses, including travel.

One interviewed this evening on Channel 4 described a fee she earned of £50 to represent someone at the Leicester court. She lives in London and her travel costs etc were over £170. She was paid minus £120 for a day's work. They are also not payed for all or most of the preparation work. Junior criminal barristers have a wig and a massive overdraft - and they cannot afford to do the job in many cases. The whole system is screwed - and made worse by idiots like Raab.

At the other end of the scale experienced commercial lawyers (including barristers) can be earning a small fortune.
    Yes, to be fair I didn’t real the whole article so can certainly empathise with the junior barristers. If I could retract the post I would, although it was worth it for Blue Tits joke.

It has highlighted one thing, that there are a lot of unhappy people out there, in all professions and walks of life.

Let's not let the real issues get in the way e.g. Meanwhile, new criminal barristers can earn as little as £9,000 once costs, including transport, are factored in, while some barristers say the time they spend preparing cases means their hourly earnings are below minimum wage. which is in the article.

Legal Aid restrictions are the real story. Try getting any? In fact, try getting justice in this country if you're not minted, have a title or white.

That's the joke. Right there.

That is how 'they' want you to feel...

I am in exactly the same boat but we all need to fight the urge to fall for that otherwise it is one big race to the bottom while the very wealthiest profit from our misery and infighting.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

I am in exactly the same boat but we all need to fight the urge to fall for that otherwise it is one big race to the bottom while the very wealthiest profit from our misery and infighting.

Yes, a million times.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

Divide and conquer in its purest form and I’ve fallen for it hook, line and sinker

Legal aid , where so many groundbreaking cases are fought is under threat big time

I absolutely hate the Tories

Divide and conquer in its purest form and I’ve fallen for it hook, line and sinker
    We've been played for so long it's hard to not get caught out. The soundbite from Raab is a good example. People have no idea of the mess the criminal justice system is in. Especially the Justice Secretary.

A family member got into a spot of bother 15 years,because it was a first offence they got legal aid.Last year a mate of mine was arrested for criminal damage.It cost him a grand to clear his name.
    Speaking outside Bristol Crown Court, barrister Kannan Siva said more than one in four barristers have been “driven out of the jobs they loved because they simply can't afford to stay”.

He said: “For junior criminal barristers to be paid below minimum wage, a median income of just £12,200 a year, is not only scandalous but it will choke off the supply of the next generation of advocates - that pool of advocates that will help society and become our future judges.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    A family member got into a spot of bother 15 years,because it was a first offence they got legal aid.Last year a mate of mine was arrested for criminal damage.It cost him a grand to clear his name.
    Speaking outside Bristol Crown Court, barrister Kannan Siva said more than one in four barristers have been “driven out of the jobs they loved because they simply can't afford to stay”.

He said: “For junior criminal barristers to be paid below minimum wage, a median income of just £12,200 a year, is not only scandalous but it will choke off the supply of the next generation of advocates - that pool of advocates that will help society and become our future judges.
    The Conservatives will sort it out

Remain calm

System is broken, by the Tories. And it was broken pre covid. Take Giggs, he’s not had a trial for 2 years. There will be plenty of innocent men and women in prison for that time that haven’t faced a trial. Like most things, the Tories have brought the justice system to its knees with cuts, cuts and more cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    System is broken, by the Tories. And it was broken pre covid. Take Giggs, he’s not had a trial for 2 years. There will be plenty of innocent men and women in prison for that time that haven’t faced a trial. Like most things, the Tories have brought the justice system to its knees with cuts, cuts and more cuts
    The tories are a complete bunch of cuts

Thank you, really informative

People entering the job market will be put off many professions by the current discrepancies in salaries.
    Whilst public servants are every year scrambling for any % rise they can get, they see many private companies giving decent pay rises and one-off payments to their employees.
    They may just be one-offs, but if nothing is done to reduce the imbalance it could leave many essential services understaffed in the future.