+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Classical Music Isn't For Me

Classical Music Isn't For Me

Mate came round to listen to my speakers . He spent 5 grand on his so he's utterly obsessed with music ....as long as its classical

On Saturday he was trying to get me to listen to the intricacies of a Jacqueline Du Pre string solo

It was dark and clearly incredibly skillfull but Classical music has never interested me at all .

Nor Jazz

Or Blues Jazz or Jazz Blues

That ascent of the lark by Williams is nice but modern rock music in its various forms has always been my thing .

I went to a classical concert at St David's Hall once and I was bored rigid .

Opera , that's a death sentence for me too ✋

Re: Classical Music Isn't For Me

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Mate came round to listen to my speakers . He spent 5 grand on his so he's utterly obsessed with music ....as long as its classical

On Saturday he was trying to get me to listen to the intricacies of a Jacqueline Du Pre string solo

It was dark and clearly incredibly skillfull but Classical music has never interested me at all .

Nor Jazz

That ascent of the lark by Williams is nice but modern rock music in its various forms has always been my thing .

Behave Sludge, You're making this one up. You haven't got a mate

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Behave Sludge, You're making this one up. You haven't got a mate
    After force feeding me full on classical music for two hours he's persona non grata

Nor Jazz

Bet you love all the West End and Broadway musicals though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Bet you love all the West End and Broadway musicals though.
    Now that's even worse

What a load of bollocks

Doris Day was attractive in her day mind so it's not all bad news

Now that's even worse

What a load of bollocks

Musicals are the devils spawn.

I'm with you on opera. I couldn't sit through a whole one.

Classical music, as you put it, is so diverse, it's impossible to pigeon-hole it. In the 20th century it's become more difficult to even define.

Have a try of Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima.
    I guarantee people will call it a load of shit without a second thought.

Now that's even worse

What a load of bollocks

You should watch Avenue Q!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm with you on opera. I couldn't sit through a whole one.

Classical music, as you put it, is so diverse, it's impossible to pigeon-hole it. In the 20th century it's become more difficult to even define.

Have a try of Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima.
    I guarantee people will call it a load of shit without a second thought.
    Absolutely, incredibly diverse

My mate is completely immersed in it

He wouldn't consider stuff by the beatles , led zep , Bob marley , stevie wonder to be music

I love metal and heavy rock but like reggae , two tone , some punk , indie , I can even listen to toyah if I am pushed

He just listens to classical , all day , nothing else

He wouldn't consider stuff by the beatles , led zep , Bob marley , stevie wonder to be music

I love metal and heavy rock but like reggae , two tone , some punk , indie , I can even listen to toyah if I am pushed

Great. We have two tone and reggae in common!

I don't mind a bit of classical every now and then but there just seems so much of it. Violin Symphonies and piano concertos in B major, E minor or D. I can't read music not tell the difference between all the different keys and clefs, so alot of it is lost on me.

Melon-twisting.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Melon-twisting.

Very clever 👏

You must be referring to Crispin. I felt quite uncomfortable that day I called at yours when he turned up. He seemed to deliberately exaggerate his lisp. I thought his habit of speaking when stood with his right hand resting limply at the hip to be more than a little dodgy.

I hope for your sake you were attired in rather more than slippers, vest and codpiece when he rang the doorbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    You must be referring to Crispin. I felt quite uncomfortable that day I called at yours when he turned up. He seemed to deliberately exaggerate his lisp. I thought his habit of speaking when stood with his right hand resting limply at the hip to be more than a little dodgy.

I hope for your sake you were attired in rather more than slippers, vest and codpiece when he rang the doorbell.
    We don't like his sort round here

Melon-twisting.

Love it.

Melon-twisting.

Sludge spends endless hours in the evening playing with his piccolo.

Nor Jazz

Tories fault no doubt 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Sludge spends endless hours in the evening playing with his piccolo.
    He's too modest to say so but Sludge is a better than decent singer. His song selection wouldn't be to many people's taste as most hail from the 60s and 70s. Una Paloma Blanca and Tony Christie's Avenues and Alleyways are among his repertoire.

He'd sound better still if he invested in a better karaoke machine as the microphone isn't much cop.

I'm getting a little concerned about his friendship with Crispin. I was before he appeared when he added Cher's The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s in His Kiss) to his playlist.

Not so much for its really naff lyrics but because he insists on belting it out while wearing cream-coloured leather hotpants.

Purple Haze - The Kronos Quartet