+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The holiday thread

First Team

Re: The holiday thread

No idea but will be in the UK.

Dorset looks really decent or may look at the Gower.

The thought of an airport, based on the horror stories circulating, has put me off flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Lovely part of Greece. So much to see and discover. It'll be hot in early July. Have great time!
    Thanks CN! Knew you had Greek ancestry and some interest from posts on here in the past. If you’ve any particular recommendations please do feel free to share! I got too excited as we’re going end of July, which I imagine won’t be any cooler! Fortunately both places we’re staying have pools so hopefully braced for it!

I just checked if PAOK are playing but sadly miss a European tie by a couple of days.

Going to seek out a boat trip that goes around around Mount Athos.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

A week in Cornwall.

Shocking prices but it has to be done

The nearest I get to experiencing other cultures these days is the Olympic Kebab House in Bridgend

You can get kebabs in small towns in 2est Wales these days too so that's a bonus ?

I went to Rome for a week recently, and had a great time. Lots to see, great food, and lovely weather. No problem with the flights either. Hoping to go somewhere layer in the year, but probably a bit further afield. Hopefully the airports will have calmed down by then. My advice to anyone would be that things are going to get real bad, once the schools close for the summer.

I went to Bali about 10 years ago. Climbed mount Rinjani on Lombok and stayed on Gili T. What a trip! I’d definitely recommend the Gili islands.

God, I need a holiday….

Anyone booking a foreign holiday via an airport this year is playing flight roulette
    The well documented failings of airlines and travel companies is only going to get worse in the coming months
    My mate was due to fly home after a week in Lanzarote
    The scheduled return flight was cancelled half an hour before take off
    After unsuccessfully trying to contact the numbers given they had to book into a nearby hotel for three nights
    Extra costs all around-rooms food taxis etc

My neighbour arrived at Cardiff airport on Saturday just gone
    He wasn’t allowed to board the plane because the travel agent- On The Beach - hadn’t paid for the flights
    The airline wouldn’t even allow him to purchase the tickets on the spot

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Anyone booking a foreign holiday via an airport this year is playing flight roulette
    The well documented failings of airlines and travel companies is only going to get worse in the coming months
    My mate was due to fly home after a week in Lanzarote
    The scheduled return flight was cancelled half an hour before take off
    After unsuccessfully trying to contact the numbers given they had to book into a nearby hotel for three nights
    Extra costs all around-rooms food taxis etc

My neighbour arrived at Cardiff airport on Saturday just gone
    He wasn’t allowed to board the plane because the travel agent- On The Beach - hadn’t paid for the flights
    The airline wouldn’t even allow him to purchase the tickets on the spot
    I have flown to the Caribbean, Malta , Jersey and Geneva in recent weeks . Some long queues but no more than that .
    Malta is beautiful , had a week in Gozo, lovely quiet place , then on to the mainland for a week in Marsaxlokk .
    Had a day in Valletta , what a beautiful city , a day simply wasn't enough will be returning to spend more time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I have flown to the Caribbean, Malta , Jersey and Geneva in recent weeks . Some long queues but no more than that .
    Malta is beautiful , had a week in Gozo, lovely quiet place , then on to the mainland for a week in Marsaxlokk .
    Had a day in Valletta , what a beautiful city , a day simply wasn't enough will be returning to spend more time there.
    Great to hear that Valletta is so nice. I wasn’t sure what to expect as my missus has booked this and thinks I will like it.

Norfolk Broads this year for us.
    I'm sure it would be cheaper to drive over to France and stay longer,but just to get away somewhere will be a bonus.

We had a week in both Yorkshire and Cornwall last year, which were both fantastic. The only thing with Yorkshire, it was one of the hottest weeks of the year. We had 5 days in Towyn in May and we’ve booked to go Croatia next month, then off to the north of Tenerife later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    We had a week in both Yorkshire and Cornwall last year, which were both fantastic. The only thing with Yorkshire, it was one of the hottest weeks of the year. We had 5 days in Towyn in May and we’ve booked to go Croatia next month, then off to the north of Tenerife later in the year.
    Where are you going to in Croatia. It’s my favourite country for holidays.

Jesus Christ some of you on here It's like around the world in 80 days !

When I want to chill I go down Barry Island for the afternoon

Heading down Exeter this year . My son is living there. We haven't ever met.
    No I won't be on long lost family, he's living in a donkey sanctuary and we've adopted him.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    A week in Cornwall.

Shocking prices but it has to be done

This place is worth a visit

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fl...ile-gws-wiz-hp

Ynys mon this weekend. Just back from a Cyclades island, flew to Athens then ferry from Piraeus. No cruise ships or airport = perfect. Can’t name it, too nice ��

Going to Riviera Maya in Mexico in September. Went to Gran Canaria in March and Prague in May, both without problems so hopefully Mexico will also be problem free

Pearcey, We’re staying in Dubrovnik.

Pearce, We’re staying in Dubrovnik.
    We spent two weeks there in 2014. It’s a lovely City. Well worth doing a trip into Montenegro to see Kotor and Budva. Stunning scenery and great places to visit. A short ferry ride to Lokrum is also well worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Thanks CN! Knew you had Greek ancestry and some interest from posts on here in the past. If you’ve any particular recommendations please do feel free to share! I got too excited as we’re going end of July, which I imagine won’t be any cooler! Fortunately both places we’re staying have pools so hopefully braced for it!

I just checked if PAOK are playing but sadly miss a European tie by a couple of days.

Second largest city and by far the more laid back than Athens (which I love and where I have family) but I'd say that Thessaloniki is much less touristy and has better food and tavernas. More Balkan in feel and you'll probably want to be eating out there around 21:00 as it's a lovely temp. in the evenings. That coastline has some of the best beaches in Greece. Funnily enough, Mrs CN is doing the night half marathon there on early October so we're off later in the year - she's training for the Marathon, Marathon in 2023!. There's some great walking (but tough) in the mountains which I used to do back in the day. These days, I'd rather do the boat trip too which'll be lovely! Fresh seafood, you can't go wrong whenever you get the chance.

The history is less classical than Athens but rich and obviously, as you mentioned, Ottoman but there's Roman sites too. Even modern history of the area is fascinating though not to everyone's taste (circa 2017 - 45).

Shame about PAOK. It's a different football experience that's for sure. My ideal game would be PAOK v AEK Athens and I'd love to take that in one day. The Toumba stadium is like an Amphitheatre.

The Aegean is just gorgeous KoB, you'll love it. If I think of anything more I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post

1917-45! Obviously!

Here's a picture of the Ring of Fire at PAOK's stadium. They're crazy I tell you!
    Attachment 4972

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We spent two weeks there in 2014. It’s a lovely City. Well worth doing a trip into Montenegro to see Kotor and Budva. Stunning scenery and great places to visit. A short ferry ride to Lokrum is also well worthwhile.
    Only staying a week, but if we enjoy it, we’ll probably go again, The Lokrum plan sounds good though.

Only staying a week, but if we enjoy it, we’ll probably go again, The Lokrum plan sounds good though.
    Lokrum is a tiny island well worth a visit. Also worth walking the city fortress walls surrounding Dubrovnik. It’s a very atmospheric place

I didn’t really like Malta, maybe stayed in the wrong place, can’t even remember where we stayed now.

Gozo was an interesting trip, quite enjoyed that, getting the ferry over is very simple and saves on booking a trip. Also did a day in Valletta, hottest day I can remember but enjoyed Valletta a lot more, had a better feel about it.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Thank you.
    It’s now added to the list